Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shared Community Server for Low Cost VPS for Everyone! Now there is an idea!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Shared Community Server for Low Cost VPS for Everyone! Now there is an idea!

marcmmarcm Member
edited March 2013 in General

I am checking this forum out almost every day, so I stumble on the occasional request for a custom VPS plan. The general idea is that everyone has high expectations and wants as many resources as possible for very little money, nearly instantaneous response time to tickets and of course %99.99 up-time (again, for very little money). And God forbid one of us providers are using prorated billing or the math is off by one cent after entering a promo code due to rounding because we will never hear the end of it. Never mind if we're actually working on stopping a DDoS attack against your VPS, because instead of gratitude we get yelled at followed by a swift forum post and public humiliation. Yes, providing good service is hard work, and all providers here that have been around for a while know this.

So I had this brilliant idea for those of you with special needs: with hardware prices on the decline why not get your own server and share it? A few community members can talk to each other, agree on the hardware, virtualization technology and management software (e.g. SolusVM), divide the server into an equal number of VPS servers and share them amongst each other along with all the expenses. I am sure that 10, 20 or even 30 to 40 members of this community could accomplish this.

It's just an idea, and I am curious what you guys think about it. Personally I think it has merit and that some of you here should look into this possibility.

Update

This is an example that I came up with, and I didn't want it to get lost amongst the comments:
A Xeon E3 server with 32GB server with 4 x 256GB SSD drives, LSI + BBU controller, a /29 and /26 subnet is about $300 per month. This requires only 42 members for it to pay for itself and of course stay at $7 or less per member. Of course, in order for each member to get at least 1GB of RAM (real or not) it will require that members oversell resources ... to themselves. I hope that they won't get angry at each other.

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

The needy complainers that you speak of should be the ones dividing the system's resources and monitoring it to make sure everyone gets their fair share. Then...

Popcorn.

• krokro Member

This would be hard to manage, how would you enforce fair share of resources etc ?
    Who will be policeman? or govner?

• I think this idea has been brought up multiple times. Last time I remember was the Versaweb special.

Never went anywhere.

• NickMNickM Member

This has been suggested multiple times before, and the consensus has usually been "What if someone stops paying their part?" and stuff like that.

@kro said: This would be hard to manage, how would you enforce fair share of resources etc ? Who will be policeman? or govner?

Exactly. Then they'll learn the extent of the things they expect ;)

• marcmmarcm Member
    edited March 2013

@NickM said: This has been suggested multiple times before, and the consensus has usually been "What if someone stops paying their part?" and stuff like that.

@NickM - The remaining members can pick up the tab and divide the unpaid amount amongst each other, and of course, they can cannibalize the VPS of the non paying member and divide the resources amongst themselves. I really think that this could work. :-)

• This has been suggested before. Will not work in my opinion

• Who cares for those people who complaints about anything all the time anyway?

• marcmmarcm Member

A Xeon E3 server with 32GB server with 4 x 256GB SSD drives, LSI + BBU controller, a /29 and /26 subnet is about $300 per month. This requires only 42 members for it to pay for itself and of course stay at $7 or less per member. Of course, in order for each member to get at least 1GB of RAM (real or not) it will require that members oversell resources ... to themselves. I hope that they won't get angry at each other.

• 42!

=/ damn. Too much people imho.

• Not trivial to organize 42 people. That would be a hell.

@yomero said: Too much people imho.

• marcmmarcm Member

@jcaleb said: Not trivial to organize 42 people. That would be a hell.

@jcaleb - Nonsense, they could vote and choose an Administrator and a Vice Administrator amongst them. They could elect them every 3 months or so. I mean it could work.

I honestly would like for some of the people here to go trough this experience, it is very invigorating and they could learn allot!

• ServerFanatasyOnline.com

• @marcm said: Nonsense, they could vote and choose an Administrator and a Vice Administrator amongst them. They could elect them every 3 months or so. I mean it could work.

Get on it. I vote you. Please set this up, by tomorrow.

• marcmmarcm Member

@herbyscrub - You will have to come up with the money first, or find enough people here to share the expense with.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

This has gotten discussed many times. It's a stupid idea.

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited March 2013

@marcm said: @jcaleb - Nonsense, they could vote and choose an Administrator and a Vice Administrator amongst them. They could elect them every 3 months or so. I mean it could work.

I would rather pay extra $$$ than go trough this. It's not worth it in my opinion. I still dont believe you can organize 42 people easily. Not even single digit number of people.

@jcaleb said: I would rather pay extra $$$ than go trough this.

Put a few people through it that wouldn't and we get a few more people like you running around, spreading awesomeness ;)

• @marcm said: I mean it could work.

See... you even have some doubts.... "it could work"

• marcmmarcm Member
    edited March 2013

@jcaleb said: See... you even have some doubts.... "it could work"

@jcaleb - Fine, it will work! :P

• marcmmarcm Member

@jarland said: Put a few people through it that wouldn't and we get a few more people like you running around, spreading awesomeness ;)

@jarland - Can you imagine the people involved bitching and gossiping about each other on LET?

@marcm said: Can you imagine the people involved bitching and gossiping about each other on LET?

Not only can I imagine, but I've been waiting for it to happen and I've purchased a projector, a recliner, popcorn, and I'm ready to see the show.

• This is difficult even for people that know each other in person. Let alone people who don't know each other who are all paranoid about their data, security and whatnot.

• No, unless it's between reputable members who know and trust each other perfectly. But most who fits in that criteria are providers already.

But try purchasing annual server. It would work, at least for 1 year.

• marcmmarcm Member
    edited March 2013

@jarland said: Not only can I imagine, but I've been waiting for it to happen and I've purchased a projector, a recliner, popcorn, and I'm ready to see the show.

@jarland - Some people like @darknessends. amongst others, really deserve to go through the experience. I wonder what the others will do when the DMCA notices come in, vote him off the island?

@jcaleb said: This is difficult even for people that know each other in person. Let alone people who don't know each other who are all paranoid about their data, security and whatnot.

@jcaleb - Look at it like an adventure that is shared amongst friends. I see people coming here all the time bitching about this or that or asking for hand outs. Maybe they should experience on their own how it is to provide for themselves, at least hosting if nothing else.

@DalComp said: But try purchasing annual server. It would work, at least for 1 year.

@DalComp - That's an awesome idea as people would have to stick together.

• Lets just see. Who will start this?

• hyaohyao Member

As this is more like an experiment, IMHO, it's better to start with a server with a lower cost; and round up maybe 10~20 people to share and contribute could be easier

• Kimsufi share with 4 people

• First question, who will sign with DC and be responsible with payments