Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tutorial: Shell pimping with screenfetch
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Tutorial: Shell pimping with screenfetch

RaymiiRaymii Member
edited March 2013 in General

This tutorial will show you how to install screenfetch, a bash information tool. It displays handy system information at login, including distro name, kernel, uptime, cpu, ram and nice distro-based artwork. The tutorial includes support for bash and zsh, for every supported linux OS (ubuntu, centos, arch, redhat, solusOS, linux mint and more.)

What is screenfetch?

screenFetch is a "Bash Screenshot Information Tool". This handy Bash script can be used to generate one of those nifty terminal theme information + ASCII distribution logos you see in everyone's screenshots nowadays. It will auto-detect your distribution and display an ASCII version of that distribution's logo and some valuable information to the right. There are options to specify no ascii art, colors, taking a screenshot upon displaying info, and even customizing the screenshot command! This script is very easy to add to and can easily be extended.

How does it look?

Here are two images from my VPS servers, for root, a normal user, both in zsh and bash. (Using the solarized-dark theme with oh-my-zsh and the candy theme).

Ubuntu

Debian

And an official screenshot with all the possible themes.

Download

https://github.com/KittyKatt/screenFetch

Installation

Make sure git is installed!

Clone the repo:

cd /tmp
git clone git://github.com/KittyKatt/screenFetch.git screenfetch

Install the script:

sudo cp screenfetch/screenfetch-dev /usr/bin/screenfetch
sudo chmod 755 /usr/bin/screenfetch

Test it:

screenfetch

If it works, add it to your shell:

Edit either ~/.bashrc or ~/.zshrc, depends on which shell you use and add the following at the bottom:

if [ -f /usr/bin/screenfetch ]; then screenfetch; fi

Now logout and log back in, you will have a beautiful welcoming information prompt!

Source

Screenfetch is over at Github

This tutorial can also be found over at Raymii.org

Comments

• flyfly Member

solarized?

• YKMYKM Member

BSD ?

• Thanks, I saw this earlier..

This is how it looks when I log in to my server:

• @xbytez Looks nice! How do you do the Authenticating with xxx pubkey?

@fly Yes, the solarized dark colour scheme: http://ethanschoonover.com/solarized

• @Raymii said: Looks nice! How do you do the Authenticating with xxx pubkey?

That line is displayed when using key authentication in PuTTY.

• xBytezxBytez Member
    edited March 2013

@Raymii said: @xbytez Looks nice! How do you do the Authenticating with xxx pubkey?

I use ssh keys to authenciate with my servers instead of using passwords. PuTTy puts that line there if I am successfully authenticated via my key.

• @xBytez

How do you show the status of your web, ssh and mysql?

• xBytezxBytez Member
    edited March 2013

@taronyu I wrote a script for it and I put sh /etc/motd.sh in /etc/profile so it executes everytime I login.

And the Hello xBytez, good to see you. Enjoy your visit! is check via IP, if let's say @TommehM would login to my server it would say: Hello Tom, good to you see you etc.

• @xBytez said: @taronyu I wrote a script for it and I put sh /etc/motd.sh in /etc/profile so it executes everytime I login.

And the Hello xBytez, good to see you. Enjoy your visit! is check via IP, if let's say @TommehM would login to my server it would say: Hello Tom, good to you see you etc.

Care to share the script?

• @Raymii Which one?

• @taronyu said: How do you show the status of your web, ssh and mysql?

@xBytez said: I wrote a script for it and I put sh /etc/motd.sh in /etc/profile so it executes everytime I login.

@Raymii said: Care to share the script?

@xBytez I assume it refers to that line of discussion; the status of the services. I know I would like that script too if you were willing to share.