Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for employment
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for employment

MrObviousMrObvious Member
edited March 2013 in General

Hello LET -

Are there any providers here that happen to be hiring? My present dayjob is less than satisfying, and is nowhere near where I want to end up (you could call it a "deadpool" of a job). I've been sticking my head into hosting since I was probably 12 years old, and it's where my passion is.

I don't have any fancy schooling, nor any fancy certifications because higher education has always been financially out of reach for me - but I take every single opportunity I can to learn from what I'm doing, or what other people are doing.

With that, I also don't have an impressive webhosting-related resume - it's filled with dead end jobs in fast food restaurants and I would like to change that.

A bit about me: My names Tyler, I'm 24 years old and live in the panhandle of Nebraska, the land of promised blizzards and 60 degree weather in January. At present, you could say I "sling footlongs" as a humorous way to put it, which is what my employment has consisted of for nearly five and a half years. Ideally, I'm looking for a full-time replacement career to get me from what I'm doing now, to where I want to go, but I would also be happy with a part-time position that could work towards full-time employment. I would prefer remote based work to start, but would also be open to the idea of relocation at a future time.

If you would be interested in speaking with me, you may PM me for my email address/skype/phone number.

Thanks for reading!

Comments

• flyfly Member

I think perhaps you should focus on your strengths / skills which are related to hosting-type jobs? (i.e. networking, linux, customer service)

• Good point. I've only ever really dealt with the technical support aspect of things, but I've been doing what I do long enough that customer service is just natural to me at this point.

I wouldn't consider myself a sysadmin, but I can get around doing what needs done.

• Hey,

Just as an individual and a member of this community, please take some time to look into this: https://www.coursera.org/

It contains a ton of courses related to higher education from highly reputable universities. Although you may not have "graduated" from a reputable university you can show you have invested your time in learning what interests you.

With the knowledge present, you should be able to qualify for a better job.

Personally, (If I was hiring) I like your enthusiasm, but unfortunately I believe that more experience/knowledge is required.

Take this not as criticism in a negative tone (I'm not trying to shoot you down!) but instead to try and better you and offer you other alternatives at gaining higher education!

• @MrObvious some of the most fruitful and lasting opportunities I have ever had came from reaching out. Do it. And do it in person. I know-this is worth a shot. But you might not realize what you're missing out on unless you try. If it's any consolation to keep my bills paid the past few years I started a job search site to use for myself and learned what it means to truly network. I have this funny feeling that by coming on here you know yourself that your list of technical, perhaps professional contacts is not what it should be. Just keep trying, and keep the faith!

• I tried to do 2 courses of medicine.. it's boring and difficulty scalates fast. Also tried something with "Natural Language Processing".

With almost ALL the courses you need some advanced knowledge.

• flyfly Member
    edited March 2013

NLP is really tough stuff. you shouldn't expect to just get into it without some background in AI/CS

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

MrObvious, you could look at getting one of those "fancy" certifications. I'm not huge on certs, but if you have no experience, having a RHCE or CCNA may be better than nothing.

• hyaohyao Member
    edited March 2013

@raindog308 said: MrObvious, you could look at getting one of those "fancy" certifications. I'm not huge on certs, but if you have no experience, having a RHCE or CCNA may be better than nothing.

+1

RHCE is task oriented, which means you only get certified when you're able to complete the practical assignments. Linux distros being mostly similar to each other, IMHO, once you get a RHCE, you should quality for Level II technical support at (most) hosting businesses in terms of Linux skills.

• Check WHT's forum, I've had a few part-time things in the past as temp sysadmin or simple things, on the other hand, if you don't mind finding new markets, I'm more than happy to negotiate something with yourself, to get us a larger, broader look at the market infront of us, LET is Saturated and WHT is overflowing.

• markmark Member

Try putting together a portfolio of what you have done. Even if it's just hobby work, an online portfolio shows you have some idea what you're doing and you can do some specific things to prove your ability and interests. Certificates aren't everything.

• ztecztec Member

Give this man a job!

• @ztec said: Give this man a job!

You do it then?

• ztecztec Member

@HalfEatenPie said: You do it then?

I can't fill his ambitions. I need writers, programmers, designers and a some data entry agents from time to time, but never full-time.

• Hey all - thanks for all the suggestions. I'm definitely up for something different if the opportunity is there.

@mark - I do have an online listing of projects that I've been involved in, I just didn't post it before because I kind of forgot to renew that domain, but my mostly up to date resume is accessible at http://tylerweinrich.com

I'll be able to reply better once I'm at home, not a very skilled writer from a phone.

Thanks again!

• Well... Seeing Clayton's name there... Reminds me of old times haha.

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2013

Just my personal opinion, but I believe @joepie91 could have done much more for himself in his current situation if something similar to this was posted. Out of interest @joepie91, does your opinion on jobs and the ethics behind them rule out working with a provider? I've not read too much into your thoughts, but if that's something you'd be interested in, surely this is the perfect place to ask? inb4"orWHT"

EDIT: And good luck @MrObvious, really hope something turns up for you :)

• @HalfEatenPie said: Well... Seeing Clayton's name there... Reminds me of old times haha.

I've known Clayton for..years. Met him originally through playing StarCraft way back in the day - He's a good guy.

@liamwithers said: EDIT: And good luck @MrObvious, really hope something turns up for you :)

I hope for the same - I've had a couple people PM me, and I'll followup with them.

@eastonch said: if you don't mind finding new markets, I'm more than happy to negotiate something with yourself, to get us a larger, broader look at the market infront of us

Get in touch with me? I'm open to new things - I'm just absolutely tired with what I've been doing for the past few years, and ready to venture on. What I do now literally is a dead stop, with no room for progression anymore.

• marcmmarcm Member

@MrObvious - I have one solid piece of advice for you: get in school and get a degree. You don't need to a attend some fancy school, your closest community college will do and they will also guide you in how to obtain financial support. The hosting market at this moment is saturated and there are more offers than there is demand. This wasn't the case a few years ago, but it is the reality of today. Things will get much better for you once you have a degree. I am of course not saying that you shouldn't do nothing in the meantime, I'm just trying to give you the best advice that I can. I wish you the best of luck!

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

@marcm I am going to respectfully disagree with you. I don't thunk college is for everyone. Personally I don't feel like four years of not working on my business and having high loans etc. Is worth it. I made the choice to not go to college. Do people give me a lot of shit when I say that? Yes, but I'm stubborn :D

• @shovenose - I agree, to an extent.

Whichever way you go in life, I personally think it's a good idea to have a 'plan'.
    If going to college is going to get you from A to B. If it serves no purpose for you, then what's the point?

I personally am in education, and will be for a while. It's where I want/need to be though :)

• @marcm said: Things will get much better for you once you have a degree

I'll also disagree. I know of many people who have gone to the expense of gaining qualifications only to find out employers want experience and so get rejected. Specifically in this industry I think experience opens many more doors than a bit of paper does. You'd be surprised at just how many people in this industry have (or started out with) no qualifications.

• Quite honestly, the reason I haven't done any college courses, aside from not wanting to take on the monetary part of it, is that it would be too complicated juggling with my present job.

I feel I wouldn't be able to manage the two together, our community college doesn't have much in the way of night classes, and I work full-time during the day managing a restaurant. Even if they did do night classes, I feel that either my work or my schooling would fall behind - and would end up digging a hole.

• @MartinD said: I know of many people who have gone to the expense of gaining qualifications only to find out employers want experience and so get rejected.

My sister went through that when she graduated from community college years ago to an extent. Everything that she applied for at the time (mind you, this was in like 2002) rejected her saying she was overqualified for everything she was applying for and they didn't want her degree to go to waste working for them. She ended up having to take a job that had absolutely nothing to do with her field of study until she was able to move to a larger city where she could take on a job that actually used her degree - but by that point she had to enroll back in school to update parts of it because some things she had studied were invalid by that point.

• @shovenose @marcm @elliotj

My initial idea was to leave college (UK) and start my own business locally with Machine Repairs, since, I decided to persue a 4 year Uni course setting me back approx ~45K into Debt. However, when looking at the experiences I can get by learning and also the work experience, I think it's the best option for me.

College / University isnt for everybody however.

• @eastonch said: I think it's the best option for me.

Personally. The field I study in currently (last semester) is in nowhere related to servers and VPSes. But I would never give up my college education just so I could make money now (in my opinion) as I know that I can live a more comfortable life if I worked hard now.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@shovenose said: I don't thunk college is for everyone.

Evidently not.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited March 2013

@raindog308 I think @shovenose needs to go back to kindergarten. B-)

• ztecztec Member
    edited March 2013

@shovenose said: @marcm I am going to respectfully disagree with you. I don't thunk college is for everyone. Personally I don't feel like four years of not working on my business and having high loans etc. Is worth it. I made the choice to not go to college. Do people give me a lot of shit when I say that? Yes, but I'm stubborn :D

Starting your own business is always smarter then going to college, at least if you take it seriously. Just not everyone is able to start a business. All the people I know so far that finished college basically got the same dead-end job they had before they went to college. People dont hire on degree anymore but on real capability.

If you think you can get the skills you need at college then go for it, but if you can get more experience some other way then by all means go for that. If people give you shit for your choice, even better. It builds character which also lands you more success in the future. It's about becoming a valuable person, not about stacking the most degrees.

Here some motivation:

• @ztec said: People dont hire on degree anymore but on real capability

Yes they do... just not on the internet

• ztecztec Member
    edited March 2013

@BronzeByte said: Yes they do... just not on the internet

Maybe some mid-level positions are filled this way, but as far as my experience goes. Companies who really need you to perform, will actually just test you themself or hire you for minimum-wage and just observe what you can actually deliver, then pay you accordingly.