Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Spec requirements for Minecraft server for 2 boys?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Spec requirements for Minecraft server for 2 boys?

aFriendaFriend Member

Two kids want to play minecraft PC (west coast US) . What kind of minimum specs should be adequate for this? It is not going to be a public server.. but a private server.

Comments

• Master_BoMaster_Bo Member
    edited July 2016

384Mb RAM/10Gb disk space/1 CPU core at least 2GHz might be enough, if vanilla Minecraft. Fast disks recommended.

If heavy server mods, such as Bukkit/Spigot etc, will be used then at least 1Gb RAM recommended. Add minimal 128-192Mb per additional player.

Thanked by 2aFriend eric1212
  • VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

There's a lot of factors, but absolute minimum running on something like MineOS, I would say 256MB RAM, 2GB SSD, with at least 1 core @ 1GHz - assuming your two kids don't have any other friends or plugins.

Thanked by 1aFriend
  • @master_bo @virMach - I might be able to free up the 2 euro dedi from online.net - the one with Via Nano U2250 processor (1.66ghz capable). Is that processor too weak? Also, is connecting to france from west coast US going to cause latency in gameplay?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2016

256MB RAM, a few gigs of disk and 1 core 2GHz+ would be perfectly fine for two people in a vanilla or Spigot (no plugins) environment. With certain Minecraft software you can really push the most out of low memory. I'd recommend restarting it every 12 hours though.

Thanked by 1aFriend
  • @jarland your comment sounded sexist to me.. but since you are the admin, i'll assume that you didnt mean to imply anything negative about girls.

• eric1212eric1212 Member
    edited July 2016

@aFriend said:
    @jarland your comment sounded sexist to me.. but since you are the admin, i'll assume that you didnt mean to imply anything negative about girls.

His comment is perfect, only because you specifically stated the gender of the people who will be playing on the server :P

As for the server, Master_Bo is right. More disk space may be necessary if they have a huge world - and plugins which store a lot of data.

Thanked by 2jar ihatetonyy
  • @eric1212 said:

@aFriend said:
    @jarland your comment sounded sexist to me.. but since you are the admin, i'll assume that you didnt mean to imply anything negative about girls.

His comment is perfect, only because you specifically stated the gender of the people who will be playing on the server :P

got it. you got me.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Two boys will prefer to host their own, teach them how to install java and where to get minecraft from so they can keep it updated themselves.

Thanked by 2aFriend Maounique
  • @aFriend said:
    @master_bo @virMach - I might be able to free up the 2 euro dedi from online.net - the one with Via Nano U2250 processor (1.66ghz capable). Is that processor too weak? Also, is connecting to france from west coast US going to cause latency in gameplay?

I suppose the CPU is still capable of handling Minecraft - you might wish, though, to tune the server somewhat to diminish load (i.e., reduce chunk cache default size a bit).

As for connectivity - in my tests the mentioned connectivity, with Online.net servers was fast enough, but let other answer, too.

Thanked by 1aFriend
  • I tried running it on a kidechire in the past, wasn't a pleasant experience even with just myself. It ran, and you could load in, but once I started running around I found the CPU struggled.

I haven't tried them personally but with a great reputation on their other lines I'd recommend giving @Francisco MineRack a shot. https://minerack.org/

Thanked by 2aFriend Francisco
  • Get a dediserve 1G special, should be more than enough for everything you need. I've used them for CSGO hosting, had no problems.

Thanked by 1aFriend
  • ceapaceapa Member

Perhaps, if you would share the same room, the tiniest Minecraft server could have the dimension of a box of matches, using an ESP8266 Module.
    Take a look here:
    I know that it may not be the answer you want but why not :)

Thanked by 1aFriend
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

Seriously if it is just 2 ppl playing get a gameserver from a reputable host like Gebyte/G-Portal and dont worry about anything else. With Gebyte you pay 2,60€/30 days for 6 slots. More than enough

Thanked by 1aFriend
  • MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited July 2016

@aFriend said:

That's probably because you are an over-sensitive millennial. Unfortunately, there is no known cure yet.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • The kids are friends in different cities and they like to play together.
    @ympker I am not a gamer so I dont know how slots work etc. My biggest concern is that kids are young and I dont want them to be playing with unknown folks. So it is going to be just two of them. how does public servers work from a privacy/security aspect? Quick googling showed that 1 slot per player. Is 6 the minimum slots or can I just get 2 if I decide to go that way? Or does getting more slots give more resources to 2 players?

• @microlinux I am sure I am not perfect :)

• dailydaily Member

Minecraft has the option to implement a whitelist so only certain accounts can log in. Check the wiki for more information.

Thanked by 1aFriend
  • webcraftwebcraft Member
    edited July 2016

@aFriend said:
    The kids are friends in different cities and they like to play together.
    @ympker I am not a gamer so I dont know how slots work etc. My biggest concern is that kids are young and I dont want them to be playing with unknown folks. So it is going to be just two of them. how does public servers work from a privacy/security aspect? Quick googling showed that 1 slot per player. Is 6 the minimum slots or can I just get 2 if I decide to go that way? Or does getting more slots give more resources to 2 players?

If you want just this two kids to play use a whitelist. Inbuild minecraft feature:
    /whitelist on
    /whitelist add <playername>

Then you can set the playerlimit in config to "2". The host should just check if it's higher than purchased limit so in this case <6.

Latency should bother as both got the same so no advantage for any.

Thanked by 1aFriend
  • NixtrenNixtren Member
    edited July 2016

@aFriend said:
    The kids are friends in different cities and they like to play together.
    ympker I am not a gamer so I dont know how slots work etc. My biggest concern is that kids are young and I dont want them to be playing with unknown folks. So it is going to be just two of them. how does public servers work from a privacy/security aspect? Quick googling showed that 1 slot per player. Is 6 the minimum slots or can I just get 2 if I decide to go that way? Or does getting more slots give more resources to 2 players?

Slots are the maximum amount of people that can join a server. So 2 slots means 2 people can be online at the same time. If you get a VPS/dedicated server you can choose the amount of slots by yourself, you're only limited to the amount of RAM you have. If you buy a "gameserver" instead, you will most likely be paying a price per slot instead of paying per RAM, so if the minimum is 6 you will get 6 slots, but only your kids will be able to join anyway (if it's password-protected, obviously).

Public servers are public, if you're worried about them talking to strangers it would be better to just get a private server ;)

Thanked by 1aFriend