Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

noob question re: SCP
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

noob question re: SCP

feartrichfeartrich Member
edited August 2011 in Help

I have Debian 6 as my template, and installed lowendscript. I try to access my new BuyVM VPS files with WinSCP. I type my SSH login info, and I get this error:

Unexpected directory listing line 'root@cat1:/# total 88'.
'/#' is not a valid integer value

cat1 is the hostname.

Any help is appreciated. My perception was that all I needed for SCP was SSH capability, but for some reason I can get through...

I don't want to set up FTP if I don't have to....

Comments

• VadVad Member

You don't need to set up ftp, use some other ftp client. Try Filezilla.

• I'm using Windows. I've reinstalled the OS and everything, but every time...

I can't connect using SCP or SFTP. I assumed openssh would support SFTP with my SSH credentials. Neither FileZilla nor WinSCP works.

• I gave up and installed FTP. I don't expect the site I set up to be very big, so I'll settle for it.

• Waaaaa winscp sucks xD

Filezilla FTW!

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited August 2011

@yomero, don't say Filezilla. I'm still trying to get it to run on my eee pc. Like day 5. :(

• Hmmm, I guess Linux? What issues you have?

• Check in /etc/ssh/sshd_config to make sure that the subsystem sftp line is there and not commented out.

Thanked by 1feartrich
  • it's not commented out. i am quite stuck with this...it would be great to save the 20 mb of ram that vsftpd is taking up....

• fanovpnfanovpn Member
    edited August 2011

I switched to Filezilla after WinSCP started shipping spyware in the installer, and chose not to return after they claimed to have removed it, but I think I remember WinSCP also supports SFTP, via a global setting, or a drop-down when specifying the host, or by giving the host as an sftp://user@host style URL or something. However you set it, I'd recommend using SFTP instead of the SCP protocol you're currently using. You say the sftp subsystem is already enabled in sshd_config, so you should be good to go, and just switching the protocol over to SFTP should be enough to make your problem go away.

If you must use SCP for some reason, I suppose the problem is with your shell settings, maybe related to your prompt, or an alias, etc. The WinSCP manual goes over the environment requirements for using SCP, and also has troubleshooting tips specifically for "Unexpected directory listing line" errors with environmental settings to check, and how to force them to defaults for WinSCP sessions. Your problem doesn't look like it's even getting as far as trying to parse the directory list format they show there, but rather hitting a parse error on the very first line of /bin/ls output, which should be in the form 'total XXXXX'. So it's probably environmental, not related to a non-standard (non-Linux) 'ls' output format.

It sort of looks like what it's getting thrown by is a shell prompt embedded in the top of the ls output. Maybe you're using one of those fancy multi-line prompts, or some weird ANSI codes, and it's getting into what winscp expects to be /bin/ls output only? If you do have any sort of custom shell prompt (PS1, PS2, etc.), I'd try commenting out where you set it, and see if that fixes it. If it does, you're probably accidentally setting the custom prompt for both interactive and non-interactive sessions (.bash_profile) instead of only for interactive sessions (.bashrc, usually something checks for an interactive session before sourcing .bashrc).

@yomero: If it had any trust for it still, I'd prefer WinSCP's UI over FileZilla for the simple reason that WinSCP doesn't assume everything's an FTP site. I hate having to type my server name as 'sftp://host' in the quick connect bar in order to tell FileZilla to use SFTP. It's 2011, is there anyone left who still uses non-anonymous FTP? Why in the world would you make it the default instead of SFTP, or why not at least provide a drop-down for doing the protocol and let me set the default on my copy to SFTP!

Thanked by 1feartrich
  • SFTP doesn't work for me on either FileZilla or WinSCP. I'll look into those environmental settings to see what I can do...