Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to obtain US number that can receive SMS's?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to obtain US number that can receive SMS's?

Weird question I know but does anyone know how can someone obtain a US number that can receive SMS's if he is out of the US?

Comments

• BochiBochi Member
    edited July 2016

I guess NomadSMS (https://twitter.com/nomadsms) was exactly what you are asking for.
    Sadly the guy sold it as far as I know and I just realized it seems discontinued...

/EDIT/
    Just put your title into Google and it came up with some pretty interesting solutions! :)
    So in case anyone cares, those are disposable ones - like the disposable mail services:

Well, but they claim to allow for private numbers also. Now sure about how much trust I would put in such services...the listed ones where the ones that "looked the most trustworthy". :P

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

Twilio can do this. Costs $1 per number per month.

• @vfuse said:

Do you know if that number can also be used to verify a phone number in facebook, skype, PayPal etc etc?

• TomTom Member

FreedomPop?

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

@zafouhar said:

@vfuse said:

Do you know if that number can also be used to verify a phone number in facebook, skype, PayPal etc etc?

I'm not really sure if that will work but I think you can see the phone numbers before you buy them so you can give it a try.

• anveo.com should work well

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited July 2016

zafouhar said: Do you know if that number can also be used to verify a phone number in facebook, skype, PayPal etc etc?

Twilio can't, not for Facebook anyway. Last I spoke with them a couple of years ago:

"SMS long codes and short codes work on two completely separate networks, and unfortunately we do not currently support SMS to/from short codes. If you'd like, I can certainly close the account on your behalf and refund your fee"

I don't know much about the telecom system over there but it seems to be somewhat true.

• try linespan

• @ricardo said:

zafouhar said: Do you know if that number can also be used to verify a phone number in facebook, skype, PayPal etc etc?

Twilio can't, not for Facebook anyway. Last I spoke with them a couple of years ago:

"SMS long codes and short codes work on two completely separate networks, and unfortunately we do not currently support SMS to/from short codes. If you'd like, I can certainly close the account on your behalf and refund your fee"

I don't know much about the telecom system over there but it seems to be somewhat true.

Did you find any support SMS's from short codes?

• Are you looking to scale something up or do some one-off personal thing? I ask because it probably depends.

IIRC I didn't. I was buiding up FB profiles but ended up using a mix between UK numbers that could receive SMS messages and transcribing voice calls using pocketsphinx. My goal was purely to phone verify accounts.

• @ricardo said:
    Are you looking to scale something up or do some one-off personal thing? I ask because it probably depends.

IIRC I didn't. I was buiding up FB profiles but ended up using a mix between UK numbers that could receive SMS messages and transcribing voice calls using pocketsphinx. My goal was purely to phone verify accounts.

I'm looking for something that works and I can keep using forever really

• @taro222 said:
    anveo.com should work well

Do you know if they can receive SMS's from shortcodes?

• DylanDylan Member
    edited July 2016

Google Voice supports short codes. You do need a US number to set up an account, but you can just pay for a single month's service at another provider and use that number for activation. As soon as you get a GV number you can drop the other one.

Thanked by 1ricardo
  • Google Voice

Yeah, I used to use them too but they changed their setup and they no longer suited me. They'd be a good choice.

• greenwebpagegreenwebpage Member, Patron Provider

i know twilio.com and vitelity.com that are very good

• You can try magicjack where you receive sms