Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[KimsufiTalk] Speed limit between BHS and GRA/RBX
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[KimsufiTalk] Speed limit between BHS and GRA/RBX

I am experimenting the best method to mount remote file system between Kimsufi boxes in different DC. Network latency is around 80ms.

I have tested with SMB, NFS, SSHFS, tinc tunnel, GRE tunnel and iptref3.

The result, I can't seem to go over 20Mbps (2.2MB/s) for any remote file system. SSHFS still holding the best record, the limitation is not on the encryption since CPU load is very low during transfer.

Anyone else has similar issue between BHS and other OVH data centers?

Thanked by 1ManofServer

Comments

• Another KimsufiTalk reference? You guys screwed up everything :P

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited July 2016

GRA <=> BHS 81.7 Mbits/sec

GRA <=> RBX 93.9 Mbits/sec

BHS <=> RBX 88.7 Mbits/sec

Tested with iperf.

• @Neoon said:

Test right now with iperf.

I do get 95Mbit/s with iperf in previous test, but when comes with the real file operations, it gets way slower.

• @david_W said:
    I am experimenting the best method to mount remote file system between Kimsufi boxes in different DC. Network latency is around 80ms.

I have tested with SMB, NFS, SSHFS, tinc tunnel, GRE tunnel and iptref3.

The result, I can't seem to go over 20Mbps (2.2MB/s) for any remote file system. SSHFS still holding the best record, the limitation is not on the encryption since CPU load is very low during transfer.

Anyone else has similar issue between BHS and other OVH data centers?

PM me for a $10 credit in your Kimsufi account for posting a thread in KimsufiTalk.

Regards,

Octave

edited July 2016

BHS => GRA via SSHFS 4-8Mbits/sec

119MiB 0:00:38 [3.06MiB/s] [==================>] 100%

Sucks balls.

Thanked by 1david_W
  • @zafouhar said:
    PM me for a $10 credit in your Kimsufi account for posting a thread in KimsufiTalk.

Regards,

Octave

wow, thank you so much!

Shilling gets paid well here.. ;)

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Are they throttling encrypted traffic maybe? Try regular FTP and see if you get the same results.

• @Neoon said:
    BHS => GRA via SSHFS 4-8Mbits/sec

119MiB 0:00:38 [3.06MiB/s] [==================>] 100%

Sucks balls.

but... but.. the Mighty Kimsufi never make mistake like that, it must be my fault..

• @KuJoe said:
    Are they throttling encrypted traffic maybe? Try regular FTP and see if you get the same results.

I also tried cipher=arcfour with both sshfs and rsync but still the same result, again the CPU load is nothing during transferring. NFS/CIFS w/wo VPN tunnel still have the similar result.

FTP and webdav has no encryption so I assumed it will have similar than NFS, but it's not usable in real life.

@david_W said:
    I also tried cipher=arcfour with both sshfs and rsync but still the same result, again the CPU load is nothing during transferring. NFS/CIFS w/wo VPN tunnel still have the similar result.

Your server's CPU should have nothing to do with it if they are throttling the traffic on their network (some ISPs here in the US throttle encrypted traffic).

• @KuJoe said:

@david_W said:

Your server's CPU should have nothing to do with it if they are throttling the traffic on their network (some ISPs here in the US throttle encrypted traffic).

It could be true if OVH have some sort of throttling on inter-continental traffic, I have similar transfer speed over SSH to my other box in north america.

But it still not make sense why they also throttling encrypted tunnels on their internal traffic.

• RazzaRazza Member
    edited July 2016

I had similar speed issues last month between two soyoustart server's one in RBX and the other in BHS could never get the speed much high than 50Mbps from RBX to BHS.

Opened a ticket not a lot of help after i showed them the issue must be somewhere in the ovh network between the two data center by providing them upload and download test from the server's to a number of non ovh server which showed no speed issue they still refused there was a issue in their network

• @Razza said:

That remind me a long ticket with SYS, it was in BHS1 and on a very congested switch. They never admit there was a network issue. After a week of back and forward, I ended up with ordered another one and ask them to transfer my credit over.

@david_W said:
    It could be true if OVH have some sort of throttling on inter-continental traffic, I have similar transfer speed over SSH to my other box in north america.

But it still not make sense why they also throttling encrypted tunnels on their internal traffic.

If the throttling is done at the router then it's probably and "all or nothing" situation, they might be throttling all encrypted traffic regardless of source or destination.

• RazzaRazza Member

david_W said: it was in BHS1 and on a very congested switch. They never admit there was a network issue

Ovh is good on hardware wise and network is fine most time, but if your having a network issue you might as well just give up they never admit to any issues.

• They limit bandwidth some port, better change to another port if you can.

• @hawkjohn7 said:
    They limit bandwidth some port, better change to another port if you can.

Still no luck, tried 5 different ports, network throughput still the same.

BHS -> GRA 6MB/s
    GRA -> BHS 2.1MB/s

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2016

@Neoon said:

Tested with iperf.

This is assuming they don't do traffic management and don't throttle the protocol he is using for storage.

• AshleyUkAshleyUk Member
    edited July 2016

I would take a guess, as you only have a single port and no "vRACK", your internal data transfer is being treated the same as it would if it was to a 3rd party, as I am sure the TM and limiting for Kimsufi boxes is done locally to the server (Switch Port e.t.c)

Thanked by 1david_W

Well a http download over Port 80 from BHS to GRA nearly uses 100% of the 100Mbit Port.

• @Neoon said:
    Well a http download over Port 80 from BHS to GRA nearly uses 100% of the 100Mbit Port.

Would you mind to test BHS download from GRA as well?

• @AshleyUk said:
    I would take a guess, as you only have a single port and no "vRACK", your internal data transfer is being treated the same as it would if it was to a 3rd party, as I am sure the TM and limiting for Kimsufi boxes is done locally to the server (Switch Port e.t.c)

That make sense, so even it's via internal routing, but traffic was treated like out going external traffic. GRA is pretty slow to the North America.

• filefile Member

I vaguely recall running into something like this as well... and I think if I used a Tinc VPN link between the two systems the speed became what you would expect. It was peculiar.

edited July 2016

Well, even with not encrypted Port 80.

It seems not to matter if you pull from GRA or RBX, same results.

Peak 10MB/s, down to 500kb/s average like 1-2MB/s, at the Start it was between 2-8MB/s, after a while back to 7MB/s and down to 2MB/s again.

Seems like something shared.

• @david_W said:

is your ip same subnet like this 192.99.2.xxx ?

• @hawkjohn7 said:

@david_W said:

Kimsufi does not provide any internal IP, I was saying "internal" because all routing nodes are inside of OVH network.

• @david_W said:

@hawkjohn7 said:

@david_W said:

Kimsufi does not provide any internal IP, I was saying "internal" because all routing nodes are inside of OVH network.

192.99.2.x is not internal.

• @david_W said:

@hawkjohn7 said:

@david_W said:

Strange if they are throttling though?

Somehow they own an entire /16 on that IP range...
    http://bgp.he.net/AS16276

• AshleyUkAshleyUk Member
    edited July 2016

@eastonch said:

@david_W said:

@hawkjohn7 said:

@david_W said:

Whats strange / somehow about them owning a whole /16?

They "own" alot of IP's, one /16 don't go far with OVH.

• @AshleyUk said:

@eastonch said:

@david_W said:

@hawkjohn7 said:

@david_W said:

Whats strange / somehow about them owning a whole /16?

They "own" alot of IP's, one /16 don't go far with OVH.

The mighty Kimsufi owns everything IP on this planet.