Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seafile Ltd or GmbH
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Seafile Ltd or GmbH

Anyone here using seafile? Recently got an email that they have internal problem.

Which version would you prefer to use in the future?

Ref : https://seafile.de/en/about-the-future-of-seafile/

Comments

• NixtrenNixtren Member
    edited July 2016

Seafile Ltd explanations are more plausible to me. Also, Seafile GmbH wasn't cool by privatizing the community forum, that puts me off.

Thanked by 1Safehousecloud
  • Wira_SoenaryoWira_Soenaryo Member
    edited July 2016

I myself always download from Ltd.. pretty shock suddently receieved an email from GmbH..

@boernd thanks for the blog update..

I think I also will stay with Ltd too..

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Honestly, not the least bit interested in a company that set themselves up for this situation. It's like being in the middle of two friends breaking up, to which I say "Call me when you get your shit together, I'm not sticking around for your drama."

Granted I never really got hooked on seafile so it's easier for me to dismiss them.

• Seafile Ltd seems more legit at the moment. Not sure what's going on between both of them but as @jarland said it will hurt the project and software. Sad thing it's all about money ...

• I trust GmbH more then Ltd. What they say about breaking privacy law.. breaking a national law is worse than breaking parts of a contract between two small organisations imo.
    I also don't like they way they handle this split up. Not very professional to kinda offend another organisation with quite uncertain argumentation and something like a Q&A. Looks like they have to hide something or try to distract from a reason which might make one trusting the GmbH. ..cheating

• What's the difference between them? Which one offers more features for the community version?

• YuraYura Member
    edited April 2017

Edit: Didn't see previous message is a bump of an year old thread...

• WSSWSS Member

@Yura It's OK brah. Maybe we can talk about OwnCloud vs NextCloud!

Thanked by 1Yura
  • YuraYura Member

@WSS said:
    @Yura It's OK brah. Maybe we can talk about OwnCloud vs NextCloud!

Before editing my post, I actually wrote: "Welcome to OwnCloud vs NextCloud part 2?" but then saw that links in the thread lead to nowhere cause Jurassic old.

Did you evaluate NextCloud after all? It feels like OwnCloud development lost all momentum after original team left the company.

Also, another "fun" topic is Gogs vs Gitea fork. (Though, I personally prefer Gitlab so far).

• WSSWSS Member

@Yura said:
    Did you evaluate NextCloud after all? It feels like OwnCloud development lost all momentum after original team left the company.

I did, and it's actually a much more complete project than OwnCloud. I ended up just setting up a simple upload script for folks to share their pics for the project- which still required more help than it should have for people who are Instagrammers.

Also, another "fun" topic is Gogs vs Gitea fork. (Though, I personally prefer Gitlab so far).

Oh god. Forks of self-hosted git websites because the guy goes away for a few weeks. The times we live in.. (I just use github, myself, because I am a scrub)

• YuraYura Member

@WSS said:
    I did, and it's actually a much more complete project than OwnCloud.

Came to the same conclusion.

Oh god. Forks of self-hosted git websites because the guy goes away for a few weeks. The times we live in.. (I just use github, myself, because I am a scrub)

I facepalmed so hard, my forehead received semi-permanent damage.

NO to Github and their SJW politics. WTF, hoster of my code repos should be apolitical whatsoever.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

WSS said: Forks of self-hosted git websites because the guy goes away for a few weeks.

That's... not really accurate. The problem has been ongoing for longer than that, and has to do with the approach to development, not a single absence. See also here.

• WSSWSS Member

@Yura said:
    I facepalmed so hard, my forehead received semi-permanent damage.

NO to Github and their SJW politics. WTF, hoster of my code repos should be apolitical whatsoever.

Didn't bother with their politics- if I based my business on other's politics, I'd refuse service to pretty much everything and everyone. GitHub works for the few projects I work with (they were already there), and that's fine.

I still self-host my own projects in CVS, because it's worked perfectly fine for the last 20+ years for everything.

• WSSWSS Member

@joepie91 said:

WSS said: Forks of self-hosted git websites because the guy goes away for a few weeks.

That's... not really accurate. The problem has been ongoing for longer than that, and has to do with the approach to development, not a single absence. See also here.

So, they're also annoyed that the original author wants complete ownership. Linux was like that for a hell of a long time, too. If they don't like it, they can fork off- which they have.

Having a fit over someone wanting control over their own project is just silly. They were allowed to move on with their vision which isn't his, so, I give this a big "MEH".

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@WSS said:

@joepie91 said:

So, they're also annoyed that the original author wants complete ownership. Linux was like that for a hell of a long time, too. If they don't like it, they can fork off- which they have.

Having a fit over someone wanting control over their own project is just silly. They were allowed to move on with their vision which isn't his, so, I give this a big "MEH".

Where are you seeing them "having a fit"? As far as I know, there's no animosity between the projects at all. You started by ridiculing the fork based on a misunderstanding what it's about, I'm just correcting your claim...

• WSSWSS Member

@joepie91 said:
    Where are you seeing them "having a fit"? As far as I know, there's no animosity between the projects at all. You started by ridiculing the fork based on a misunderstanding what it's about, I'm just correcting your claim...

The first couple bits I read used "Author is often inaccessible for weeks at a time" for the justification of the fork. I should have just said "Oh", since I really don't give a shit.

So, "Oh."

• BAKABAKA Member

For the update of this thread, there's an announcement "Seafile Ltd. and Seafile GmbH end the dispute"
    https://forum.seafile.com/t/seafile-ltd-and-seafile-gmbh-end-the-dispute/2099

Thanked by 2jamesrat raynor
  • May be AB or Oy?