Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low upload bandwidth in SYS (OVH) server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Low upload bandwidth in SYS (OVH) server

AbajoAbajo Member

Hello guys.
It's the first time I buy an OVH SYS server.
I tested my bandwidth speed and I get:
500 Mbps Download
70 Mbps Upload

Can someone please help me? Why I get 500 Mbps download if I should have 250 Mbps? And why I get 70 Mbps upload if I should have 250 Mbps?

I bought this server because I need a lot of upload speed... I don't really need download speed.
I hoped to have at least 200 Mbps in upload.
Is this normal?

Comments

• RodneyRodney Member

How about you try to contact the support?

LET can't really help you there I think.

As for the download: I guess the servers are on 1 Gbps connections with 250 Mbps guranteed and no hard limits in place.

• msg7086msg7086 Member
    edited July 2016

Welcome to LowEndSoYouHelpDesk.

If you were using speedtest, try a different server.

250mbps on 1gbps port means you can burst to 1gbps for a short period of time, and as long as you don't abuse that bandwidth you are good, eg, use only 50TB traffic per month.

Thanked by 1Laxenade
  • @Abajo said:
    Hello guys.
    It's the first time I buy an OVH SYS server.
    I tested my bandwidth speed and I get:
    500 Mbps Download
    70 Mbps Upload

Can someone please help me? Why I get 500 Mbps download if I should have 250 Mbps? And why I get 70 Mbps upload if I should have 250 Mbps?

I bought this server because I need a lot of upload speed... I don't really need download speed.
    I hoped to have at least 200 Mbps in upload.
    Is this normal?

So it's not just me.

I'm having intermitent problems with my servers, 3 days out of the last 14 I had about 2-4 hours each night (GMT time) upload speed of about 5-10 mbps. Contacted support they wanted iperf and mtr, did all that, now support wants me to do some rescue system operations to find out whether the network card is dying or not. Pretty boring stuff :/

• Baracco77Baracco77 Member
    edited July 2016

OMFG!! For years now I have had to clarify this over and over again. It does NOT matter what datacenter your SYS is in or which model it is!! They are ALL 1Gbps DOWN & 250Mbps UP no matter where the traffic is coming from!! They have been this way since they were first released years ago. From my first one to my last one, FR to CA, they have all been exactly the same with regards to download & upload speed. The speed you actually get depends on countless factors........install Debian 8.5 x64 minimal with Nginx, rtorrent and rutorrent, etc. Set all the settings to unlimited, memory usage just under what your server has, and load up 1-3 public torrents with the most leechers. Just sort torrents on KAT, TPB, or RARBG by highest number of leechers and load 1-3 of them. Hopefully they each have 1000+ leechers. (word to the wise: load the 3 xxx torrents on RARBG with the highest # of leechers, but that consist of just one video file each, and a resolution of 540p or less). See if you're able to get 250Mbps upload now. If yes, then there's your proof that your server is capable of it. And Once Again, you could be seeding a torrent to 100 other OVH/SYS/KIMI peers and your total upload speed will always be capped to 250Mbps. The 1Gbps download is NOT a dedicated Gbit port so of course for download, don't expect 1Gbps down 24/7......without any overhead, 99% of you either forget or have no idea that 1Gbps 24/7 for 1 month is equal 333TB Down && 333TB Up.............yyyeeeaaahhhh, and people pay crazy prices for 10Gbit servers that come with 250TB/month of TOTAL TRAFFIC.

• Baracco77 said: and people pay crazy prices for 10Gbit servers that come with 250TB/month of TOTAL TRAFFIC.

those people do exceptionally better seeding than your OVH special, though

• That special was for testing lol. I pushed maybe20ish GBs through it in the 3-4 weeks that I've had it! Where in my reply did I brag about some special server? I've had servers with unmetered 10GE ports on premium networks lol. I would NEVER use any OVH server for my primary seedbox. Anyone who can do nothing can see their network is grossly oversold and show me where anyone else on LET has noted the STARK and VAST differences in the THREE OVH bandwidth add on packs. Everyone also talks about the "Premium" 1Gbps add-on but they have zero clue that the "Platinum" and "Ultimate" 1, 2, and 3Gbps bandwidth packs are infinitely better, they don't just cost more. I always ROTFL when people hear "Premium" and have a man-gasm. If they only knew "Premium" from OVH only includes 1 tier 1 transit (Cogent which is shit). Do me a favor and consider that I just might have more book smarts and real world knowledge than you. I'm sick of people assuming things just from reading a provider's website. I call people out on it all the time. There's a reason why I've been on the absolute most coveted private trackers for up to 10 years now......depending on the site. Before you assume I'm a n00b or crazy about some OVH special, why not let me speak for myself, or ask, NOT assume.

• edanedan Member

My SYS KVM VPS.

• Yup, cached......speedtest's aren't always accurate. Or either you're on an OVH series server. I can count on one hand the # of users that have proven to me over the years that they had gotten uncapped SYS servers by mistake. To my knowledge, each of those individuals either sold them or they ended up getting "discovered" and SYS capped them.

• tommytommy Member

Ask for refund, because their upload not as fast as advertised. You really need dedicated b/w

• hawkjohn7hawkjohn7 Member
    edited July 2016

Standart OVH network test

iperf -c proof.ovh.ca -i1

iperf -c proof.ovh.ca -i1 -t10 -m

iperf -c proof.ovh.ca -r -i1 -t10 -m -P 10 | grep SUM

if your bandwidth over guaranted, please don't complain.

Regards,

OVH team

• tommytommy Member

if you test on their own network it'll really fast ;)

• AbajoAbajo Member

Thank you for your messages.
    To be honest, for my project I need constant 100 Mbps.
    I bought a 250 Mbps just for not be cheap and avoid possible problems...
    Also, I don't need torrent and I don't want and I don't need to use illegal software.

@tommy: Is ovh bandwidth really so bad?

• The only 3 Scenarios that dedicated bandwidth really can exist

1) It's a point2point direct Circuit, Therefore there is 0 contention

2) It's 2 points on a service providers network and they sign a contract which requires them to ensure they have capacity to provide the bandwidth they've committed to e.g business leased line.

3) The traffic crosses multiple providers networks but they are directly connected via private interconnects and have ALL contractually committed to making that bandwidth available to you

As soon as it gets out onto the open internet all bets are off, it will depend on the capacity of each and any networks it transverses in-between.