Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Yearly 512MB UK KVM ~25$/y?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Yearly 512MB UK KVM ~25$/y?

dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

I am searching for a LowEnd VPS in the UK with the following specs:

• KVM (no OVZ due to custom linux kernel)
  • 1 vCPU (which will be idling most of the time)
  • 512 MB RAM (maybe with the option to upgrade to 1GB in the future)
  • 10-20 GB HDD (SSD-cache would be nice, no pure-SSD required)
  • 0,5-1 TB Traffic (<250GB required, just to be safe)
  • IPv4 and IPv6 connectivity
  • UK, preferable London area

Of course the cheapest solution would be ArubaCloud's 1EUR/month deal with even 1GB RAM, but their IPs seem to be geo-located in Romania in some databases, and they still lack IPv6.
I doubt anybody else will be able to match that price, but maybe a yearly 512MB KVM at 2$/month could be realistic?
I regularly follow LET but still haven't found the perfect deal for me. Are there any offers out there? :)
Or is this LET price range simply to low for UK-based VMs?

Comments

• MuZoMuZo Member
    edited July 2016

I didn't read

• Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited July 2016

Why not give Arubacloud a try? For less than 1GBP/month they meet or exceed your requirements (FYI they now have /64 IPv6 at their UK-Slough location + my IPs there are detected as GB by iplocation.net etc)

Only downside so far, you can't set rDNS (yet?) for the IPv6 part.

Thanked by 1bersy
  • dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

@Shot2 said:
    Why not give Arubacloud a try? [...] Only downside so far, you can't set rDNS (yet?) for the IPv6 part.

I wasn't aware that they offer IPv6 meanwhile. I created a new SmartVPS in Slough (DC6) and indeed IPv6 is now working. Other ArubaCloud DCs like Frankfurt are still lacking IPv6.

I opened a support ticket regarding rDNS and they confirmed that IPv6 rDNS is currently not possible.

With a more recent version of MaxMind GeoDB their new IPv4 range is now also geo-located in UK. Those IPs seem to be used as dialup pools by some Romanian ISP before. That's why they are still blacklisted on SORBS. Hopefully it should be possible to get them delisted from there.

• Shot2Shot2 Member

Just a quick followup... looks like they've added IPv6 at their other Equinix-hosted locations, that is: DC4 (France) and DC5 (Germany). Haven't tested it tho.