Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SFTP/FTPS on Vesta CP or other CPs
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SFTP/FTPS on Vesta CP or other CPs

spitzspitz Member

Hi,

Newbie question.

I've tried several open source control panels and love Vesta CP the most for its simplicity but I can't figure out how to upload files using SFTP or FTPS. I know Vesta CP has a paid add on for this but it is more than what I need for something that I run purely for learning and not commercial. All I need is a newbie friendly CP that allow uploading file using SFTP/FTPS. Or is there something that I miss?

Helpful advises are much appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• I'm not 100% sure on vesta's user setup, but worst case scenario you can always sftp using your root login.

Also, google is your friend.

• spitzspitz Member

Jonchun said: sftp using your root login

Lol, didn't realize that option is available. FSM bless DO extensive tutorials for noobs.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

When you create a VestaCP user you can set a shell on that page. Set it to bash. That user then has SFTP access.

Thanked by 1mehargags
  • spitzspitz Member
    edited July 2016

@jarland said:
    When you create a VestaCP user you can set a shell on that page. Set it to bash. That user then has SFTP access.

Meaning I can connect using something like FileZilla or do I still need to connect using terminal?

Also, one quick question. So I follow DO tutorial on SFTP using terminal but when Ils, it doesn't show the directory on my PC. Am I missing something?

Apology for the newbie question.

• ^^What he said :P Every user gets their own SFTP account but you can also add additional FTP users on a domain-by-domain basis.

• If you use vesta set to bash

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@spitz said:

@jarland said:

Meaning I can connect using something like FileZilla or do I still need to connect using terminal?

Also, one quick question. So I follow DO tutorial on SFTP using terminal but when Ils, it doesn't show the directory on my PC. Am I missing something?

Yeah, any shell account with bash shell should be usable from FileZilla (assuming no nonstandard customization of SSH config).

Not sure why you wouldn't see the user's directory when logged in though.

Thanked by 1spitz
  • @spitz said:

@jarland said:

The last I checked it was lls and not Ils (the first letter is a lowercase L rather than I).

Thanked by 1spitz