Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVPN Web GUI Beta
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVPN Web GUI Beta

SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep
edited December 2011 in General

Hey Guys,
I just found this off sourceforge, I don't use VPN, but I guess it might be useful to VPN users or VPN service providers,

NOTE : I did not code this nor am I a part of the project.

More Info :
This is a Web interface to OpenVPN server. It shows VPN connections, openvpn/openssl configuration, and provides client certificate management. Project is being written on PHP 5 with-openssl and Smarty. Check the Screenshots for the first glance :)

Link !
http://sourceforge.net/projects/openvpn-web-gui/

Thanked by 1Damian

Comments

• So its a shitty version of openvpn as ?

• AldryicAldryic Member
    edited December 2011

@DanielM said: So its a shitty version of openvpn as ?

Do you not read before you post this drivel, or can you simply not stop it from pouring out of you each time you open your mouth?

@SpeedBus Thanks for the link, should be interesting to try :P

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • Thanks! This might be interesting to roll into an OVZ template.

Thanked by 1japon
  • SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

@Aldryic : Your welcome :D

@Damian4IPXcore : It's just a Web GUI which helps in the management of openVPN, I guess you'll have to also bundle in OpenVPN itself.

• @SpeedBus: It's just a Web GUI which helps in the management of openVPN, I guess you'll have to also bundle in OpenVPN itself.

Yeah that's what I meant, it would be for our less technically-inclined customers or our customers who know what openVPN does, but doesn't want to go through the somewhat unintuitive setup for it. Thanks!

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

@Damian4IPXcore : Ah, Okay.. Sounds good :D

• @Aldryic said: pouring out of you each time you open your mouth

i was typing therefor i didnt technically open my mouth. And as i said. It is just a crappy version of openvpn as. which is nothing more than a management panel. Granted it looks quite good but hasnt been updated for 6 yrs.

• I think that webmin has an addon to manage openvpn too.

• I still don't understand why people use webmin.

• @japon said: I still don't understand why people use webmin.

webmin is awesome, i use it to manage squid-cache.

• @DanielM said: webmin is awesome, i use it to manage squid-cache.

Is it still so ugly and the resource-hog it used to be when I had to use it in the end of the 90ies?

• @japon said: Is it still so ugly and the resource-hog it used to be when I had to use it in the end of the 90ies?

Carnt argue with that comment, but it makes life easier with some tasks

• japonjapon Member
    edited December 2011

@DanielM said: Carnt argue with that comment, but it makes life easier with some tasks

Webmin was the reason to grab a book on sed&awk for me and start liking man-pages. But maybe Webmin evolved from that. It was the time when I had to play with Suse Linux 5.2.

• @japon said: Is it still so ugly and the resource-hog it used to be when I had to use it in the end of the 90ies?

That was quite some time ago. Projects/products change a lot in that amount of time...

• @japon said: Webmin was the reason to grab a book on sed&awk for me and start liking man-pages. But maybe Webmin evolved from that. It was the time when I had to play with Suse Linux 5.2.

Same here, I like webmin because after a few days / weeks 'using' it in the 90s I understood that I had to learn the command line :)

I hope that it didn't evolve much :D

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited December 2011

@japon said: Is it still so ugly and the resource-hog it used to be when I had to use it in the end of the 90ies?

Ugly is in the eyes of the beholder, or perhaps the beer-holder... :)

Webmin itself uses very little memory, there's just a small server for login.

What you do in Webmin can use memory. It's essentially perl scripts that execute shell functions. So it'll use much the same memory as if you did things from the commandline, plus some overhead for perl.

I used to manage all my VPSs with Webmin+Virtualmin. Ran it successfully on as little as 128MB with Apache, PHP, MySQL, Postfix & Dovecot, doing web & mail hosting. Never had a problem with it, across multiple servers over several years.

It's a mistake I think to judge a book by its cover, or a control panel by its aesthetic appeal. Technically, Web and Virtualmin are very, very good. Plus they are actively developed and maintained.

I have used it for quite a while, but I believe that today Virtualmin is quite a bit sexier than it used to be. :)

• @japon, just because you can use cli for everything, doesn't exactly mean that it's necessary... I can perform 90% of the cli commands I need, but I appreciate a good GUI.

I still use webmin on a few of my boxes as well. The best part about it is when you don't need it, simply stop the service.... And then bam the ram is free :)
    A GUI is there to save time, and webmin does that very well.

But on most of my production boxes I use cherokee server now, as I appreciate their built-in admin gui.

• @Adam said: @japon, just because you can use cli for everything, doesn't exactly mean that it's necessary... I can perform 90% of the cli commands I need, but I appreciate a good GUI.

But...then you're not hardcore!

• It's always interesting to hear ideas about cli vs. gui :)

I have a silly theory that what works best for you depends on how you "visualize" your server. Try this simple test...

Close your eyes, and focus your attention. Imagine your webserver (or mailserver, etc.).

What do you see?

• this pretty much is a shit version of openvpn-as, just free.

Thanked by 1DanielM