Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HubiC compares filesystems, goes with ReiserFS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HubiC compares filesystems, goes with ReiserFS

rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
edited July 2016 in General

An interesting behind-the-scenes read: https://forums.hubic.com/showthread.php?174279-Performance-problems-and-stability
also explains quite a bit about what's up with all those failed uploads recently, maybe it's not just because of the speed limit.

Comments

• DamianDamian Member
    edited July 2016

I remember when reiserfs first came out. A lot of big companies got on board with it, since it was supposed to replace then-popular ext2.

I remember when Hans Reiser threw a big hissy fit regarding the beginning of the removal of the giant lock from the Linux kernel so that we could, y'know, have proper SMP, and so network cards couldn't jam up the entire kernel and things like that. I think only Adam Armstrong of Observium tops the level of petulance.

I remember when Hans Reiser disappeared. Because he went to prison for murdering his wife.

Can't really say I can think of a need to use it in the modern world. Perfect choice for a company that can't seem to bill me consistently without sending me invoices daily.

Thanked by 3raindog308 lbft rds100
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
  • texteditortexteditor Member
    edited July 2016

@Francisco said:
    It's killer.

low effort

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited July 2016

@Damian said:
    I remember when reiserfs first came out. A lot of big companies got on board with it, since it was supposed to replace then-popular ext2.

I remember when Hans Reiser threw a big hissy fit regarding the beginning of the removal of the giant lock from the Linux kernel so that we could, y'know, have proper SMP, and so network cards couldn't jam up the entire kernel and things like that. I think only Adam Armstrong of Observium tops the level of petulance.

I remember when Hans Reiser disappeared. Because he went to prison for murdering his wife.

Can't really say I can think of a need to use it in the modern world. Perfect choice for a company that can't seem to bill me consistently without sending me invoices daily.

So, the summary of your understanding of the scientific method is: "Disregard data, bitch irrelevantly about morality".

I feel so lucky that so many useful things got invented before the average IQ got that huge dip.

• @deadbeef said:
    So, the summary of your understanding of the scientific method is: "Disregard data, bitch irrelevantly about morality".

I feel so lucky that so many useful things got invented before the average IQ got that huge dip.

please enlighten us as to why companies should choose software with an esoteric codebase whose prime maintainer will be in prison for life

Thanked by 2Damian lbft
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2016

texteditor said: please enlighten us as to why companies should choose software with an esoteric codebase whose prime maintainer will be in prison for life

Because according to their test results it works better for them, than anything else they tried?

The "prison" issue is way overblown, and I don't see what's particularly funny about that either. What, when someone goes to jail, you will disregard and make fun of whatever real achievements or contributions they might have created before the fact (or if they get released, also long after)? Sorry but that stinks. Not any better than making fun of a software product because the author is black, a woman, or gay.

Thanked by 3deadbeef xyz yomero
  • @rm_ said:
    black, a woman, or gay.

yes, all three are comparable to being a murderer

Thanked by 2raindog308 lbft
  • rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@texteditor said:

@rm_ said:
    black, a woman, or gay.

I sincerely hope you do not mean this.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2016

rm_ said: the author is black, a woman, or gay.

Are you reading Gitblur's commit logs from all the crazies again?

No, those are not the same. Those you're all born as, you can't 'really' change. He wasn't born a murderer. Yes, poor Reiser locked up getting 3 square meals a day for the rest of his life while his old lady was killed and buried in the woods.

Anyway, this is all derailing the discussion.

Reiser has its good moments, especially if you're doing with incredibly huge inode counts. Isn't it still the preferred filesystem for obscenely huge maildir's?

I've had nothing but headaches myself with high inode counts when doing backups for our OpenVZ plans. I think we went through a half dozen if not a dozen revisions trying to put together something that would handle OK with the amount of data we were throwing at it.

Francisco

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

rsk said: I sincerely hope you do not mean this.

Francisco said: Are you reading Gitblur's commit logs from all the crazies again?

In fairness, I read @rm_ to say "you shouldn't discriminate against code because it came from a murderer because that's irrelevant just like it is if the author is black or gay".

It's not how I would have made that point and you could certainly read it another way...depends if you're in a "giving the benefit of the doubt" mood.

Francisco said: Those you're all born as, you can't 'really' change.

You told me if I had the surgery, we could get married and you'd give me a free KVM...

Thanked by 1yomero
  • @texteditor said:
    please enlighten us as to why companies should choose software with an esoteric codebase whose prime maintainer will be in prison for life

Today is Sunday, the sun is shinning, there is a nice breeze, the crickets are screaming in the distance and I generally feel fantastic. So I will respond to you without my customary Nietzsche-sque brutality.

It's what @rm_ said. They created an acceptance process, they run tests, the tests produced results, they picked a winner based on the acceptance process and the tests results.

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited July 2016

@Francisco said:
    No, those are not the same. Those you're all born as, you can't 'really' change. He wasn't born a murderer.

The original statement by @rm_ was:

Not any better than making fun of a software product because the author is black, a woman, or gay.

You do see that the time when you aquire a characteristic is irrelevant, I hope. @rm_ 's argument is exactly the same if one substitutes black, gay,woman with tall, rich, deadbeef.

In other words, the output and its producer are 2 distinct things.

• lbftlbft Member
    edited July 2016

raindog308 said: In fairness, I read @rm_ to say "you shouldn't discriminate against code because it came from a murderer because that's irrelevant just like it is if the author is black or gay".

I discriminate against code that is effectively unmaintained and whose name is so toxic that it will never have a healthy community around it. The off-colour jokes around ReiserFS are just a symptom of the fact that the project is dead and not coming back.

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

@raindog308 said:
    You told me if I had the surgery, we could get married and you'd give me a free KVM...

Or, you could just shill like everybody else for a free BuyVM KVM.

• @rsk said:

@texteditor said:

@rm_ said:
    black, a woman, or gay.

I sincerely hope you do not mean this.

it was sarcasm, read the full post that i quoted to see why

• dailydaily Member

Thanked by 2Nekki kingpin