Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

File storage question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

File storage question

can i just buy a shared hosting with unlimited bandwidth and storage for like lets say Godaddy and just upload all my video files and stream them? wouldnt that be cheaper than buying file hosting from like mediafire.com?
what do you guys think?

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2016

Basically all "unlimited" shared hosts have a clause in their terms of service stating that the service can't be used for file storage or video streaming. You could probably get away with streaming if you use a CDN like CloudFlare, but if you're using tons of disk space for sitting files nope.

• MacPacMacPac Member
    edited July 2016

depends on how much storage do you need because there is no such thing as 'unlimited' storage and they will suspend/shut your hosting down if you use too much and i recommend you to get a cloud storage from hubic/ovh or rent a dedicated server from kimsufi/ovh/hetzner with as much disks as you want.

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Most hosts that have "unlimited" storage space, won't allow you to just store files there, they have hidden clauses in their TOS that say something like "all your files must be related to your website" and something like "if you abuse resources, we have the right to suspend/terminate you".

"Unlimited" storage is just a selling point, it's not real, doh.

• the files are like less than 25mb and they might get only like 100 views a day

• IshaqIshaq Member

@lukenstine said: the files are like less than 25mb and they might get only like 100 views a day

Depending on how many 25MB files you have, that sounds perfectly reasonable.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

usually also limited by ionodes, so storage is actually limited.

• @lukenstine said:
    can i just buy a shared hosting with unlimited bandwidth and storage for like lets say Godaddy and just upload all my video files and stream them? wouldnt that be cheaper than buying file hosting from like mediafire.com?
    what do you guys think?

Godaddy will ban you or suggest you to buy their high hosting package if you did that on their system !

• LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider

Most unlimited shared hosters have set a inodes limit to avoid abuse in form of millions of files.
    I don't think you'll run into trouble if you just have a couple tens of GB storage in use, especially not since SATA storage these days is very cheap per GB.
    However, with storage exceeding 100GB+ it could be possible that a sysadmin is going to look what is going on your account to check if you're violating their terms. Don't expect to be able to store hundreds of GB data on a (cheap) 'unlimited' shared hosting plan.

If you need 100GB+ storage it might be worth looking at a cheap storage VPS. Turn that storage VPS in a webserver and you're good to go without having to worry about being suspended on shared box :-)

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

i agree you can try but you will probably shortly get a notice explaining you're not following TOS so my advice is spare time and efforts, sign up for a storage solution right from the begining.

Depending on the number of videos and privacy degree of the files another solution might be to upload videos on a platform like youtube and only publish links on your website.

• lukenstinelukenstine Member
    edited July 2016

i have had bad experiences with vps. the cheap ones are always down. and the good ones have little too no space.

@LiteServer said:
    Most unlimited shared hosters have set a inodes limit to avoid abuse in form of millions of files.
    I don't think you'll run into trouble if you just have a couple tens of GB storage in use, especially not since SATA storage these days is very cheap per GB.
    However, with storage exceeding 100GB+ it could be possible that a sysadmin is going to look what is going on your account to check if you're violating their terms. Don't expect to be able to store hundreds of GB data on a (cheap) 'unlimited' shared hosting plan.

If you need 100GB+ storage it might be worth looking at a cheap storage VPS. Turn that storage VPS in a webserver and you're good to go without having to worry about being suspended on shared box :-)

• i have about 1000 files with 25mb in size.

@Ishaq said:

@lukenstine said: the files are like less than 25mb and they might get only like 100 views a day

Depending on how many 25MB files you have, that sounds perfectly reasonable.

• IshaqIshaq Member

@lukenstine said: i have about 1000 files with 25mb in size.

That's only 25GB. And if any host has an inode limit of 1000 then shame on them.

If you want a VPS, PM me. We can store 25GB in 1000 files without a problem.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@lukenstine said:

25 GB space? there are a lot of cheap VPS options around which could easily cope with that and give decent performance.

100 hits per day and file on the other hand would result in 2.5 TB per day. not gonna happen with the most cheap VPS for sure.

• @Falzo said:

>

100 hits per day and file on the other hand would result in 2.5 TB per day. not gonna happen with the most cheap VPS for sure.

That's not 100 hits, that's 100 rounds.

• MadMad Member

Most of the providers do not allow such activity for the shared hosting packages especially if it's "unlimited" (not true). Make sure to read their TOS or contact directly them for confirmation to prevent the service suspension/termination.

• It would be better if you're more precise about your stats.

Do ALL your files receive hits daily ? If so, do EACH one of them get around 100 hits daily ?

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I can't speak about GoDaddy as I've never used them. But I used to run a web site that shared audio files - old-time radio stuff that was out of copyright.

I had ~1000 files, some of which were as big as 10-15MB and had a peak of about 100 downloads a day. Dreamhost never said a word. Between this and other things, I had over 100GB of files on $7/mo shared and never heard a complaint.

andreamada said: Most of the providers do not allow such activity for the shared hosting packages especially if it's "unlimited" (not true). Make sure to read their TOS or contact directly them for confirmation to prevent the service suspension/termination.

Not sure I agree - I don't think the OP is violating typical TOS. Where people run afoul is (a) copyright, or (b) way too many visitors as @Falzo illustrates...as you say, unlimited is really not true.

Of course, the best thing for the OP to do would be to contact some providers and ask them in pre-sales tickets ("this is what I'm planning to do, is that ok?")

• othelloRobothelloRob Member, Host Rep

@lukenstine said:
    can i just buy a shared hosting with unlimited bandwidth and storage for like lets say Godaddy and just upload all my video files and stream them?

No.
    a. Unlimited space/transfer simply doesn't exist.
    b. GD have been known to force upgrades to higher priced services with as just over 2GB of data stored (audio files in a wp install)

• look into @time4vps biennial storage plans.

You have 2tb transfer allocation on the 512gb disk plan.

• noamannoaman Member

@lukenstine said:
    what do you guys think?

Go with time4vps and buy a storage vps...muxh better then shared ..

You can run pyduo ...owncloud (1 user)....and it should run without a problem