Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most Secure VPN Technology/Method
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Most Secure VPN Technology/Method

Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran
edited March 2013 in General

Hi,
I have heard about many VPN Technology's among them I have used OpenVPN and PPTP only. Now, I need to know which VPN technology/Method is the most secured of all ?? Also I have to add/assign 100 or more static/dedicated IP's on that VPN Method. From this point of view, which is more user-friendly, I mean I will have less difficulty adding IP's !

My definition for secure VPN technology stands that I won't be traceable by anyone.

Thanks.

Comments

• @ehostlab said: My definition for secure VPN technology stands that I won't be traceable by anyone.

That's with any software that tunnels through other IPs... And if it's regarding government, unless you have some crappy setup like Tor, they can still trace you

• I wouldn't trust PPTP. There was an exploit not too long ago that allowed people to find your real IP if you had a fully forwarded IP.

With OpenVPN, RUN IPTABLES. Make sure in Windows it's declared a Public Network. However, OpenVPN is the better choice.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

@Rallias said: With OpenVPN, RUN IPTABLES. Make sure in Windows it's declared a Public Network. However, OpenVPN is the better choice.

Here I get OpenVPN.

• wdqwdq Member

PPTP isn't very secure at all, and most people should avoid it if they can.

Otherwise both OpenVPN and L2TP/IPSec are very secure. I'm not sure which one is easiest to configure as far as having that many IP's.

• most secure: ipsec
    most user friendly: probably pptp

• liviuliviu Member

OpenVPN with certificate authentication rather than user/pass, run it on some non-default ports (i.e. 53/UDP, 443/TCP etc.)
    cipher AES-256-CBC in openvpn conf file
    Disk encryption (LUCS)
    Your own DNS servers

L2TP/IPSec comes next (with certificate auth)

• If you only want to access internet you can run SQUID and on top of it a SSL tunnel. This is pretty secure too.

• liviuliviu Member

or even better: ssh tunnel (with key auth) <- a lot faster than OpenVPN

• OllieOllie Member

@liviu This is good but doesn't always do the job :P People don't use VPN just to change their IP. For instance I used to have a VPN setup for allowing only certain LOCAL IPs SSH access.

• liviuliviu Member
    edited March 2013

@Ollie allowing SSH connections only from local IPs post-VPN connections, if that's what you're referring to - even PPTP would do the job just fine.

It's a different thing when the VPN is the single layer (used to access the Internet and such, not only SSH to a certain server)

SSH is secure enough as it is, assuming it's not running on default port, nor allowing users to use 123456 as passwords.
    Strictly related to ssh and ease of use, I believe that running SSH on a non-standard port using key based authentication is (at least) as good as allowing SSH connections (u/p auh) only from VPN (local IPs)

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@ehostlab said: My definition for secure VPN technology stands that I won't be traceable by anyone.

Impossible.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@ehostlab said: My definition for secure VPN technology stands that I won't be traceable by anyone.

Even TOR is traceable...the question is how easily.

• goexodusgoexodus Member
    edited March 2013

The only way to be untraceable is to destroy logs or even better change them for misinformation, at your path :)

• Even then you have your ISPs logfiles that have the Endpoint, Source IP and Traffic flow saved (European data retention covers this also for DCs in most countries)

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

From these, I could learn that it is impossible to be hidden via any VPN Technology. I will try OpenVPN as I find it easy other than IPsec/any other. PPTP is the one I use for personal use only.

• OllieOllie Member

@liviu I suppose :)

• OllieOllie Member

It's always good to have the extra layer of protection though.

• You need better anonymity then use a no log vpn{aka a vpn that don't record logs}
    I heard about nvpn.net and others you can find on torrentfreak.

You-->No log vpn -->internet should be pretty secured
    also choose you vpn location wisely{aka countries with no data retention laws}
    Romania, Poland, Moldova , Serbia and Sweden are best from my point of view.
    I am not related to these at all its just for information purpose.
    Its going to be very hard to trace you...You can use some private proxies on top of vpn if you liked

• liviuliviu Member
    edited March 2013

imo, Sweden is far from being a no-log friendly country after all TPB and Wikileaks scandals.
    Romania is also overrated in the "offshores" category on hosting forums, thanks to Voxility which is a provider who doesn't care much about what's going on in their network (i.e. hosting tor exit nodes and such / probably one of the 3 most abuse-friendly providers in Europe)

If someone calls the authorities in RO to report an abuse (except for pirated movies because everyone in RO is using bit torrent), it's likely that the whole rack (and a few full racks around) will be on a truck in the very next hour on the way to the forensics labs. There have been ISPs in RO going out of business for hosting some hacking forums in their network.
    There is also a strong coop between US feds and Romanian counter-parts (read: Romanian authorities do whatever the US feds want, whenever they want), so ask yourself what are you planning to do before using a paid VPN in any EU country

• @liviu said: ask yourself what are you planning to do before using a paid VPN in any EU country

Theoretically, you aren't supposed to use any VPN to do illegal stuff.

• liviuliviu Member

but in practice, the advertisement such as "no logging, anonymity, privacy, military-grade encryption" etc. is an invitation for those who plan to do illegal stuff