Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

4TB-8TB of cheap storage for media I don't care about
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

4TB-8TB of cheap storage for media I don't care about

lmnotranlmnotran Member
edited July 2016 in General

Howdy all,

I'm looking for a cheap way to store media that I wouldn't be upset with losing. My only requirements are that the capacity is at least 4TB and that it is on a 1Gbps port.

Does anyone know of a service, VPS provider, or dedi provider that could do this for less than $40/m?

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

lmnotran said: I'm looking for a cheap way to store media that I don't care about.

I use rm(1) for this purpose. If there is media I own that I don't care about, I use the rm(1) utility which stores it in an appropriate place for me. Very space-efficient, and best of all, free.

• raindog308 said: I use rm(1) for this purpose. If there is media I own that I don't care about, I use the rm(1) utility which stores it in an appropriate place for me. Very space-efficient, and best of all, free.

omg you troll lol

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • Amazon cloud drive would likely be the cheapest

• boerndboernd Member

soyoustart

• DormeoDormeo Member
    edited July 2016

Backblaze b2?
    Or hetzner dedicated server focused for storage

• blackblack Member

https://billing.dacentec.com/hostbill/index.php?/cart/dedicated-servers/ maybe? I see 2x2 TB for $35. If you want 8 TB, $40 is a little low.

• tommytommy Member

ask mnx.io, Liteserver, time4vps, I'm sure they're under your budget atleast for 4 TB

Thanked by 1time4vps
  • Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@lmnotran pmed you.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2016

black said: If you want 8 TB, $40 is a little low.

40 EUR for 8TB: https://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-st8
    Probably the best option around. The setup fee sucks, though.

Thanked by 1jar
  • myhkenmyhken Member
    edited July 2016

Hetzner Auction - €26 for a i7 2600/i7 3770 with 6TB storage and 1GBps port. Used them for 18 months now, no issues at all.

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited July 2016

if you only need space and not a full vps: https://www.hetzner.de/ot/hosting/storagebox/bx50

edit: if you really only want to do cold storage and not access those files except an rare incident, you probably could go for even an cheaper storage box with hetzner, as those come with snapshot features...

so lets say you take bx40 which has 2 TB of space but 8 snapshots, you could easily put 2 TB up to it, make a snapshot, put another 2 TB up, make a snapshot ... and so on. 8 snapshots at 2 TB might result in 16 TB storable data, which may be retrieved if needed the other way round by restoring on of those snapshots.

work involved but quite cheap I'd say ^^

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

ALinuxNinja said: Amazon cloud drive would likely be the cheapest

I thought for a moment about Glacier...but...8192 GB * .007/GB/mo = $57/mo, plus hellacious network costs if you ever want to get it back. Ugh.

• lmnotranlmnotran Member
    edited July 2016

@myhken said:
    Hetzner Auction - €26 for a i7 2600/i7 3770 with 6TB storage and 1GBps port. Used them for 18 months now, no issues at all.

@myhken: Interesting. Are you located in the US? If so, what is the average latency to your server(s)?

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@Falzo said:
    if you only need space and not a full vps: https://www.hetzner.de/ot/hosting/storagebox/bx50

edit: if you really only want to do cold storage and not access those files except an rare incident, you probably could go for even an cheaper storage box with hetzner, as those come with snapshot features...

so lets say you take bx40 which has 2 TB of space but 8 snapshots, you could easily put 2 TB up to it, make a snapshot, put another 2 TB up, make a snapshot ... and so on. 8 snapshots at 2 TB might result in 16 TB storable data, which may be retrieved if needed the other way round by restoring on of those snapshots.

Very interesting :D

Although :P Why would you keep 4 TB of media if you don't care about it, really? I mean you could use an external hard drive with no monthly fees and be done with it :P

• FalzoFalzo Member

@Ympker said:
    Very interesting :D

haha, psssst ;-)

Although :P Why would you keep 4 TB of media if you don't care about it, really? I mean you could use an external hard drive with no monthly fees and be done with it :P

probably depends on how those files are to be used in case ever needed. if those are rather large files of multiple GB which had to be uploaded in case of emergency from a thin home line a cheap online solution maybe preferrable. otherwise I'd totally agree on using a plain external drive at home...

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • /dev/null

Thanked by 1TheOnlyDK
  • 4TB external drive is $120 setup fee and no monthly cost. If you don't care losing that copy, I'd say that's way enough.

Thanked by 2Ympker rds100
  • myhkenmyhken Member

@lmnotran said:
    @myhken: Interesting. Are you located in the US? If so, what is the average latency to your server(s)?

I'm located in Norway, so cant help you there.

• AmitzAmitz Member

Hetzner's connection to the USA is not the best. I would not want to move TBs of data with them.

• D3vilD3vil Member

they allow this?

@Falzo said:

• DormeoDormeo Member

LOL

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@rm_ said:

black said: If you want 8 TB, $40 is a little low.

40 EUR for 8TB: https://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-st8
    Probably the best option around. The setup fee sucks, though.

Shit. That's actually a really good deal.

Thanked by 2GCat netomx
  • DormeoDormeo Member
    edited July 2016

Yes, with good CPU and ram, and with unlimited bandwidth :)
    (euro! = usd)

• FalzoFalzo Member

@D3vil said:
    they allow this?

I think there is nothing against any terms or conditions included by the offer or contract.

probably it is not an intended way of use but I don't see why it should make any difference. they sell an amount space including multiple snapshots of that space, so for sure you should be able to make use of it as you like.

even if they calculated including differential and/or deduplicating techniques and most people only making use of a small percentage of that box, they probably won't care about some big and completely different snapshots. and this is not a thing the customer has to worry about after all I'd say ;-)

• SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep

8TB of useless stuff?? That's quite a bit of junk

Thanked by 2GCat Dormeo
  • @SSDBlaze said:
    8TB of useless stuff?? That's quite a bit of junk

It definitely is :/

• To everyone suggesting an external drive, local storage isn't the issue. I already have a copy all the data locally. The issue is that my network upload speeds are atrocious and the files need to be remotely accessible.

• DormeoDormeo Member

That is an important thing.
    What kind of files?

• myhkenmyhken Member

P0RN VOL1-50