Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recommendation on a VMware provider?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Recommendation on a VMware provider?

unusedunused Member
edited March 2013 in Providers

Searched LET, Corgitech has no current offers - tried Networx labs and they sucked. (No ability to reinstall o/s once deployed, support 2-3 days in responding)

Basically need VMware 512-1gb of ram, any 5-10gb of disk, 10-30gb of transfer. This is for a small amount of qa testing.

Most important: being able to reinstall o/s image from control panel (and preferably no "install from ISO" setup..) -- just deploy image and be up and running in a few minutes.

Non LEB price say up to $20/mo for this is OK.

US east coast preferred but anywhere is fine.

Comments

• Hey Unused.

Out of interest, Is there a specific reason for wanting VMWare?

• @GetKVM_Ash - yes, this is for qa of an application that has hypervisor specific features. LET has got openvz/kvm/xen covered but vmware seems missing (even @ non let prices)

• corgitech

• UK: www.exascale.co.uk
    You can open ticket to have VMWare virtualization.

• StarryStarry Member, Host Rep

it seems that most vmware cannot be reinstalled with control panel.

• EvixoEvixo Member

Is there any reason you can't or don't want to create a VM on your local machine to test the application? Then you can reinstall as much as you like and even make use of the snapshots :-)

• earlearl Member
    edited March 2013

@unused said: Most important: being able to reinstall o/s image from control panel (and preferably no "install from ISO" setup..) -- just deploy image and be up and running in a few minutes.

If I recall Corgitech does not allow you to have access to the datashare where they store the images.. you would have to reinstall from ISO loaded from your local machine (slow) or do a net-install.

I suppose you could always put in a ticket for them to load an image but that would be cumbersome..

• @Evixo said: Is there any reason you can't or don't want to create a VM on your local machine to test the application? Then you can reinstall as much as you like and even make use of the snapshots :-)

Unfortunately, yes. I need the vm to be online/accessible :-(

@earl said: If I recall Corgitech does not allow you to have access to the datashare where they store the images.. you would have to reinstall from ISO loaded from your local machine (slow) or do a net-install.

This appears to be a surprising limitation of any VMware offering, at least sub-$100/mo where you don't have access to VMware directly.

• That's because the lack of a decent customer control panel exists. There are a few products that integrate WHMCS and ESXi, but they don't work very well, if even at all. I would love something that would at least give my clients a console on the web interface or at least let them restore a snapshot, deploy from template, etc. without our intervention.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited March 2013

VMWare is not targeted for the service providers. It is targeted for the enterprises. That's why you don't see many hosts offering VMWare based services.

Also there is the crazy licensing costs, which might be OK for some large bank or other enterprise, but for a service provider who has to compete on the open market - it's almost a killer.

• @revnja said: ESXi

The esxpanel is wonderful for me

• iLand.com offers a 30-day free trial of their VMware cloud (search for vmware cloud on google and click on their ad to get the trial)

Stratogen.net has a 7-day trial

Vservercenter.com also offers vmware but their lowest plan is $40

• @rds100 OVH using VMWare ESX for their public cloud and bigger vpses, but all bigger provider who using ESX deploy their own interface.

• Just buy a low end dedicated sever and setup VMWare by yourself, then you can do anything you want to your VM ;)

• earlearl Member

@VictorZhang said: Just buy a low end dedicated sever and setup VMWare by yourself

I think this is your best bet.. if you raise your budget to $39.99 p/m you can get the E5420 deal from wholesale internet..

• herbyscrubherbyscrub Member
    edited March 2013

@unused said: Basically need VMware 512-1gb of ram, any 5-10gb of disk, 10-30gb of transfer.

I can probably help you out temporarily since I've got access to OVH's beta dedicated cloud. It's a three host cluster with 40 physical processors, 80GB ram, 1.2TB datastore and /28.

No charge, PM me if you're interested.

• earlearl Member

@herbyscrub said: It's a three host cluster with 40 physical processors, 80GB ram, 1.2TB datastore and /28.

lol!!

• fanfan Veteran

The free box from dreamservers.uk.com is my only vmware vps right now and it works amazingly well, rock-solid performance and uptime. You can try PM @DreamServers for a quote.

• @yomero said: The esxpanel is wonderful for me

The vSphere Web Client, or are you using something different? The official Web Client is good, it would just be scary to give some clients direct access to it.

• Yes, I use that at Corgitech

By default they didn't gave me credentials, but I asked and now I am using it without problems.

• earlearl Member
    edited March 2013

@revnja said: The vSphere Web Client, or are you using something different?

There is also the Thinapped vSphere Client

"This fling uses VMware ThinApp to package vSphere Client into a single portable EXE giving you instant access to your virtual infrastructure from any computer."

unfortunately does not work for 5.1 yet but 4.1 and 5.0 versions is available..