Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

paypal dispute-chargeback protection
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

paypal dispute-chargeback protection

agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

hi

i am too annoyed with customers who issue paypal disputes if they are not willing to continue any more with the service, providing all false allegations.

say a customer moved on to vps from another provider and issues a dispute stating the service was not as promised.

100 out of 100 times, paypal has ruled in favour of the clients. (even after submitting complete details of the chat/ticket scripts)

any idea what steps shall be done to prevent this...

Comments

• InglarInglar Member

bitcoin

• Make sure you provide proof you delivered the service, paypal likes screenshots of control panel and billing activity as well as email delivery logs. Make sure you also provide all the details the customer signed up with, and state that you are 100% sure the client has accessed and used the service.

In my experiance paypal have got much better for hosting chargebacks, it's been ages since I lost one to a hosting customer.

• rds100rds100 Member

Perhaps you are advertising your services to the wrong group of people.

Thanked by 2agentmishra KuJoe
  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Fraudrecord them to see if they do it before accepting payment

• JonchunJonchun Member
    edited July 2016

@rds100 said:
    Perhaps you are advertising your services to the wrong group of people.

^^ great advice.

I stopped selling $5/mo shit, started vetting orders more carefully and completely rejecting even slightly fishy orders, and omgwtfbbq I haven't had a chargeback in a while. (Other than one or two from people who cancelled and forgot to cancel recurring payments. Just refunded immediately.. chargeback closed)

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • AmitzAmitz Member

@Jonchun said:
    I stopped selling $5/mo shit, started vetting orders more carefully and completely rejecting even slightly fishy orders, and omgwtfbbq I haven't had a chargeback in a while. (Other than one or two from people who cancelled and forgot to cancel recurring payments. Just refunded immediately.. chargeback closed)

Oh Dear! People still think that a chargeback is the appropriate action after themselves having forgotten to cancel their subscription rather than just opening a ticket?

Thanked by 2agentmishra KuJoe
  • @Amitz said:

@Jonchun said:

Oh Dear! People still think that a chargeback is the appropriate action after themselves having forgotten to cancel their subscription rather than just opening a ticket?

People still don't understand what a PayPal subscription is. They think its the same as us charging their card vs them having agreed to automatically send money... It really needs to be more clear.

Thanked by 2Amitz agentmishra
  • Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Jonchun said: People still don't understand what a PayPal subscription is. They think its the same as us charging their card vs them having agreed to automatically send money... It really needs to be more clear.

I have long ago switched to paypal billing agreements only. It gets rid of the problem mostly. In this case we actually are charging them like a credit card so when they submit a cancellation request in whmcs, we simply stop charging them. From what I have seen people will more often submit a cancellation request than cancel a paypal subscription.

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • aboyousefaboyousef Member
    edited July 2016

Actually I support what PayPal do.
    Yes there are many honest providers/companies but unfortunately there
    Are some that are not respectful enough and those include even some known
    Names in the market.

I speak from personal experience I've just gone through and PayPal was fair
    and helped me get my money back after a "known" company refused to refund
    Me even after they confessed that I did not receive the service I was promised
    Due to hardware limitations!

I am not saying that PayPal is always right but leaning towards the costumers
    is a good policy...

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

agentmishra said: 100 out of 100 times, paypal has ruled in favour of the clients.

Wow that is unusual, I think its maybe your screening process you need to improve not your payment gateway.

In 6 years of hosting now I would say PayPal rule in favor of the host 95% of the time and the other 5% are usually obviously a stolen account in the final analysis which is absolutely fair.

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • WHTWHT Member
    edited July 2016

Fraudrecords is a good tool for us chargebackers :)

I got a record from Johny Nuggets aka greenvaluehost in year 2014 I think (the only one I have) and from that time am getting rejected by ~50% of hosts.

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

PayPal has been great about disputes with me, never had a problem unless it was a credit card chargeback, I just close those immediately and claim responsibility since it's a huge waste of my time.

Use FraudRecord, require valid billing details, if the order looks suspicious do some research.

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

@WHT said:
    Fraudrecords is a good tool for us chargebackers :)

I got a record from Johny Nuggets aka greenvaluehost in year 2014 I think (the only one I have) and from that time am getting rejected by ~50% of hosts.

Fraudrecords great tool indeed :)

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • ktkt Member, Host Rep

What sort of 'allegations' are they making? Recently even on subscription disputes paypal refunds buyer at no cost to us.

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Got my PayPal account since 2007 and two weeks ago I received my first dispute (actually two as he did want his two payments back)! PayPal decided in my favor, as in, I kept the money and the buyer kept it too. PayPal lost it. Their phone support is superb, they're awesome.
    I had to explain to them that this Arabian guy opened a dispute for his two payments after refusing to install/configure/tweak his cPanel server due to the fact that he reinstalled it... Or a friend of his did so he wanted me to do it all again for free.

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • greenwebpagegreenwebpage Member, Patron Provider

To show that the client pay make screen picture and provied to paypal,show them olso email log tichets' and show proff that the client use your services.
    I dont have problem whit paypal they ar very right,in the dispute issue

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • Nah, I've won most disputes - it's when a customer performs a chargeback on their credit cards. When I ran a small web hosting service, and a client disputed it, I would send PayPal screenshots of their website working with their cPanel last login IP address. Most of the time it works :)

(Don't submit ticket details, etc, it proves nothing to PayPal as you could've made that up. Put up something that they can verify, like an IP address that links to the customer)

Thanked by 1agentmishra
  • rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

The secret to winning is ... gather all the evidence (emails of service delivery, control panel, billing, even ping the IP (to show it is up), as well as whatever you think would be useful) ... and then ring up paypal (dont bother with replying to the system).

I've only lost it once, and that is when I did it automatically via the system. However, after I have learnt that it is better to call them, I have never lost any.

• Jonchun said: People still don't understand what a PayPal subscription is. They think its the same as us charging their card vs them having agreed to automatically send money... It really needs to be more clear.

Yep, it's important to make it clear. We've had that discussion here before if I recall correctly. The problem is that the word "subscribe" has changed meaning in recent years. The word itself refers to a fixed price for a fixed time - hence sub-scribe, meaning a line is drawn. Recurring payments is a different concept all together and not everybody has caught up to the new usage yet. It certainly took me by surprise when I first encountered it. So yes, it's worth making it clear right up front.