Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's better for Plex streaming?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's better for Plex streaming?

mtsbatalhamtsbatalha Member
edited July 2016 in General

Hello guys,

What's better for plex personal streaming:
(up to 2 concurrent streamings)

1. Kimsufi KS-3C - 8G i3-2130 @3.40GHz 1x2TB @100Mbps - 9 EUR/month

2. Online.net XC 2016 Atom C2750 @2.4GHz 16G 1TB @1Gbps - 16 EUR/month

It's possible stream 1080P on some of that servers?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider

When looking at the hardware...i'd say kimsufi. The CPU of that box has better single thread performance. If single thread performance will be important depends a bit on the software you're going to use.
    100Mbps should do the job just fine for 2 streaming connections.

Thanked by 1mtsbatalha
  • I bought one of the OVH 12TB backup servers, which was supposed to be an Atom, ended up with Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU D-1521 for the same price.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Rough rule of thumb - you need 2k of CPU passmark per 1080p stream, so if your CPU scores 4k+ then you'll probably be ok with 2 concurrent 1080p streams.

Thanked by 2telephone 4n0nx
  • @Nekki said:
    Rough rule of thumb - you need 2k of CPU passmark per 1080p stream, so if your CPU scores 4k+ then you'll probably be ok with 2 concurrent 1080p streams.

You mean transcoding or streaming?

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited July 2016

@traceray said:

@Nekki said:

You mean transcoding or streaming?

Transcoding, I think.

My KS-4B with 6.5k score seems to have no issues with 2 simultaneously transcoded streams, with headroom for more. So, I am quite certain KS-3c with 4k score could also pull 2 simultaneously transcoded streams off without the headroom, this time.

• @mtsbatalha said:
    Hello guys,

What's better for plex personal streaming:
    (up to 2 concurrent streamings)

1. Kimsufi KS-3C - 8G i3-2130 @3.40GHz 1x2TB @100Mbps - 9 EUR/month

2. Online.net XC 2016 Atom C2750 @2.4GHz 16G 1TB @1Gbps - 16 EUR/month

It's possible stream 1080P on some of that servers?

Thanks in advance!

Hey, check out dacentec, they have cheap dedicated servers with 1 gbps, dacentec.com

• NekkiNekki Veteran

traceray said: You mean transcoding or streaming?

Transcoding, you can direct play as much as your connection will allow on pretty much anything.

Thanked by 1traceray
  • Dacentec may not be a good option if the OP is in Europe, depending on how good the international transit is between them and the OP's ISP.

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

If you are looking to transcode the videos and then stream then maybe NeuCoder.com would suffice your needs. Its like Amazon's Elastic Transcoder but lesser in cost and reliable in service ;)

• @BlaZe said:
    If you are looking to transcode the videos and then stream then maybe NeuCoder.com would suffice your needs. Its like Amazon's Elastic Transcoder but lesser in cost and reliable in service ;)

It's for personal or business purposes?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

BlaZe said: If you are looking to transcode the videos and then stream then maybe NeuCoder.com would suffice your needs. Its like Amazon's Elastic Transcoder but lesser in cost and reliable in service ;)

Unless I'm making a mistake somewhere, that service works out at $1.2 per hour of HD stream, so you can get less than 8 hours of HD transcoding for the monthly price of a KC-3C, which in theory can manage 1400+ hours of HD transcoding per month.

@mtsbatalha said:

Both :)

@Nekki,
    Yes but the CPUs are powerful enough to encode the videos in less time and you can directly stream as well. KC-3C is good but comparing just 1 CPU with a whole bunch of CPUs isn't a noteworthy comparison, is it ?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@BlaZe said:

@mtsbatalha said:

Both :)

@Nekki,
    Yes but the CPUs are powerful enough to encode the videos in less time and you can directly stream as well. KC-3C is good but comparing just 1 CPU with a whole bunch of CPUs isn't a noteworthy comparison, is it ?

In this case, it is. Faster transcoding is of little benefit in the OP's scenario, so its not really a relevant factor.

@Nekki said:
    In this case, it is. Faster transcoding is of little benefit in the OP's scenario, so its not really a relevant factor.

You are right. But incase he would require parallel encoding of his videos then his KimSufi might get throw slower performance whereas NeuCoder is designed in such a way to have parallel processing of multiple videos to get encoded & streamed.