Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Announcing Legacy IP Blocks
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Announcing Legacy IP Blocks

Is it possible to announce a Legacy Non ARIN administered IP block in N. America?

Comments

• DamianDamian Member

Yes. There's plenty in use.

• thanks!

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

did you bought one ?

• did I buy one? I'm about to

• DamianDamian Member

You can actually announce it anywhere you'd like.

Note that if you're not running your own BGP and are expecting another company to announce it for you, AND they're worth their salt, expect them to ask for proof of ownership of the block.

Also note that militant "anti-spam" groups like CleanMX will severely under-score recently updated legacy blocks, since they expect that, misguided or not, legacy blocks will generally stay with their original company.

Thanked by 1ehab
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Dammit I thought the Internet was announcing a new feature when I clicked on this thread.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @raindog308 said:
    Dammit I thought the Internet was announcing a new feature when I clicked on this thread.

Nguyen had this feature years back as a beta tester.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @Damian said:
    You can actually announce it anywhere you'd like.

Note that if you're not running your own BGP and are expecting another company to announce it for you, AND they're worth their salt, expect them to ask for proof of ownership of the block.

Also note that militant "anti-spam" groups like CleanMX will severely under-score recently updated legacy blocks, since they expect that, misguided or not, legacy blocks will generally stay with their original company.

Thanks @Damian .. moving from LOA to outright ownership, what proof do upstream providers usually need and if I get my own ASN does that make the process easier?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

If you own it you can always have it registered with a RIR so you get the option of creating route records, etc.

• registering a Legacy block with RIR, doesn't that mean you are voluntarily opting in to their terms, usage restrictions and fees?

• You could get someone to sponsor you, then you don't have to pay as much in fees.

https://www.prager-it.com/services