Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Dell Powerconnect or HP Procurve
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dell Powerconnect or HP Procurve

SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Looking for a new switch for my home office. It switches traffic for our DDoS testbed and internal pre-production environment so looking for something reasonable.

Currently I am leaning towards a Dell Powerconnect 5324, I should be able to pick one up for less than $100 (used) at auction. Its has port statistics, aggregation and a good Mpps rating.

This said, I have also seen some HP Procuves going for less than this (i.e J4900B and similar era switches). A friend of mine swears by HP tech.

Anyone got any recommendations based on the features or any past experiences? I'm not a hardware guy so I defer to the expertise of others.

From what I understand I will need to probably mod the fans in the Dell (or put up with them) as they are quite loud.... Not sure about the procuve but its a similar form factor (40mm fans are never really quiet...). So thats a factor.

Comments

• Procurve have a lifetime warranty - dont know if that is transferable or not though...