Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linode now accepting PayPal (sort of)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Linode now accepting PayPal (sort of)

https://blog.linode.com/2016/07/26/paypal-payments/

We’re happy to announce our newest feature: Payments via PayPal. You can now add credit to your account by transferring funds from a PayPal account.

While any customer can use PayPal to fund their account, new customers will still need to sign up using a credit card. You can use PayPal from then on.

This is in part because we don’t yet have the ability to automatically transfer funds from PayPal. If you intend on paying only via PayPal, you will need to ensure that you have enough credit on your Linode account to cover your next invoice. Otherwise, our system will attempt to collect any remaining balance from the credit card you have on file.

Thanked by 2TheOnlyDK seikan

Comments

• sinsin Member

Linode trying to come out of the dinosaur age :)

Thanked by 1elgs
  • seikanseikan Member

Finally! I has been waited PayPal in Linode for ages!

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

jaypeesmith said: This is in part because we don’t yet have the ability to automatically transfer funds from PayPal.

You can enable this with a quick call to PayPal. Why would they code PayPal into their billing and not do it with reference payments?

• Maybe because ColdFusion developers are as rare as COBOL developers, whilst they remain on the legacy codebase they probably have a reluctance to add more features.

More disappointing is the last update about the network improvements was "May 2, 2016 3:09 pm", DigitalOcean will eventually wipe the floor with Linode. DO annouces block storage and Linode announces Paypal support.

I say this as a customer of Linode spending $200+ month across three accounts, their pace of innovation is terrible yet Im currently sticking with them as they do what its says on the tin.

• tommytommy Member

Somewhere I read they plan to use python for their next billing software.

Different people different use case :) not everybody need block storage/paypal. But nice to have them. I'm happy they finally accept paypal as payment, even you must do manual payment (add fund).

• HxxxHxxx Member

Linode is not competing with DO. Different monsters. Linode's panel is kind of more advanced, DO is more user friendly. DO and Vultr are competing directly. I dont think DO is competing with AWS or Azure, otherwise is a lost battle. Azure has big acceptance in the corporate world where everything has to be Microsoft. AWS is the typical recommended and known cloud provider among veterans.

But Linode being developers oriented, one could say, it would make sense if their stack was cutting edge. Ex: UI being React, bootstrap based, along with node.js , mongo , python, etc. Not that it matters much, but that's kind of DO way.

I think Linode is self funded (minions, if I'm wrong, correct me) vs DO which is totally VC, that might be important for some people.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Hxxx said: I think Linode is self funded (minions, if I'm wrong, correct me) vs DO which is totally VC, that might be important for some people.

Didn't Linode take a like $100M loan from the bank to fund all these big upgrades or did I misread? DO for sure just took a $130M or something bank loan.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Hxxx
  • HxxxHxxx Member

Now that you mention that I did a search and was unable to find any results related to that, maybe my google ninja is not so strong. Can you provide a source? This is indeed interesting.

@Francisco said:

Hxxx said: I think Linode is self funded (minions, if I'm wrong, correct me) vs DO which is totally VC, that might be important for some people.

Didn't Linode take a like $100M loan from the bank to fund all these big upgrades or did I misread? DO for sure just took a $130M or something bank loan.

Francisco

• I'm glad the title said "sort of" because this is just too weird. Why not just do it like everybody else in the world? I'm sure their server offerings are everything they're supposed to be, but this is just embarrassing.

• kaflokaflo Member
    edited July 2016

I wish Linode had a $5 a month plan (1GB).

• tommytommy Member

kaflo said: I wish Linode had a $5 a month plan (1GB).

I wish they offer $1/month to compete with GVH