Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Browser Diet
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Browser Diet

yomeroyomero Member
edited March 2013 in General

This is pure gold for web developers.

And is exactly all the recommendations at Google Pagespeed but with a nice explanation.

http://browserdiet.com/

Comments

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep
  • NexusNexus Member
    edited March 2013

Under optimize your images I think they should add Tinypng.org

I know smush.it is very nice, but tinypng.org actually does it even better.

Great site, did you make it?

• IshaqIshaq Member

I only feed my browser vegetables.

I should be good to go.

• I enjoyed reading that. Thanks!

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@PhilND said: I enjoyed reading that. Thanks!

Me, too. Thanks yomero!

• natestammnatestamm Member
    edited March 2013

@yomero great site Thank you and it has some names I like there too *lots of this is very progressive, some subjective, But there are things lots of Developers aren't doing that even I just started to adopt as policy more recently than not. For instance: Chaining. Lots of great developers are not making use of this. They are hogging resources, albeit on a minute level, and writing just ugly looking code when they could have all the functionality they need in one line. One line, period. I had a coworker last year who really taught me to use the tools I have available, and some I wasn't using more out of obstinance than not. If you aren't using those tools and these methods (no pun intended) You aren't going to make it as a Developer. Really got me back on the horse as a *researcher in the past year. Swhy I hate hearing people knock programming languages. Are those people doing anything innovative and progressive in a days time, to say nothing of making money from it? And learning any thing to boot? I doubt it. Any how sorry for the wall, But this is time for the resurgence fellas. Of the whole show. We need to take this infrastructure into the future.

• DotMGDotMG Member

A good read. But I felt a terrible miss about the server performance tuning, regarding memory footprint and/or disks IO necessary on the server side to render page. If my customers chose more lightweight engines than Wordpress and Joomla to run their website, I wouldn't need to look for more servers each time I get new customers :)

One day, I had a customer expecting 100 concurrent visits in peak time, running his site (a site, not a blog) with Wordpress, while a single visit increased memory usage by at least 200MB. I'd need 20GB RAM just for him, while if his website were made static, 20MB would have been enough.

At least this article could have warned people to avoid using these popular but terrible CMSes.

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited March 2013

@DotMG said: But I felt a terrible miss about the server performance tuning

Well, yes.
    I think that's because the article is oriented just for the code side of the stuff. Not for sysadmins :P but for programmers.
    And probably, there are a lot more resources for that kind of optimizations.

But that is apache stuff u_u

• Hehe, it mentions 'compressing' the HTML to remove indentation and comments, although their 'view source' is hypocritical..

Good suggestions though! :)

• good read! i certainly learned a lot of new tricks today :)

• @DotMG

Enabling Caching would speed things up, right?

• Thanks for the share @yomero

Bookmarked!

• DotMGDotMG Member
    edited March 2013

@eastonch yes, but that doesn't mean Wordpress isn't bloatware.