Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Virtualization on a Dedicated Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Virtualization on a Dedicated Server

gurugrvgurugrv Member
edited July 2016 in Help

Hello, I recently bought a Hetzner dedicated server just to try thing out with virtualization and to decrease dependability on multiple VPS.
I wish to run multiple KVM VPS on this dedicated server with linux and windows installations.
Is there any (free) way to do this ?
I tried my hands at proxmox but the network setup was too complicated for me. I also got a /29 subnet for the same purpose.
Please help.

Comments

• Proxmox is your best bet into KVM -- what part of the network setup was difficult for you? I might be able to answer your questions.

• Thanks for the response. The routing part was over the top for me. My containers could not access the internet at all.

• MadMad Member

Probably you messed up the configuration. Have you checked the documentation?

The other alternatives are paid ones, SolusVM and Virtualizor.

• @andreamada said:

Checked almost all the documentation, its been three days since I am messing up with different configs. I was even able to create and use NAT'd containers but this routed network thing has gone way over my head.

• edited July 2016

Keep digging.

You need to configure the host node to use a bridged network.
    There's tons of tutorials online about bridged networking.

I don't use front ends for management, so I'm not sure how Proxmox does its thing.

• gurugrvgurugrv Member
    edited July 2016

I am basically struggling with /etc/network/interfaces

My config is

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    iface lo inet6 loopback

# device: eth0
        auto  eth0
        iface eth0 inet static
        address AA.BBB.C.DD #Main IP
        netmask 255.255.255.255
        pointopoint     AA.BBB.C.EE #Gateway
        gateway AA.BBB.C.EE #Gateway

iface eth0 inet6 static
      address 2a01:zzz:yyy:xxxx::2
      netmask 64
      gateway xy80::1
    up sysctl -p

auto vmbr1
    iface vmbr1 inet static
           address   AA.BB.CC.DD #First IP of the subnet
           netmask   255.255.255.248
           bridge_ports none
           bridge_stp off
           bridge_fd 0

• hzrhzr Member

Hetzner has the same bizarre system you'd probably see at OVH, make sure you individually pre-allocate MAC addresses in Robot first

• @hzr said:

As far as I could dig, MAC is required for individual additional IPs, I have a subnet. I might be wrong though.

• timnboystimnboys Member
    edited July 2016

@gurugrv try using a setup tutorial for ovh as I found out ovh/hetzner/oneprovider all have the same network configuration
    like this
    server ip: 1.1.1.1
    gateway ip(server ip ending with .254): 1.1.1.254
    failover ip: 1.1.1.2
    to be honest that is how you have to do it to start with as when I used hetzner you had to do it via that and also nat config where your server was the router for the ip's(as hetzner won't route the ip subnet for you.)

though if you are like me you originally got a dedicated server for the purpose of having all of your vps's on something you control not paying extra to each provider for a vps for everything.

this all has to be done on the host node otherwise it won't work.

• edanedan Member

Try Webvirtmgr, its great.

• FalzoFalzo Member

hetzner has a very good documentation on that special use case here: https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/Proxmox_VE/en

but I guess you already know that, as your shown interfaces file looks much like described there ;-)

and you are right virtual macs are only needed for single IPs in a bridged setup not for a whole subnet and not for a routed setup at all.

How does the network config on your guest VM look like?

if you need further help contact send a PM, I think I am able to help you out ;-)

Thanked by 1mik997