Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suggestions of OVH Dedicated Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Suggestions of OVH Dedicated Server

GreenVineGreenVine Member
edited March 2013 in General

Hello

I want to purchase OVH Kimsufi 16G Dedicated Server from: http://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/kimsufi.xml

I wonder if you have any experience with them, and do you have a test IP of their North America datacenter?

Regards

Comments

• You must order from www.ovh.com/fr/ unfortunately, they will re-direct you there anyway.

• marcmmarcm Member

Funny thing is that I was just looking through their US lineup and it seems to me like all of their servers have some kind of handicap. It looks like they are not meant at all for providers. Anyway, moving on...

• @cosmicgate said: You must order from www.ovh.com/fr/ unfortunately, they will re-direct you there anyway.

Yeah thanks.

And do you have any experience of their USA datacenter? How about speed?

• I've only got a 2G from the Canada location, but network wise, it's pretty good with 100% availability for the past 5 months or so.

The only complaint is the upload speeds vary between 2MB to 9MB on a single connection. Multithreaded downloads always cap out at 100Mbps though.

• Yeah the most important point I care is how is their network.

So any guys ever tried their USA DC can share me some experiences?

• hyaohyao Member

AFAIK, OVH doesn't have a USA DC yet, but it does have a DC in Canada.

• @GreenVine said: So any guys ever tried their USA DC can share me some experiences?

They've only got a Canada datacenter I think. You can sort of use this as a speedtest.

https://pcc-198-27-72-39.ovh.ca/client/VMware-viclient.exe

• GreenVineGreenVine Member
    edited March 2013

@hyao said: AFAIK, OVH doesn't have a USA DC yet, but it does have a DC in Canada.

https://www.ovh.co.uk/order/kimsufi.cgi?hard=132sk5

They said:

Select your datacentre:
    Northern FRANCE (RBX)
    Eastern NORTH AMERICA (BHS)

• herbyscrubherbyscrub Member
    edited March 2013

North America is not only USA.

• casper253casper253 Member
    edited March 2013

North America bhS is in Canada

• @herbyscrub said: North America is not USA.

lol, my broswer automatic translator mistaken me that is USA until I viewed the original website...

So 198.27.72.39 is a test IP for Canada DC right?

Regards

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

OVH is horrible, their support is retarded, their policies suck, and they don't care about you or your data. They use poor quality consumer-grade disks, and the network is oversold. Wholesale Internet, DataShack, and CaliHop (check out their deal on WebHostingTalk) are all better choices.

• @shovenose said: OVH is horrible, their support is retarded, their policies suck, and they don't care about you or your data. They use poor quality consumer-grade disks, and the network is oversold. Wholesale Internet, DataShack, and CaliHop (check out their deal on WebHostingTalk) are all better choices.

Do you have any other recommendation for USA datacenter?

Regards

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Well I listed three recommendation. But I can always come up with more. What are you looking for?

• @shovenose said: Well I listed three recommendation. But I can always come up with more. What are you looking for?

I am looking for USA RAM dedicated server lower than $70.
    RAM should be 8GB+.

• @GreenVine said: I am looking for USA RAM dedicated server lower than $70.

RAM should be 8GB+.

https://billing.dacentec.com/hostbill/index.php?/cart/

• @adarshv said: @GreenVine said: I am looking for USA RAM dedicated server lower than $70.

RAM should be 8GB+.

Do you know their Test IP and Support Quality?

• @GreenVine said: Do you know their Test IP and Support Quality?

Their Network is good.
    Don't know much about support.

May Be @SpeedBus have better deal for you.

• lumaluma Member

@shovenose said: Well I listed three recommendation. But I can always come up with more. What are you looking for?

GreenVine, Don't listen to this fool.

Just click his name and look at his thread history to see why. He does not know what he is doing and relies on LET for tech support.

BHS DC in Canada has a good network and good infrastructure. Support can only help with physical problems though and will not help you manage your server. OVH is 100% SELF managed. You can do anything from the control panel though but if you need hand holding (how to install ssh for example) ovh is not for you.

• picypicy Member

Give a try to server4you.com they have good price.

• strexstrex Member

The USA network from server4you.com is really bad.
    Look at their AS http://bgp.he.net/AS30083

• ztecztec Member

server4you is the worst company you will ever meet in your life.

• jevermeisterjevermeister Member
    edited March 2013

they haven't received many good reviews too in germany.

• @strex I think they should add some more Cogent there

• @luma said: GreenVine, Don't listen to this fool.

lol! good laugh, thanks.

OVH has a decent network, I don't think I've ever experienced downtime from that. On the other hand, I've read nightmare horror stories about their support with regard to replacing hardware. One of these days, I'll let you know about it when my HDD dies too.

• OllieOllie Member

OVH are okay. They have a nice network and everything but if you have a low end server they seem to assume you're not a business customer and sometimes don't allow you certain things (I had problems with virtualization).

• i am supposed to be business customer and their support is horrible especially in France but unfortunately their pricing is difficult to resist.

• Any Rent to Own provider?

• We correctly have nodes for vps in OVH DC in Canada thernetwork and servers are good for the price you pay dont expect more

THey have planty of toys in the panel control like format the server with click (remmber crapy OVH templates)

If you know how to use VNC format i recommand to format the server with VNC and install clean OS.

• @jkr1711 said: @strex I think they should add some more Cogent there

Why don't they add Hurricane? At least it won't be single homed anymore.