Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For donation - Quadix's Intel G530, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, 1Gbps, 3 IPv4, $9.50/m
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

For donation - Quadix's Intel G530, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, 1Gbps, 3 IPv4, $9.50/m

DamianDamian Member
edited July 2016 in General

Billing details:

MRC: $9.50 USD
Due Date: 07/28/2016

Specs:
CPU: Intel G530 Dual Core
Memory: 4 GB DDR3 Memory
Primary Hard Drive: 500 GB 7200 RPM Enterprise SATA Hard Drive
IP Addresses: 3 IP Addresses (default) IPv4 (split into two ranges) (yes, that's annoying)
Network: 1 Gbps Port - 30 TB Transfer (included)

I've had such a poor experience with this that I'm not even going to bother asking for money on it. Currently needs an OS reinstall after never coming back from a Virtualizor installation; I believe OS reinstalls are $7 or $9 or something like that. They're not free.

Since I won't be using this company again, the "transfer" will be me updating the WHMCS profile to your own details. Will need name, email address, actual physical address.

Post your interest here. Don't PM me, I'll PM you. If you PM me first, I will assume you are too stupid to follow basic instruction and will not be able to successfully complete this transfer.

Thanked by 1doughmanes

Comments

• ehabehab Member

can you please tell what poor experience you had?

• Typical stuff - Syncthing relay.

Pretty sure it would be a good way to burn up some bandwidth on the server - that being said I don't need the entire server to myself, though there are stuff that has to be done as root.

• MridulMridul Member

Im interested in this. btw can u elaborate over the issue u faced ?

• rickey318rickey318 Member, Host Rep

PM me.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited July 2016

ehab said: can you please tell what poor experience you had?

-WHMCS doesn't have SSL. It's not that it's broken, it's never been set up. At all. Trying to go to https for any of their URLs returns not found. Pointing this out on their offer page was ignored. Is it laziness or is it ignorance? Shit, I don't know. Buy a $7 SSL cert and at least make me feel you have some semblance of what you're doing. Hell, do Lets Encrypt. Do anything at all.

-Deployment late by a day. Asked about it in ticket, got a response from "Operations Manager". My parents were hippies too and named me Damian, but being given Operations for a first name takes the cake.

-When deployed, couldn't log in. Two IPs (I thought there were supposed to be 3?) were assigned, x.x.x.124 and .125. Turns out I couldn't log in because I was trying to SSH to .124 and it's some other server. .125 worked fine. Three business days for deployment and didn't even test it? Allllllright.

-When I opened a ticket about the .124/.125 situation, I immediately received a response (3 minutes later) that they're "Checking this now for you.". I responded a minute later to specify the situation, since it was obvious that another server was using .124 because the SSH fingerprints were different. Didn't receive a response til the next day. I'm completely fine with not receiving 24/7 support on this, but inform people about things that affect them. Don't tell me "Checking this now for you." and then... not be checking this for me now. Tell me someone's going to have to look at it later, or it's not 24/7 support on this product, or anything at all. This frees me to work on other things instead of expecting a somewhat quick resolution because you're "Checking this now for you.".

The server itself was fine. Was rather snappy, and had good SMART data when I checked (didn't save it). If you're willing to pay the OS reinstall fee and can endure helter-skelter management, you'll be a good fit.

• ehabehab Member

thanks damian , i'd skip this or any that i can't freely reinstall. I guess the new owner is someone who knows exactly what he'll use it for.

• Lack of control panel is a huge issue.. Would not bother with this host.

• @JoeMerit said:
    Lack of control panel is a huge issue.. Would not bother with this host.

Me either that is why I put quadix on my blacklist of never to buy from again after my horrible experience with them.

• DamianDamian Member

Done been passed over to @rickey318.

Mods: thread can be closed. Or left open for all of the "me too" responses, whatevs.

Thanked by 2rickey318 GCat
  • @Damian said:

ehab said: can you please tell what poor experience you had?

-WHMCS doesn't have SSL. It's not that it's broken, it's never been set up. At all. Trying to go to https for any of their URLs returns not found. Pointing this out on their offer page was ignored. Is it laziness or is it ignorance? Shit, I don't know. Buy a $7 SSL cert and at least make me feel you have some semblance of what you're doing. Hell, do Lets Encrypt. Do anything at all.

-Deployment late by a day. Asked about it in ticket, got a response from "Operations Manager". My parents were hippies too and named me Damian, but being given Operations for a first name takes the cake.

-When deployed, couldn't log in. Two IPs (I thought there were supposed to be 3?) were assigned, x.x.x.124 and .125. Turns out I couldn't log in because I was trying to SSH to .124 and it's some other server. .125 worked fine. Three business days for deployment and didn't even test it? Allllllright.

-When I opened a ticket about the .124/.125 situation, I immediately received a response (3 minutes later) that they're "Checking this now for you.". I responded a minute later to specify the situation, since it was obvious that another server was using .124 because the SSH fingerprints were different. Didn't receive a response til the next day. I'm completely fine with not receiving 24/7 support on this, but inform people about things that affect them. Don't tell me "Checking this now for you." and then... not be checking this for me now. Tell me someone's going to have to look at it later, or it's not 24/7 support on this product, or anything at all. This frees me to work on other things instead of expecting a somewhat quick resolution because you're "Checking this now for you.".

The server itself was fine. Was rather snappy, and had good SMART data when I checked (didn't save it). If you're willing to pay the OS reinstall fee and can endure helter-skelter management, you'll be a good fit.

I'm going to be honest here, they've improved a lot over the past months, yes QuadIX still has a lot of improvements to make but they are going in the right direction.

Not a second of downtime for well over 3 months, i've honestly never had the issues you experienced with IP's as such and they've deployed over 20 servers for me - deployment delays, on their 'normal' servers listed on their site deployments have been within 24 hours, now on these $10 servers obviously less priority is given to them but I do understand you :)

Ticket delays, those happen when a ticket needs to be escalated to their Operations Manager Dominick (and yes I agree with you, not sure why its showing only operations manager nowadays when Dominick responds to tickets), and yeah the staff should have informed you that he's escalating the ticket to someone else rather than leave you waiting - i've experienced the same thing and its not nice.

About SSL, I have mixed feelings on that - at the end of the day payments are done through PayPal so why the need for SSL? :)

• NorrisNorris Member

Docker is solution

• zafouhar said: About SSL, I have mixed feelings on that - at the end of the day payments are done through PayPal so why the need for SSL? :)

So personal details like email, street address and phone number won't be sniffed?

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited July 2016

Unfortunately you guys want to pretend that 'QuadIX' is actually supposed to be better than what 'VolumeDrive' was. Fact of the matter is, its the same sloppy operation. Anyone that worked with VolumeDrive in the past knows that all of the things mentioned are unfortunately 'Normal' for them. They are an operation which runs on a shoe-string budget though, so remember, you get what you pay for. Pay $10 for a server with 30TB @ 1Gbit and you should expect huge waits for any type of support and under paid network admins to make dumb mistakes. Would also explain their failure to use any type of SSL, this would mean employing someone to actually do work and paying them...

Anyways, a long time ago I just told my self 'Accept VolumeDrive/QuadIX for what it is and just remember not to EVER run anything production on their network unless you have a CONTRACT with them which includes an SLA which makes them accountable for their actions'. If you follow this pearl of wisdom, you will be much happier when dealing with them.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanked by 1sambling
  • edanedan Member

The reinstall OS is not free indeed. When I have those server it run nicely (all work as expected), their support also fair (for $10 box).

• @TheLinuxBug said:
    Unfortunately you guys want to pretend that 'QuadIX' is actually supposed to be better than what 'VolumeDrive' was. Fact of the matter is, its the same sloppy operation. Anyone that worked with VolumeDrive in the past knows that all of the things mentioned are unfortunately 'Normal' for them. They are an operation which runs on a shoe-string budget though, so remember, you get what you pay for. Pay $10 for a server with 30TB @ 1Gbit and you should expect huge waits for any type of support and under paid network admins to make dumb mistakes. Would also explain their failure to use any type of SSL, this would mean employing someone to actually do work and paying them...

Anyways, a long time ago I just told my self 'Accept VolumeDrive/QuadIX for what it is and just remember not to EVER run anything production on their network unless you have a CONTRACT with them which includes an SLA which makes them accountable for their actions'. If you follow this pearl of wisdom, you will be much happier when dealing with them.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

I thought that this was already common knowledge (that they shouldn't be used for anything production)?

• samblingsambling Member
    edited July 2016

IThinkUFailed said: I thought that this was already common knowledge (that they shouldn't be used for anything production)?

>

Except they don't advertise as such (which is my gripe with them).

They certainly did not have 24/7 support when I used them. There were definite periods where the support staff had gone home for the night/ gone to sleep (if they aren't onsite).

But they can be great depending on what you're using them for. A $10/mo dedi- that's amazing.