Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

SoftEther - Very powerful, easy-to-use, multi-protocol VPN software - Page 3

SoftEther - Very powerful, easy-to-use, multi-protocol VPN software

Comments

• FreekFreek Member

If someone could shed some light on how to tunnel DNS requests I can finish my tutorial and submit it to LowEndBox...... I have everything covered so far I believe. The initial server setup (with SecureNAT or Local Bridge on Xen/OpenVZ), client setup (OpenVPN & SoftEther), how to upgrade SoftEther, just need to know how to tunnel DNS requests.....

Linux noob willing to learn.

• lumaluma Member

@Freek

Looking forward to your guide! How about writing the guide in the meantime and once they reply edit it for the DNS requests? :)

Thanks and good work!

• fanfan Member

@Freek

Looking forward to the tutorial too! I tried to setup a local bridge following your pastebin post earlier but it didn't worked out for me (connected but no DHCP address was assigned). So far only SecureNAT works for me at the cost of speed.

• fanfan Member

Attention! I've discovered it's quite possible that the Chinese firewall got the ability to detect & block softether VPN recently, the test servers I used were all immediately blocked and remained inaccessible from mainland China so far, but all are accessible from other locations according to just-ping.

@dnobori Many of the IP's on VPNGate were also blocked.

• proteusproteus Member

Any luck connecting over DNS/ICMP (not tunneling DNS)?

• i believe that you cant explicitly connect via any of the tunneling method it will also connect with whatever that suite best. ICMP so far, not seeing it yet, But DNS yes, I've seen it. It will shown as "VPN over DNS" when you view properties of connected server when using softether client

FinchVPN by Finch Innovation

• FreekFreek Member
    edited May 2013

@johnlth93 said: i believe that you cant explicitly connect via any of the tunneling method it will also connect with whatever that suite best.

Correct.

@johnlth93 said: But DNS yes, I've seen it. It will shown as "VPN over DNS" when you view properties of connected server when using softether client

You mean tunnel DNS requests as well? If so, this is different. AFAIK It just means VPN over port 53 in case all other ports are broken?

PS. My tutorial is ready any day now. Sorry for the delay. Busy with all kinds of stuff.

• proteusproteus Member

@Freek said: AFAIK It just means VPN over port 53 in case all other ports are broken?

Yes, and is it over TCP or UDP?

• @Freek - any chance you can release your how to with just what you have so far?

• @gavster said: Freek - any chance you can release your how to with just what you have so far?

Hi there. I'm sorry I didn't get back to you guys. I've been kinda busy. I will see if I can find my notes from back then and setup everything to see if it's still up to date. Please allow another week or so for me to do so. If I don't respond, PM me and nag me because I tend to forget things!

• spekkspekk Member
    edited August 2013

From what I saw, this software is closed source?

A no-no for VPN software, by my standards anyway.

• NyrNyr Member

@spekk they were planning on open sourcing it, if I remember correctly.

• dnwkdnwk Member

@Nyr said: University of Tsukuba published this project a few days ago.

In only a few minutes, you can have a very powerful VPN server installed and configured to connect from virtually any machine. PPTP, L2TP, and OpenVPN are all supported and the server it's very flexible for any configuration you may need.

Aditionally, you can do IPv6 over IPv4 and IPv4 over IPv6 with near-zero configuration. I think it's really awesome and more people should know about this.

http://www.softether.org/

Is there anyway to get it on Ubuntu? I only successfully get it on CentOS.

Designers: www.linkun.info

• @dnwk said: Is there anyway to get it on Ubuntu? I only successfully get it on CentOS.

I managed to deploy it on Debian, so it should work.

• dnwkdnwk Member

@darknyan said: I managed to deploy it on Debian, so it should work.

How did you do it?

Designers: www.linkun.info

• psycholyzernpsycholyzern Member
    edited August 2013

wow.. such a great software.. I installled it on centos. btw, how can I use dns tunnel on openvpn server?? I didnt see any option to enable or disable it

Sorry for my bad English

• @dnwk I have a post about debian-based installation. http://linc01n.github.io/blog/2013/03/19/softether-on-vps/

• @lincoln said: dnwk I have a post about debian-based installation. http://linc01n.github.io/blog/2013/03/19/softether-on-vps/

followed your tutorial.. work great on my centos :) btw, is there any way to connect over dns?

Sorry for my bad English

• @psycholyzern said: btw, is there any way to connect over dns?

seems nobody know.. or, maybe the function cant be used

Sorry for my bad English

• Has anyone had the problem with softether that you can log into the vpn (l2tp, server is using SecureNat DHCP) but not get out to the internet?

• it looks like there is no open source yet? Anyway, that VPN over ICMP, and VPN over DNS made me change my mind about this program, I will see how I can try it

• psycholyzernpsycholyzern Member
    edited August 2013

@spekk said: it looks like there is no open source yet? Anyway, that VPN over ICMP, and VPN over DNS made me change my mind about this program, I will see how I can try it

please inform me if you manage to get tcp over dns work

Sorry for my bad English

• i still can not manage on my VPS with local bridge configuration, secureNat is working but not with local bridge i can get the ips from vps but can not get internet and still unable to ping the gateway

tap0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr B2:8D:54:79:C8:E0
    inet6 addr: fe80::b08d:54ff:fe79:c8e0/64 Scope:Link UP BROADCAST RUNNING PROMISC MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1 RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:6452 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:500 RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Provider

Any open-source development on this? I'm not finding a repository...

Reprise Hosting (AS62838) Intel Xeon L5520, 1TB SATA, 4GB RAM, 10TB BW, $27/mo with DED10 promo! Cheap dedicated servers.
    VPSHostingDeal.com - Low-cost self-managed OpenVZ + Xen cheap VPS hosting. Plans starting at $12 PER YEAR! Cheap VPS.

• VPN over ICMP and DNS sure is an interesting concept if it works as well as regular VPN. Hope it's not something that can be exploited.

• @sman said: VPN over ICMP and DNS sure is an interesting concept if it works as well as regular VPN. Hope it's not something that can be exploited.

"VPN over DNS" doesn't seem to actually use DNS, instead it simply listens on UDP port 53.

• jarlandjarland Administrator

Finally got around to setting this up. I love it. For any fellow Mac users, the server admin app works flawlessly under Wine (I use Crossover's implementation).

• @lincoln said: I made a simple tutorial on how to deploy SoftEther on buyvm. http://linc01n.github.com/blog/2013/03/19/softether-on-vps/

Thank you, still valid :)

• each time i try to connect to the generated ovpn config file from my softether server manager on my android 2.3 using Openvpn settings application it connects but stops at tls handshake error.please help me out!

• belinikbelinik Member
    edited September 2013

i have not tried the openvpn option but connect android using l2tp and pptp is working flawlessly..... perhaps that route instead? Will try on openvpn later today

• the problem is i can only access the network thrugh udp port 500 so openvpn is my only option..please help me out

• i just tried it, using generated openvpn config file, and it worked at first shot. Perhaps take a look at the log to see what is wrong? make sure you use the remote connect file and have the credential properly setup.

• So, how do you setup SoftEther vpn server to accept PPTP connection? Also, is Cisco IPsec client connection possible?

• @weiyu99 said: So, how do you setup SoftEther vpn server to accept PPTP connection? Also, is Cisco IPsec client connection possible?

as I know there is no PPTP connection

It support IPsec

• @belinik said: i have not tried the openvpn option but connect android using l2tp and pptp is working flawlessly..... perhaps that route instead? Will try on openvpn later today

Hi, how do you setup your vpnserver to accept PPTP connection?

• andrewandrew Member
    edited September 2013

@weiyu99 said: Hi, how do you setup your vpnserver to accept PPTP connection?

As @Rami said SoftEther does not support PPTP. So IPsec could help

• @andrew said: @weiyu99 said: Hi, how do you setup your vpnserver to accept PPTP connection?

As @Rami said SoftEther does not support PPTP. So IPsec could help

this

• Necropost... Anyone have tried it with OpenWRT?

• I tried with Tomato, could get it going, but didn't give it that much effort.

• I did it, and restart every 10 seconds. If I use openVPN AS, it works

• I tried to connect to softerther from tomato and dd-wrt. vpn, l2tp doesn't work. restart. Been pulling my hair. I guess I will have to install openvpn AS. netomx, got a good guide on how to install?

• softether is not open source though. you are not sure what it is doing behind the scenes

• @dms1899 said: I tried to connect to softerther from tomato and dd-wrt. vpn, l2tp doesn't work. restart. Been pulling my hair. I guess I will have to install openvpn AS. netomx, got a good guide on how to install?

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/6106/openvpn-community-software-auto-installer-for-centos-5-6-debian-6-and-ubuntu-10-10/p1

I pulled my hairs for WEEKS.

• Thanks a lot and Merry Christmas. Is it possible to run softether and openvpn AS side-by-side?, if i make openvpn to listen on different ports?

• Yeah, why not?

• netomx. didn't realize until now that it's your blog i followed when i installed softether server. I used it on weloveservers vps i have, but after a while the tap_soft disappeared and now i can't get it back. so i hade to use the more cpu intense option

• @vampireJ said: softether is not open source though. you are not sure what it is doing behind the scenes

Softether will be under the GNU licence. Currently one can browse the old source code. Hopefully, the newest will be released within the year (pending english translation and copyright issues). (http://www.softether.org/5-download/src)

• @dms1899 said: netomx. didn't realize until now that it's your blog i followed when i installed softether server. I used it on weloveservers vps i have, but after a while the tap_soft disappeared and now i can't get it back. so i hade to use the more cpu intense option

it is not my blog friend :P. if tap_soft dissapeared, try disabling/enablind tun/tap from your VPS's CP again

• @Silvenga said: Softether will be under the GNU licence. Currently one can browse the old source code. Hopefully, the newest will be released within the year (pending english translation and copyright issues). (http://www.softether.org/5-download/src)

Softether is now open source! (GPLv2 license)

See: http://www.softether.org/9-about/News/800-open-source

• @netomx said: it is not my blog friend :P. if tap_soft dissapeared, try disabling/enablind tun/tap from your VPS's CP again

Do we have to have tun/tap/PPP enabled even for secure NAT setup ?