Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPN on NATed VPS - how?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPN on NATed VPS - how?

Good day.

I've got the NATed VPS and 20 forwarded ports. The primary task of it to serve VPN connection with my Windows and Android devices. And now i'm trying to solve the problem with NAT (of course, i've tried to google it, found many info, but no answer). So how I see the situation:

1. setup VPN server in traditional way, forward port 1723 (for example) to open port on host machine. In this case i need to do something with VPN-client (download custom or something else), because OS built-in clients don't let me to choose the connection port. But i [really] need the variant working from the box;

2. other [tragically unknown] way.

Please help me how to do. The better way is not modifiyng the client software but if there is no choice of course i'll do it.

Thank you!

Comments

• tommytommy Member

check lowendspirit

Thanked by 1MarshalChe
  • @tommy, thank you! lowendspirit is error 522 now, i'll see it later. @K4Y5, thank you too!

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

Have you read the entire post rather than just a thread title?

OP tries to find a way how to specify custom port for VPN clients on Windows and Android devices.

Thanked by 1MarshalChe
  • @exception0x876, actually i'm trying to find the way to start vPN behind NAT with smallest count of problems. Thank you for your opinion ;)

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

exception0x876 said: Have you read the entire post rather than just a thread title?

OP tries to find a way how to specify custom port for VPN clients on Windows and Android devices.

Yes, I did. I gathered that the OP would want an easy way of getting a VPN up and running on a cheap VPS. In that case, Nyr's script is the easiest way forward!

MarshalChe said: @exception0x876, actually i'm trying to find the way to start vPN behind NAT with smallest count of problems. Thank you for your opinion ;)

There ^

• bashlykbashlyk Member
    edited July 2016

MarshalChe said: In this case i need to do something with VPN-client (download custom or something else), because OS built-in clients don't let me to choose the connection port. But i [really] need the variant working from the box;

If you are planning to use NYR's script, set your port number during the initial installation. After that the script will generate .ovpn (client side file) with the port number that you have set.

If it is an existing setup, you can change the client port in the .ovpn file. This can be done in both in Windows and Android.

Example of .ovpn file:
    client

dev tun

proto tcp

sndbuf 0

rcvbuf 0

remote server_ip 1723 <<<<<<<< set your port here

Also make sure to change the port on the server side under server.conf file.

Thanked by 1MarshalChe