Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Supermicro Build vs Buy
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Supermicro Build vs Buy

bdtechbdtech Member
edited March 2013 in General

I am looking to buy or build a 1U supermicro. There's so many options: ebay, amazon, newegg, lowest google shopping prices, etc. The superserver barebones seemed liked the easiest route.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

My requirements: Dual nic, 16-48GB DDR3, lower watt cpu (preferred), supermicro chassis/mb, 4 HD bays, raid 10, rails.
Optional: IPMI, dual PSU

Comments

• The most important question is what do you require the server for? What's it going to be doing?

• Production web server, maybe openvz

• I'd personally go the "buy parts at newegg and build myself" route. Be aware though that E3 CPUs only take 32GB RAM maximum.

• Build will cost you less then buy

• Build is more complicated when you get a bad part unless you have spares lying around.

• @nutjob said: Build is more complicated when you get a bad part unless you have spares lying around.

Just get replacment by warrenty

• @dosserversca said: @nutjob said: Build is more complicated when you get a bad part unless you have spares lying around.

Just get replacment by warrenty

But Warranty replacement takes time. Have to ship it back, then they ship you a new one.

• @Magiobiwan said: But Warranty replacement takes time. Have to ship it back, then they ship you a new one.

And how do you think it works for bought servers..?

• @dosserversca said: Just get replacment by warrenty

You put together a new PSU, CPU, motherboard and memory. It doesn't start. Which part do I get replaced?

• @BronzeByte said: And how do you think it works for bought servers..?

You know what you have to return in that case. Without spare parts you can't narrow down the problem. Putting together your own machine is only feasible when you're doing several, or building on an ongoing basis.

• @nutjob

"It doesn't start" isn't helpfull.

Tell us the beep code the motherboard is giving. Do you get anything on screen. Checked all the connecters? Is the PSU okay? (Test it)

and so on, it isn't that hard to find something out like that. You just need the information you aren't giving us right now.

(And yes I know this is an example)

• nutjobnutjob Member
    edited March 2013

@taronyu said: "It doesn't start" isn't helpfull.

No beeps, blank screen.Of course you've checked all the connectors multiple times. We're talking about a bad part (which could be a bad connector).

If the fan spins up or the USB ports get power you know you're getting power, but even then the power could be bad.

Machines can also get past POST and still fail before boot and the ability to run any sort of diagnostics.

They can also boot fine then reboot for no reason, or have performance problems, etc, etc, etc.

Don't take my word for it, go over to Newegg or the like and read the frustrated reviews of people trying to get new machines to work, replacing every component and only then discovering the real problem.

• erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited March 2013

@nutjob, you are seriously just talking about customer support over phone, I prefer forums, but if I need support I just call a supplier with decent support, like Dell.

Oh and I do build my own servers, usually 10 at once

• @nutjob said: No beeps, blank screen.

Memory. Specifically, the port it goes into.

• erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited March 2013

I always have a spare server and hard drives on site, matter of hot-swapping drives and reassigning the IP. (least downtime)

Then just send the "broken" one to the office and just take a new server and put all parts of the faulty server in one-by-one until I encounter the fault (so I can investigate with as much time as I want and throw away the faulty parts before being mistaken and putting it back in)

• @Rallias Almost my exact comment ;)!

• @nutjob said: No beeps, blank screen.Of course you've checked all the connectors multiple times. We're talking about a bad part (which could be a bad connector).

Easy, it's a bad motherboard/dimm socket(s). Pull memory and see if it boots with each stick in singly. SuperMicro(FoxxCon) has horrible QC, once you get a good one, it lasts forever, it's just getting the good one....

• @miTgiB said: it's just getting the good one....

I hear through the grape vines that if you offer the bad ones candy they'll lighten up and become good. Its only through the grape vines.

• @eastonch: Well... Color me oven.

• bdtechbdtech Member
    edited March 2013

What do you guys think of this?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=151008817237

1U Supermicro Server X8DTU-F 2x Intel L5520 24GB RAM, 4x 3.5" SATA Trays CSE-815TQ-R700
    Fully tested 100% great working condition

Chassis: Supermicro 19" 1U Rackmountable CSE-815TQ-R700 700W 4 3.5" SAS SATA Hard Drive Bay 25" Depth

CPU: 2x Intel Xeon Quad Core L5520 2.26Ghz Socket 1366 60W

Memory: 24GB DDR3 ECC REG Memory

Hard Drive: Comes with 4x HD Caddies, will not come with Drives please message us if you want to purchase drives from us.

Motherboard: Supermicro X8DTU-F

Power Supply: 2x 650W Cold Watt Power Redundant power supply

RAID: Onboard RAID from OS

Rails: will come with Rail Kit

• @bdtech

What is your budget?

• @bdtech said: What do you guys think of this?

Sorry for dumb question, but does the price include the cpu and ram?

• @jcaleb yes, CPU: 2x Intel Xeon Quad Core L5520 2.26Ghz Socket 1366 60W

• @dosserversca somewhat flexible but can always upgrade RAM down the road.

• @bdtech said: @jcaleb yes, CPU: 2x Intel Xeon Quad Core L5520 2.26Ghz Socket 1366 60W

Thanks! hardware is really cheap in US

• @jcaleb said: Thanks! hardware is really cheap in US

Not really. It's just that it's ebay. You take the risks involved really and possible remote hands fees etc unless you live close. It also uses more power, which means the rack won't fit as many servers.

• @concerto49 recommendations?

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited March 2013

@bdtech said: @concerto49 recommendations?

It depends on what you're aiming for. If you go to a cheap facility, getting an extra amp won't be costly, but it's a cheap facility. You'd also need to watch out on heating issues then.

It won't matter as much for 1 server anyway, but when you have something like a rack it does.

Imagine remote hands costing $300/hour - it does at quite a few places I know... then that's why you don't see any used servers getting sold there.

If you are looking for best pricing E3 - try superbiiz. It's great and cheap.

• @bdtech said: What do you guys think of this?

Way overpriced, and out of date. This is a webserver, so just get an E3-1230v2 32gb 4x1tb and a raid card, ~$1700 give or take, 3-5 years of life ahead of you. Shop the bargain bin, sure you save now, but when you put customers on it and they start spitting at you for old hardware, then how much did you save?