Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Location?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Location?

Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
edited December 2011 in General

With KVMPort launching in the new year we are stuck for choices on location, so peoples opinions will help us choose the right place, in the end we may end up just riding it out and supplying both locations. For those that dont know KVMPort is going to be our sub-company, providing premium 1Gbit KVM VPS on enterprise hardware with a 100% Uptime SLA and guaranteed resources, so pretty premium stuff.

Due to our relationship with Equinix and using there facilitys for a while now with no issues we have decided that we want to stick with what we know and have arranged two deals with them that will work well for us in my opinion..

So its either our current Equinix facility in Dusseldorf or NYC... Which would you prefer to see?

Comments

• Alright, this is for me personally, I wouldn't touch your NYC KVM's as I need either West Coast USA for Asia/Australia/Pacific connectivity or your Dusseldorf location to service the UK/Europe.

Now keep in mind I may be in the "minority" group, but they're the locations I look for.

• Thank you Joel. Our current DE line sells much better than our US line so i think your theory is correct :D

• @Joel

Any preference on specific west coast locations. Phoenix, LA, San Jose etc

• japonjapon Member
    edited December 2011

No San Jose please. From my experience SJ is quite bad. I have 4 VPS there (with other providers) and they all have networks issues from time to time. Phoenix sounds nice.

• if ever I could get another box, I would have same need as @Joel... And yes, San Jose is not really good, LA much better.

• d'dorf for me too.

• JoelJoel Member
    edited December 2011

@VMPort, i'm very happy with San Jose to Australia. In fact after turfing one of my AU providers to the curb and moving things to San Jose it's actually quicker to push the data over the pacific than it was here between cities ;) There's about an extra 80ms to 100ms on the ping, but other than that the actual bandwidth is much much larger and therefor what I lose in initial ping, I make up for once the page elements start streaming in to the browser.

When looking at locations I tend to look at this map which may not be 100% accurate, but it serves well enough so far for me to decide the best places to lease a VPS from based on the audience i'm servicing.

• Have you looked into OVH as a UK location?

They seem pretty good and they have 1gbps

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

ovh's not too good for vps's hosting they format your server after you get 2 or 3 dmca's, reinstalling a node for one clients action is not worth it.

Please correct me if im wrong.

• OVH Just isnt the premium location we are looking for, it seems to be associated with all the dead pool providers, not what we want.

• OVH is not ideal for VPS. They run custom kernels which interferes with a lot of VPS environments (it can be worked around, but do you really want to every time you bring a node online?) Also they are quite strict on their abuse reports. Their network however is fine.

Also some of the features you might want for a VPS node only come with their expert usage option and fees start to climb heavily as you add options

• OVH was never in our choice list anyway :P

• So hard to find good EU providers for VPS. Many with good networks have some limitation. Many are on IP allocation. Leaseweb for example.

• Thats why we love Equinix (L)

• Keep Equinix and try Singapore then :-P

• Maybe you could try with Equinix Zürich in Switzerland? That would be awesome... :P

• I can look into it.. it just seems silly to market to many EU locations.

• @VMPort said: I can look into it.. it just seems silly to market to many EU locations.

That depends on the purpose. You could also look into Iceland. Definitely a nice place for open speech blogs and media. I guess they're on the way or already did pass that safe harbor press law.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2011

I would go for a European location, for me my choices for US KVM would be Hostigation, BuyVM, BitCable (I'm a bit half-hearted about KiloServe now), but I don't have a definative cheap European KVM provider other than CheapVPS which isn't exactly cheap.

I get nice speeds from your Dusseldorf location to the UK.

• @Infinity

Unfortunatly there not going to be what i would class as cheap. For a start there going to be non-oversold, hosted on E3s with 15K SAS2 disks in RAID10 and 1Gbit connections with a 100% SLA or next bill free.

Where looking at £11.00/month for a 512MB as the smallest config.

A little bit cheaper than CheapVPS but with more resources.

• Definitely NYC for me. Great location for networks.

@VMPort said: Where looking at £11.00/month for a 512MB as the smallest config.

You can go down to 128MB even, just need 256MB for installation of some OS's.

• Yep, but thats not the market we are going after with kvmport. Its going to be aimed at business and mission critical requirements, not lowend :P

Aha, got it ;)

• @VMPort said: Yep, but thats not the market we are going after with kvmport. Its going to be aimed at business and mission critical requirements, not lowend :P

So other than increasing your price, what is it actually that you're going to be doing (specifics) to service the business and mission critical market?

• @VMPort said: Yep, but thats not the market we are going after with kvmport. Its going to be aimed at business and mission critical requirements, not lowend :P

So why ask here?

Also, I'd like some in canada.

• fanfan Veteran

Any plan on Tokyo or Hong Kong? I think Equinix has DC's in the two locations.

• @justinb

Because the people here are VPS pros, lowend or no lowend and your opinion counts. Im not asking you to buy anything am i :P

@Joel
    A lot of things..

• Deployments per node are cut by at least 50%
    • 100% Uptime SLA (If we dont reach it, you dont pay)
    • 4X 15K SAS2 Disks in RAID10 instead of the standard 4X7.5K SATA disks usually used.
    • 100% Non oversold (We dont want to see KVM go the same way as OVZ)
    • Better CPUs
    • Hosted in premium facilitys (Not Hetzner and OVH :P)
    • 1Gbit/s Uplink instead of 100Mbit
    • 32 VPS Max per node

@fan
    Sure i can take a look, we all know what its like for BW over there though :)

• jhjh Member

@VMPort said: hosted on E3s with 15K SAS2 disks in RAID10 and 1Gbit connections with a 100% SLA or next bill free.

That sounds awfully similar to something else I've seen on LEB. Now where did I see that? :P

• lmao i was thinking that myself.. but its been in our business plan since we started planning which was in september, that was before you announced UKCloud i believe :P

whois.domaintools.com/kvmport.com

I like your slogan though, shame we cant use it now haha