Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

REVIEW: WholeSale Internet - Dual Intel Xeon 5420 Preconfigured - $30/mo
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

REVIEW: WholeSale Internet - Dual Intel Xeon 5420 Preconfigured - $30/mo

shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
edited July 2016 in Reviews

Just thought I'd post a little review, because I just logged into my WSI server as root for the first time in a long time to check SMART data and uptime. 99 Days of uptime! That means there have been 0 power interruptions since having the server.

The (single non-RAIDed) Toshiba DT01ACA200 (a fairly decent rebadged Hitachi drive) only has less than 3500 hours on it (~145 days) so it was almost brand new when I got the server. It's a fast drive, and while I know DD isn't really accurate I got 149MB/s with everything running on the server

I run XenCenter on the server which several different VMs, including a nameserver and backup server, and some other random non-mission-critical stuff.

The only complaint is I have frequent short network outages. Link to my StatusCake: http://i.imgur.com/FC7RCuE.png 99.84% total uptime. Not a big deal for my usage, but I would not run anything from WSI that required near-100% availability like an ecommerce website, PBX, or business email. Also, the network isn't very diverse, as you can see here (my WSI server seems to be on the DataShack ASN, but WSI is the only thing that connects to, so it' clearly the same company and network): http://bgp.he.net/AS33387 that said, pure HE isn't bad - I operated on pure HE myself for quite some time with no problems. I'm not sure if their network blips are within their DC/network or on HE's end but it's probably on WSI's end.

I've had WSI/DS/Nocix services in the past in addition to the server I have now with WSI, and support is always fast and knowledgable. The new automated Reload system works well and definitely saves time for both customers and their support techs.

TLDR; WSI is fantastic for people that need an affordable and reliable server for development, backup, infrastructure, etc. If they could improve the stability and diversity of their network they'd be perfect. So, I vote 9/10 for wholesaleinternet.net overall!

Thanked by 3yomero Junkless sin

Comments

• shovenose said: The new automated Reload system

When did they introduce an automated reload system? Is it for all preconfig servers?

• rpollestadrpollestad Member
    edited July 2016

I have two dedicated servers with WSI and had no major issues with them beyond some power blips 8-9 months back. Unfortunately, something changed network-wise (around May) and suddenly my asterisk servers stopped working for outbound calls. I opened a ticket but they claim nothing changed on their network when something clearly did. Sadly, that made the boxes useless to me but I haven't gotten around to cancelling them yet.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

@taro222 said:

shovenose said: The new automated Reload system

When did they introduce an automated reload system? Is it for all preconfig servers?

Not exactly sure when - less than a year ago I think.

• sinsin Member

taro222 said: Is it for all preconfig servers?

Yeah it's for all their servers...used it with my $10 preconfigs there and it works really well to.

• What's the difference between WSI and Nocix? Actually I found that the AS of my dedi is WSI's and the pricing between WSI and Nocix is almost the same ... except for the ones cheaper than $25/Mo which are available on WSI but not on Nocix.

• CasterCaster Member

@fsgmhoward said:
    What's the difference between WSI and Nocix? Actually I found that the AS of my dedi is WSI's and the pricing between WSI and Nocix is almost the same ... except for the ones cheaper than $25/Mo which are available on WSI but not on Nocix.

Both are in same DC. Nocix is probably reseller of WSI.

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

@Caster said:

@fsgmhoward said:
    What's the difference between WSI and Nocix? Actually I found that the AS of my dedi is WSI's and the pricing between WSI and Nocix is almost the same ... except for the ones cheaper than $25/Mo which are available on WSI but not on Nocix.

Both are in same DC. Nocix is probably reseller of WSI.

Nah DataShack got rebranded to Nocix. DataShack/Nocix and WSI share the same DC but are two separate companies