Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for storage VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for storage VPS

jpsjjpsj Member
edited March 2013 in Providers

Minimum RAM
150GB+ disk
Location UK

At the moment I have this for $3/mo but location is US, something similar in the UK would be awesome

Comments

• JacobJacob Member

$3/month! Hehe... Increase it to $7.00 and I'll sort you something out in the UK.

• 3$ is too low, up your price and i can help you find a decent offer in Germany.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

It is not exactly UK, but choopa NJ gets the best connection from the UK to the U.S. Around 70-90ms at times.

I can offer the following out of choopa:

RAM: 256mb
    Cores: 2
    Storage: 150Gb (RAID 5)
    Bandwidth: 100mbit
    Price: $3.00p/m

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/8375/fliphost-community-inspired-offer-storage-ssd-and-more-limited-1tb-for-7

Put choopa in the order notes.

• Each week I see a thread like this.
    And I don't want to open a new one... so, I will try here and lets see if someone answers

My question is, anyone offers some of this cheap storage, but in KVM excluding BuyVM and Prometeus?
    I hate OpenVZ, thanks.

• @yomero depends what you call cheap, and how much storage you need.
    I.e. for 500GB - a kimsufi could be a good choice.
    For 3TB - maybe i can offer a good deal (good at the price per GB i mean).
    I

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited March 2013

@rds100 said: I.e. for 500GB - a kimsufi could be a good choice.

Which I don't like... That paper stuff that probably I must send isn't a cool idea u_u

And 3TB is overkill for my needs

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@Fliphost said: I can offer the following out of choopa:

RAM: 256mb

KVM?

• jpsjjpsj Member

Can't really beat the Fliphost deal. Migrating my storage VPS to Choopa now.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@yomero said: Which I don't like... That paper stuff that probably I must send isn't a cool idea u_u

told ya before to share one, but you're gay u.u :*

@AnthonySmith

No it is OpenVZ.

It it's overselling you are worried about, I can assure you that you may use all the space.

@Fliphost

I can't even save money with your prices! Got one

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

@jackpea Happy to have you with us. Your migration is also complete.

@netomx Welcome Aboard

@RobertClarke ?

• @netomx said: told ya before to share one, but you're gay u.u :*

LOL! Sorry n_n

• @yomero
    Paperwork for Kimsufi? Where are you from? And why the hate for OVZ?

• Probably because OpenVZ can be oversold on the disk space, so you might not get your promised space.

• @Magiobiwan
    This would be assuming the worst. Good luck finding a 200GB+ offer that is KVM for 3$ a month.

Clients usually use less than 10% of their assigned disk, and with the increase of diskspace in general i see nothing wrong with openvz and how it handles it. If you are overselling shit so bad that you are even overselling diskspace you are doing it all wrong.

• @Fliphost said: RAM: 256mb

It looks like a good deal.
    Can anyone explain me how can I adjust this server to make a instant backup?
    If one of the advantages of the use a BACKUP server is the fact you do not need to REMEMBER to create backups in your external HD, I'd like to know how can I config it to incremental backup 1 to 1 min. Is this possible?
    Do I need to use a software for this kind of work?

Tks!

@DragonDF

It depends what you are backing up .

Easiest why would be an rsync script set on a cron job. Plenty of other options though.

• jpsjjpsj Member

@DragonDF

I highly recommend CrashPlan, works across many operating systems and it encrypts everything you backup using your own key.

@jackpea

I'm told its quite slow. Written in java I believe as well?

• jpsjjpsj Member

@Fliphost

The UI isn't the most responsive but it isn't slow, that's probably because it uses Java. In the past I've only ever used it on my LAN but now I've got my Fliphost VPS I'll be using it a lot more over the net, uploads right now are nice and speedy maxing out my 10Mbps upload.

@jackpea

Must have improved since someone last mentioned it here. Awesome :)

• @blergh_ said: Paperwork for Kimsufi? Where are you from? And why the hate for OVZ?

Mexico. And probably they will want at least a copy of my ID =/
    And I hate openvz for several reasons:

• As discussed multiple times, massive overselling.
    • The inability to access some kernel features, mostly filesystem related, which can be achieved with a KVM one.

But I still use OpenVZ containers for other stuff, like all my gameservers.

@yomero said: Mexico. And probably they will want at least a copy of my ID =/

they will. they asked me

• @jackpea said: @DragonDF

I highly recommend CrashPlan, works across many operating systems and it encrypts everything you backup using your own key.

I had CrashPlan and I can say: it is VERY slow.
    And the cost is not so attractive if you do not use UNLIMITED plan.

I was using a connection with 70 Mbs to 80Mbs (down e upload) and... it was uploading very very slow (something as 100 to 200kbs.

• MiBMiB Member

I wouldn't recommend CrashPlan because of the client's memory usage. It's just too high for a service intended to run all the time my PC is on. I tried to backup a partition with 160k files and the result was the client allocating 1.5 GB of RAM. I searched the net and someone pointed out that the client probably holds the entire file list in memory.

The upload speed was not bad from Europe, I was able to reach up to 10 Mbps.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

BackBlaze works great, it just absolutely kills my internet connection during backup :( totally unusable until it's done.
    I've got a 36M Down, 6M up connection but it gets totally useless then.

• FreekFreek Member

For 'fast' Unlimited Backups, not slow as Crashplan/Backblaze etc (at least from EU), try McAfee Online Backup. I currently have 2500GB (2.5TB) backed up online. Average upload speeds are 20Mbit (my upload is 50Mbit). Price is 50 euros a year and is powered by Mozy.com