Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Building a mobile app + chat + push notifications
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Building a mobile app + chat + push notifications

MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Hi folks,

Got a project in my mind which I've been discussing with my programmers, and sharing ideas.

What's your idea, as to software to be used for:

A mobile App that has real time chat, private messages and public channels, and push notifications?

Cheers

Comments

• AmitzAmitz Member

You mean IRC, right? ;-)

Thanked by 2MikePT GCat
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Amitz said:
    You mean IRC, right? ;-)

Nah, need to have statistics, etc... IRC is lightweight, but lacks a lot of features :-(.

This'll have facebook login/register, multiple channels, etc.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited July 2016

Right idea for the right time:

Location based for Pokemon Go teams to communicate about gym status, etc.

Move fast and you'll succeed.

@jarland said:

Heheheh jar, not related to Pokemon Go.

I own a big group in FB, which is related to festivals. I'm going to create more groups for other festivais and build an app where they can all communicate, all events published there will have their own chatroom, ability to add friends, etc.

So, I've worked in companies with chats and push notifications. It's a huge infrastructure, RabbitMQ, Elasticsearch, etc etc... All coded. I need to gather opinions about this.

• jarland said: Right idea for the right time:

I've already seen them popup in the Play store :)

• @jarland said:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/11/12153370/gochat-pokemon-go-chat-app-jonathan-zarra-interview

• GCatGCat Member

So you want to build Slack?

Thanked by 2MrObvious MikePT
  • WHTWHT Member

@MrGeneral its not worth to build something that already exists. There is facebook that covers the chat.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • filefile Member

Yeah, that market seems to be pretty saturated right now from commercial offerings (Slack, Hipchat) to open source solutions. You'd need a true differentiator to make it worthwhile in my opinion.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • Software? well you have programmers so get them to slap this together in node.js and any ios/android sdk and you are all set.

And.. your "programmers" should really know about how to create this, unless very inexperienced... no offense, but this is 2016 not 2006.

• @Makkesk8 said:
    Software? well you have programmers so get them to slap this together in node.js and any ios/android sdk and you are all set.

And.. your "programmers" should really know about how to create this, unless very inexperienced... no offense, but this is 2016 not 2006.

He considers himself "experienced", and then cries in public about not being paid when he couldn't complete a task. (He tried go bill the dude for the hours spent LOL) like what I could spend 50 hours trying to build a full blown application in prolog and I wouldn't get anywhere becausei don't know how to... Does that mean I get to charge for the time I spent trying?

He claims he has a company that focuses on ______, _______, ______, ________ etc... Yet he goes on and on asking basic questions on LET better suited for his " experienced team"

Tldr: you're talking to el cheapo

Thanked by 1qrwteyrutiyoup
  • JacobJacob Member

@Jonchun said:
    He considers himself "experienced", and then cries in public about not being paid when he couldn't complete a task. (He tried go bill the dude for the hours spent LOL) like what I could spend 50 hours trying to build a full blown application in prolog and I wouldn't get anywhere becausei don't know how to... Does that mean I get to charge for the time I spent trying?

>

Completely different scenarios, you know full well that a long project involves milestones so the same wouldn't happen, not to mention a down payment should be taken beforehand.

In Miguel's defence, @cociu's employee (engineer) had exhausted all his possible options meaning it was a gamble even involving a third party and expecting a successful result.

Thanked by 2GCat MikePT
  • BradNDBradND Member

we still enterain this guy? dayum

Thanked by 1GCat
  • emdademdad Member

You are looking for xmpp or more specifically smack for android,,, knock me if you need any help

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@emdad said:
    You are looking for xmpp or more specifically smack for android,,, knock me if you need any help

Dont want to let my Android get hooked on smack.

Thanked by 1MikePT

Thank you for the suggestions folks!

As for the bashing... I really don't have time for kids nor for people who have way too much time to spend...

This is BUSINESS.

@WHT said:
    @MrGeneral its not worth to build something that already exists. There is facebook that covers the chat.

Nah, not trying to copy facebook. It's not even a social network, :) it's something way different.

• ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

You can use pure web stack to achieve this. For example react native + redux + websocket

Thanked by 1MikePT

@ericls said:
    You can use pure web stack to achieve this. For example react native + redux + websocket

Thanks Eric! I'll check it out tomorrow! :)

• BradBrad Member

Telegram also exists.

Not going to be a good investment if you ask me.

Thanked by 2netomx Riz

@Brad said:
    Telegram also exists.

Not going to be a good investment if you ask me.

It's not related, not even close... Of course I'm not going to disclose the full idea here! :)