Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

128MB RAM VPS, which web based website hosting control panel?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

128MB RAM VPS, which web based website hosting control panel?

postcdpostcd Member
edited July 2016 in Help

Hello,

for a 128MB RAM VPS im looking for web based control panel which newbie can use to host a website (PHP 5.4 and MySQL needed).

There is one tutorial, but it does not include web based control panel: http://www.gnutomorrow.com/configure-ultra-low-budget-5yr-128mb-vps-web-server/

Thank You

Comments

• GCatGCat Member

Okay so a few issues here:

1. 128MB RAM VPS that you want a web based control panel on

2. PHP 5.4, MySQL on a 128MB RAM VPS

Those two don't go together, because the control panel's going to suck a lot of resources, leaving you with practically none remaining, as the system will suck a lot also.

• @GCat so it's basically a suck suck situation?

Thanked by 2Damian emre22
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited July 2016

Webmin/Virtualmin will work fine in a 128MB box, if you disable clamd/spamassassign. You could do some tweaks to Apache, Mysql and php configuration but do not expect a great performance on busy cms installations, especially a wordpress site. On the other hand, WP will work for one or even more than one low traffic websites.
    Besides that, there is ISPconfig that you install on your own all the server elements and then, when you finish configuration (choosing not to install heavy tasks like virus scan and select special configs in critical elements like php and sql) you just install the panel on top if them. But it is heavier than Webmin/Virtualmin.

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

i have been working with kloxo (original version) with a few tweaks, successfully on 128mb vps...

but you really need to tweak a lot...

• DamianDamian Member

agentmishra said: i have been working with kloxo (original version)

The one that hasn't been updated in many years and is known to have many available exploits, nearly guaranteeing it will be broken into and used to attack other computers on the internet and generally cause severe headaches for your host?

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Eh, Webmin would probably be a good choice with those resources, if you need simple management interface and don't care about cPanel-like styling.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

Try EHCP. But you need to optimize config of a lot of software. But VPS are so cheap now, easy to bump to a 512MB plan so you don't need to squeeze your brain optimizing

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

MikeA said: if you need simple management interface and don't care about cPanel-like styling

First of all, Webmin/Virtualmin is anything else but a simple management interface... In fact, it is the best panel in configurable options and, that's why it is probably not for everyone...
    On the other hand, it's new default interface (authentic theme, actually it's not new but it is now default) is IMO easy for basic tasks and comparable with CPanel and other propriety panels.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@jvnadr said:

MikeA said: if you need simple management interface and don't care about cPanel-like styling

First of all, Webmin/Virtualmin is anything else but a simple management interface... In fact, it is the best panel in configurable options and, that's why it is probably not for everyone...
    On the other hand, it's new default interface (authentic theme, actually it's not new but it is now default) is IMO easy for basic tasks and comparable with CPanel and other propriety panels.

I consider it simple. When I said "simple", I didn't mean "this panel sucks". Use your noggin.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

agentmishra said: i have been working with kloxo (original version)

Please. Don't. It is full of holes and extremely aged. If you want to use something like kloxo, please use the fork of Mustapha (Kloxo-MR). It is an almost completely reworked version of Kloxo

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited July 2016

MikeA said: I consider it simple. When I said "simple", I didn't mean "this panel sucks". Use your noggin.

Simple means simple. And Webmin/Virtualmin is not simple. CPanel is simple. Webmin has tons of configurations. For a newbie, this panel maybe will not suit his needs because even if most of it parts will work in the default installation, in most of the cases will need some fine tuning and config that needs linux knowledge. Maybe you consider it simple, it is also simple for me, but I spent tons of hours on it in several installations...

P.S. I "use my noggin", trying not to insult random people in a random forum...

Thanked by 1postcd
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member

jcaleb said: Try EHCP. But you need to optimize config of a lot of software.

I used it for a couple of vps 2-3 years ago and I didn't have a good experience with it. It can break without a reason, it had bugs (log rotation didn't work many of times leading to a gigantic archive, dns couldn't get working sometimes for mysterious reasons etc.). I really did want to give this panel a chance (and two), but in the end I abandoned it...

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • jcalebjcaleb Member

@jvnadr said:

jcaleb said: Try EHCP. But you need to optimize config of a lot of software.

I used it for a couple of vps 2-3 years ago and I didn't have a good experience with it. It can break without a reason, it had bugs (log rotation didn't work many of times leading to a gigantic archive, dns couldn't get working sometimes for mysterious reasons etc.). I really did want to give this panel a chance (and two), but in the end I abandoned it...

Thanks, nothing beats knowledge based on experience.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

jcaleb said: Thanks, nothing beats knowledge based on experience.

Well, maybe it was me and lacking of knowledge, but panels like this are mostly existing to make your life easier and not trying to find out what is wrong and why things are not working...

Thanked by 1postcd
  • jcalebjcaleb Member

@jvnadr said:

jcaleb said: Thanks, nothing beats knowledge based on experience.

Well, maybe it was me and lacking of knowledge, but panels like this are mostly existing to make your life easier and not trying to find out what is wrong and why things are not working...

Yes. But for now, I will cross out EHCP in the future :)

For me, it is easier to do things command line, there are many cool tools/scripts around to help. Panel are ok if you will have non technical users to host sites. But if you do have other users, why bother with 128mb?

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • nepsneps Member

jvnadr said: Simple means simple. And Webmin/Virtualmin is not simple.

Agreed. Webmin is not as intuitive as it might seem to more seasoned users. i remember firing it up many, many moons ago, when I was first starting to learn how to manage my own hosting. I played around with it for a bit then ditched it for something else.

It is powerful, but it is not simple. Especially not so for the type of user whose skill level "needs" a control panel and is willing to sacrifice resources on a 128MB box to use one.

• ElnarRElnarR Member

Webmin or Virtualmin with disabled clamav/spamassassin will be the best solution. Just don't run many additional modules and everything will work fast enough and correctly.

Thanked by 1postcd
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

postcd said: web based control panel

VPSSIM is not web-based but is a control panel that may be well-suited for LEBs. I have not personally used it but we've talked about it here before.

https://vpssim.com

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/83340/has-anyone-using-vpssim-a-bash-script-auto-setup-nginx-php-fpm-mariadb-and-manage-vps-here