Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HHVM vs PHP 7.0
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HHVM vs PHP 7.0

What is the future of HHVM? Which one will you suggest for a production web application? Consider me a newbie and never used these versions in any project. :) Thanks :)

Comments

• blackblack Member

I'd go with 7.0

Thanked by 1GCat
  • youjingsenlinyoujingsenlin Member
    edited July 2016

+1

• HHVM is awesome. But PHP 7 is a tight competitor now. I'd suggest PHP 7 because it's popularity.

Try HHVM also.

• HHVM is ready to replace PHP5.6? Some of my apps are not compatible with php7.

• GulfGulf Member

@Arjon said:
    HHVM is ready to replace PHP5.6? Some of my apps are not compatible with php7.

How?

• I have started running for small apps in HHVM. Didnt find much issues as of now. May be we will find few in the later stage of development.

• raynorraynor Member
    edited July 2016

PHP 7 is fast enough now and will be faster with next updates.
    HHVM is much faster than older PHP 5 versions, but not than PHP 7.

• How about memory usage?

• ardaarda Member

Another vote for PHP7.x

• jhjh Member

The future of HHVM is not bright - or orange. Most performance comparisons put PHP7 ahead, it it's much easier to manage, easier to debug and supports a larger set of functions.

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

better to be with php...

• Use PHP 7.0. We use PHP 7.0 in production and get a 20% to 30% speed increase, it is not even JIT. By using HHVM you have to deal with compatibility issues.

• DamianDamian Member

zzcworld said: By using HHVM you have to deal with compatibility issues.

Have any examples?

• @Damian search for "HHVM compatibility" you'll get a lot of examples. Here we use a lot of PHP extensions such as ImageMagick. I don't have any example by myself but from what I understand HHVM is not a 100% compatible JIT-enabled PHP distribution.

• PHP 7.0 because it's how PHP is supposed to be.

Thanked by 1Gulf
  • GCatGCat Member

NodeJS

• GulfGulf Member

@GCat said:
    NodeJS

Something like Laravel here?

• GCatGCat Member

@Gulf said:

@GCat said:
    NodeJS

Something like Laravel here?

http://mean.io/

• GulfGulf Member

I've tried that and finally switched back to Laravel.

• sinsin Member

PHP7 for me, I run my sites with separate php-fpm pools as different users/groups and last time I used HHVM I couldn't do that.

• GulfGulf Member
    edited July 2016

The ideal framework should allow me to work as productive as possible right from the box.
    Currently Laravel helps me to achieve that.
    I really like the idea of Node.js, but could not find a good node.js framework.

• jhjh Member

amarc said: After all, do you think Facebook would run something that sucks ?

That doesn't mean that it's a good idea for Joe Public, who might not be fully aware of the PHP functions that his software (or his customers' software) needs and the implementation of those functions in HHVM.

If you need high-level serialization for example (common in Magento, Zend Framework etc.) then you'll need to switch of JIT compilation to allow eval() (say what you want about eval but it's commonly used in this way and not going to change any time soon..)

HHVM > 3.9 seems to be much less stable than 3.9. This is compounded by the fact that HHVM provides effectively no useful debugging information unless in "debug mode", which increases page load times roughly tenfold. The debugging produced by debug mode needs someone with a understanding of memory allocation, among other things, which is not your typical webmaster or cPanel host.

And the limited set of functions means that you may need to replace a lot of your code. To some extent, PHP7, being new, has the same problem, but you have to think about what the long term advantage of making such changes might be. If the adoption of HHVM stays low / declines (seems likely) then adapting your code specifically for HHVM might not be a good investment.

• Right now my php code is working fine with HHVM without much issues. If some error is coming up, that is due my bad coding..:)

• DamianDamian Member

zzcworld said: I don't have any example by myself

That's what I was looking for, I was looking for something more empirical. I can find plenty of "HHVM is the most incompatible thing ever!" sky-is-falling articles, but out of the people I know to be using it (which I will admit is not many), no one's had a code incompatibility thus far. That being said, the people I know to be using HHVM wouldn't be using some of PHP's more arcane functions, so that may be the reason for the lack of issues.