Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need help understanding reverse DNS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need help understanding reverse DNS

DStroutDStrout Member
edited March 2013 in General

As you know, I'm setting up my own DNS. To be clear, this is for many reasons, not least of which is to learn more about how it all works. Anyway, with that in mind, I'm trying to figure out in particular how reverse DNS works. I've found lots of tutorials, and I think I'm getting the basic idea. This one, especially, helped me figure out something I didn't understand - why I only did three octets before the in-addr.arpa bit. As it shows, you specify the last one in the zone file before the PTR, and that determines the full IP address you're referring to. (I think, correct me if I'm wrong).

Anyway, the real question is do I need to set up reverse DNS myself, when SolusVM already has options for this? Does my rDNS config in BIND make any difference? Which of the two is followed? And finally, why, when I try to set rDNS via SolusVM (through RamNode) do I get this error?
Hope someone can help me with these questions. Since I'm doing this with RamNode, I might as well also tag @Nick_A.

Comments

• You don't set reverse dns, the provider who's been assigned the IP does that.

In order for a reverse dns record to be set (by your provider) you need to first create an A record for that hostname. The error message is telling you that you haven't done that.

• DStroutDStrout Member
    edited March 2013

@sleddog So as I understand it, you're saying I don't need to configure rDNS - the SolusVM network tab does do it for me? And where do I set the A record? In my domain's current DNS, or through SolusVM somewhere? Because I already have an A record on my domain corresponding to the hostname I entered in the textbox. The IPs don't match (yet, they will), but the record is there, but SolusVM says it couldn't find it.

• flyfly Member

@dstrout

say you want to set

herpusderp.us

as the rDNS record for your vps's IP address:

1.1.168.192. IN PTR herpusderp.us

What you'll want to do is go to your registrar, or whoever hosts the authoritative nameservers for your domain name (herpusderp.us), and have them enter an A record that points herpusderp.us to 192.168.1.1:

herpusderp.us. IN A 192.168.1.1

Once you have the A record set in place with your registrar, wait a few hours and go back to solusvm to set rDNS

• @DStrout said: And where do I set the A record? In my domain's current DNS, or through SolusVM somewhere?

In your DNS. For example, create A record "me.mydomain.com" with an IP. Test it with dig. When it works, set reverse-dns via your host's control panel (or if that is not available, submit a reverse-dns request to your provider... "please set reverse dns for IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xx to me.mydomain.com").

@DStrout said: The IPs don't match (yet, they will), but the record is there, but SolusVM says it couldn't find it.

Perhaps it hasn't propagated yet, or there is an error. Use "dig" to test it.

• @fly said: What you'll want to do is go to your registrar, or whoever hosts the authoritative nameservers

He is hosting his own DNS, haven't you been following? :)

Leave the registrar out of it, too confusing.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Yep, just wait for your DNS to propagate and RDNS should work.

Oh and just use your domain or subdomain.

• DStroutDStrout Member
    edited March 2013

Sorry, I wasn't clear when I said the records would match. I haven't actually changed it yet and I'm not going to until I finish configuring this new server as my master DNS box. I guess I'll just have to leave this bit be until everything else is configured. Anyway, I think I get the idea of what I need to do now, thanks for all the help.