Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

blocking ASN on VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

blocking ASN on VPS

kzedkzed Member

hi,
is there any tool or command to blocking specific ASN on VPS as easy as doing it in Cloudflare?

thankyou

Comments

• kzedkzed Member

interesting, so its actually we need blocking manually all ips inside that ASN,
    there is alot of commands to just block a single ASN,
    if i want to blocking multiple ASNs, let say 10 ASNs, will it slow down my VPS?

• Are you sure blocking a whole ASN is a good idea? There might be better ways to do this

• MadMad Member
    edited July 2016

You should block it:

http://bgp.he.net/AS15169

• kzedkzed Member

@linuxthefish, almost everyday my websites got leeched or abused by some ips from DCs like aws,ovh,linode,etc. so instead of blocking single or /24 range, i think blocking their ASN

• rds100rds100 Member

@kzed it's called "welcome to the internet"

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • kzedkzed Member
    edited July 2016

@andreamada, haha, lucky you that you dont have your own ASN yet, if you have one, let me know, i'll write your ASN on my top blocked list /s
    i'm asking a serious question -.-

Thanked by 1Mad
  • blackblack Member

@kzed how much traffic do you get? http://getipintel.net lets you do 500 queries a day for free and blocks hosting companies. Alternatively, if you want to manage your own list of ASNs to block, use something that looks up ip -> asn like http://www.team-cymru.org/IP-ASN-mapping.html or grab raw bgp dumps and parse CIDR -> ASN yourself.

• @andreamada said:
    You should block it:

lol you really want Google to remove his site from their index?

Blocking OVH ASN is the best thing to do because of their ips huge involvement in abuse and i don't think blocking OVH means blocking any home user?

• @black is there any ASN list available of big web hosts like OVH? I have already blocked OVH and Hetzner but there are many others specially the LET vps providers that i want to block i have faced enough trouble because of their VPS users.

• kzedkzed Member

@rds100, i like Cloudflare feature that you can easly block an ASN on their firewall just write the ASN, but since my provider does not recommend using Cloudflare infront of their DDOS protection, so i need to sacrifice one of it,
    @black, thanks for your offer, unfortunately my traffic is a bit heavy, so adding a lookup into my script probably will make more loads to my server.

• kzedkzed Member

@WebGuru, how you blocking OVH and Hetzner?

• @kzed are you a victim of regular ddos too lol? I had to sacrifice Voxility Layer 7 for Cloudflare because when i used both of them together Google bot wasn't able to access my site while users were having no issue so half of my pages went missing from Google index and i only came to know about it after a week :(

I face most abuse from OVH ips

• blackblack Member

WebGuru said: @black is there any ASN list available of big web hosts like OVH? I have already blocked OVH and Hetzner but there are many others specially the LET vps providers that i want to block i have faced enough trouble because of their VPS users.

I remember someone posted a list on github awhile ago but I don't know where to look for it anymore.

kzed said: @black, thanks for your offer, unfortunately my traffic is a bit heavy, so adding a lookup into my script probably will make more loads to my server.

So you're looking for blocking techniques before the IP connects to your server? Like something via Cloudflare's firewall panel?

• @kzed said:
    @WebGuru, how you blocking OVH and Hetzner?

Through Cloudflare and through Nginx when using dns only mode of CF.

• @black said:

WebGuru said: @black is there any ASN list available of big web hosts like OVH? I have already blocked OVH and Hetzner but there are many others specially the LET vps providers that i want to block i have faced enough trouble because of their VPS users.

I remember someone posted a list on github awhile ago but I don't know where to look for it anymore.

kzed said: @black, thanks for your offer, unfortunately my traffic is a bit heavy, so adding a lookup into my script probably will make more loads to my server.

So you're looking for blocking techniques before the IP connects to your server? Like something via Cloudflare's firewall panel?

Oh ok i will try to find it.

Is it better to stop it at entry level in iptables level or nginx? (which method is better and fast i don't want to slow down the loading time)

• kzedkzed Member

@WebGuru, well yes, DDOS and other things,
    @black, yes something like cloudflare's firewall panel, my last solution would be using them, but since my provider does not recommending it because it will make false alarm to their DDOS protection so i never tried combining it yet.

• I had to block countries like Japan and Korea because of VPN Gate. (well my sites hardly get any traffic from their so it was an ok decision)

• blackblack Member

WebGuru said: Is it better to stop it at entry level in iptables level or nginx? (which method is better and fast i don't want to slow down the loading time)

default IPtables doesn't handle large set of rules very well. Nginx should be fine in terms of load times.

kzed said: @black, yes something like cloudflare's firewall panel, my last solution would be using them, but since my provider does not recommending it because it will make false alarm to their DDOS protection so i never tried combining it yet.

Oh I see. I thought you were having issues with bots crawling your pages and "leeching". You can compile a list of ASNs, get all the CIDRs, convert them to a range CF would accept in CF firewall and block it. I don't know if CF will get pissed when they see you have thousands of firewall rules though. Also ASN CIDRs announcements change. A new IP block can appear or an IP block can disappear (sold to someone else) so you'll have to keep things updated.

Thanked by 1kzed
  • WebGuruWebGuru Member
    edited July 2016

@black said:

WebGuru said: Is it better to stop it at entry level in iptables level or nginx? (which method is better and fast i don't want to slow down the loading time)

default IPtables doesn't handle large set of rules very well. Nginx should be fine in terms of load times.

kzed said: @black, yes something like cloudflare's firewall panel, my last solution would be using them, but since my provider does not recommending it because it will make false alarm to their DDOS protection so i never tried combining it yet.

Oh I see. I thought you were having issues with bots crawling your pages and "leeching". You can compile a list of ASNs, get all the CIDRs, convert them to a range CF would accept in CF firewall and block it. I don't know if CF will get pissed when they see you have thousands of firewall rules though. Also ASN CIDRs announcements change. A new IP block can appear or an IP block can disappear (sold to someone else) so you'll have to keep things updated.

thanks for suggestion so i will keep using the nginx method.

@kzed are you using nginx? it's pretty easy to block them all you had to do is get the CIDRs and do it this way in your site conf file (location block):

OVH

deny 5.39.0.0/17;

deny 5.135.0.0/16;

deny 5.196.0.0/16;

deny 8.7.244.0/24;

deny 8.18.128.0/24;

deny 8.18.136.0/21;

• lol just checked https://www.enjen.net/asn-blocklist/stats.php and it looks like ColoCrossing ASN has been looked up most :D

• Check this list https://www.enjen.net/asn-blocklist/stats.php

It's really helpful i can find ASN of almost every host there.

• MadMad Member

@WebGuru said:

@andreamada said:
    You should block it:

lol you really want Google to remove his site from their index?

It was just ironic, not too difficult to understand it :)

• jh_aurologicjh_aurologic Member, Patron Provider

@kzed said:
    interesting, so its actually we need blocking manually all ips inside that ASN,
    there is alot of commands to just block a single ASN,
    if i want to blocking multiple ASNs, let say 10 ASNs, will it slow down my VPS?

Use route add -net x.x.x.x/X gw 127.0.0.1 lo

This will not cause any significant performance degradation.