Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How would you invest $30k ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How would you invest $30k ?

Hello everyone,

What and how would you start a host with $30k and medium network and extreme server knowledge?

Assuming that is all you got for the first year.

Looking forward to your replies!

Cheers

Comments

• cassacassa Member
    edited July 2016

I would give a LowEndParty

• Buy 2000 Kimsufi servers /closethread

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Сonvert everything into Ukrainian Hryvnya, open a deposit and collect 20% interest yearly. Easy money!

• fLoofLoo Member

Take the money and invest it in something useful - or - get a person who understands the job but then you wont have money for anyhing else and after 6 months the person is gone because u dont have cash anymore :)

• If you go into the LE market with the aim to make money it won't be a fun experience. If you really are set on doing this, only invest what you can afford to lose and pay for things yearly.

Thanked by 1elgs
  • @cassa said:
    I would give a LowEndParty

Generous guy you cassa.

@WebGuru said:
    Buy 2000 Kimsufi servers /closethread

Interesting!

@rm_ said:
    Сonvert everything into Ukrainian Hryvnya, open a deposit and collect 20% interest yearly. Easy money!

Not worth it.

@fLoo said:
    Take the money and invest it in something useful - or - get a person who understands the job but then you wont have money for anyhing else and after 6 months the person is gone because u dont have cash anymore :)

Lol

• Oh, and rent a /22 from your RIR so you don't have to worry about IP costs in the short term.

• hostrerumhostrerum Member
    edited July 2016

@linuxthefish said:
    If you go into the LE market with the aim to make money it won't be a fun experience. If you really are set on doing this, only invest what you can afford to lose and pay for things yearly.

I think i will only learn if i face those situations? I already have the following things:

/22 RIPE
    5x Servers (3xE3v3's , 1x E5v3 , 1x Dual E5v3) (Supermicro Brand New)
    /22 APNIC

I already have a plan for everything but I'm still looking for experienced members to share their thoughts/experience.

Thank you for the advice.

• @linuxthefish said:
    Oh, and rent a /22 from your RIR so you don't have to worry about IP costs in the short term.

Please check my previous reply for the things which i currently have.
    Thanks

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited July 2016

fraghostsolutions said: I think i will only learn if i face those situations? I already have the following things:

/22 RIPE 5x Servers (3xE3v3's , 1x E5v3 , 1x Dual E5v3) (Supermicro Brand New) /22 APNIC

I already have a plan for everything but I'm still looking for experienced members to share their thoughts/experience.

Sounds good. Why not look at getting your own network up with BGP?

Not many providers in Asia, have you considered doing offers from there since you have APNIC IP's?

• @linuxthefish said:

fraghostsolutions said: I think i will only learn if i face those situations? I already have the following things:

/22 RIPE 5x Servers (3xE3v3's , 1x E5v3 , 1x Dual E5v3) (Supermicro Brand New) /22 APNIC

I'm already working on it.
    Do you mind talking over skype if you can assist me with few issues?

Would be great.

And again, Thanks a lot.

• admsamadmsam Member

Since you have already prepare your plan and ready, just go ahead.

• Women and Drinks. What else ?

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

@fraghostsolutions said:
    Hello everyone,

What and how would you start a host with $30k and medium network and extreme server knowledge?

Assuming that is all you got for the first year.

Looking forward to your replies!

Cheers

Models and bottles.

Live it up for a week because life is a bitch and reality will eventually hit you hard enough to knock you out for good.

• tommytommy Member

online webcam girl, since you can pay $300/girl/month here :P

LOL

• Hahahaha, serious talent here at LET.

Some thoughts from experienced guys will help a lot.
    Looking forward,

Cheers

• @linuxthefish said:

Not many providers in Asia, have you considered doing offers from there since you have APNIC IP's?

I am talking to several people in SG and AU.
    Lets hope it works out.

Thank you again!

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I can't think of anything to spend $30k on, even if I was starting a company from scratch at least $20k would just sit in the bank.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • @KuJoe said:
    I can't think of anything to spend $30k on, even if I was starting a company from scratch at least $20k would just sit in the bank.

What about the hardware?
    Its always better to get it upfront?

Also, would people from LET suggest buying brand new Hardware or getting used from ebay with new drives?

Thanks

@fraghostsolutions said:
    What about the hardware?

Also, would people from LET suggest buying brand new Hardware or getting used from ebay with new drives?

Thanks

Yes, I always buy hardware and never lease/rent. Used with new drives is the best bang for the buck unless you need raw performance or specific technology.

• blackblack Member

Put a grand or 2 into bitcoins :)

• @KuJoe said:

@fraghostsolutions said:
    What about the hardware?

Thanks

Yes, I always buy hardware and never lease/rent. Used with new drives is the best bang for the buck unless you need raw performance or specific technology.

Any specific vendor you buy your used hardware from?
    Cheers

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

ebay+new drives :) #lowendadvise

• @hostdare said:
    ebay+new drives :) #lowendadvise

Thank you :)

@fraghostsolutions said:
    Any specific vendor you buy your used hardware from?
    Cheers

Not that I'm willing to divulge. Sorry.

• @fraghostsolutions said:
    would you start a host with $30k

No. It's an overcrowded market already. Unless you bring something new to the table, put your money into something with less competition.

• Well, at least he isn't trying to start a web hosting company with a $5 reseller :p

Thanked by 1Dormeo
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

fraghostsolutions said: What and how would you start a host with $30k and medium network and extreme server knowledge?

I would use it to bribe LET moderators to give you a special Ultimate Provider tag.

Thanked by 1PrincessOfCats
  • nepsneps Member

FlamesRunner said: Well, at least he isn't trying to start a web hosting company with a $5 reseller :p

Hey, at least $5 isn't $2!

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Personally I would mirror Kujoe or a version of anyway.

30k is not enough to launch the next big thing, but you could use 10K to own pretty decent hardware and have your first 12 months colo paid in advance.

You could offer KVM and OpenVZ servers & cPanel hosting.

Build a solid base, don't commit to much financially in the first 24 -36 months, get your costs covered and move in to profit first otherwise you just put to much pressure on yourself.

For the other 20k, if its going to burn a hole in your pocket then use it on a USP such as finding out what is missing in the market in terms of features and hire a good local developer part time to give you the edge.

My 2c, (which is my fee :)

Thanked by 2hostdare hostrerum