Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WiredTree Replacement - Fully Managed KVM/Dedi - cPanel/WHM/CloudLinux/Softaculous/4IP/SSD
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WiredTree Replacement - Fully Managed KVM/Dedi - cPanel/WHM/CloudLinux/Softaculous/4IP/SSD

shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
edited July 2016 in Requests

I need fully managed server for shared hosting cPanel/WHM. Problem is WiredTree uses Virtuozzo which is just glorified OpenVZ and that can't run CloudLinux. I've just been using it without CloudLinux for some time, but the problem with WiredTree is the server just feels slow, I frequently have problems with database errors, and their support is unable to find the problem. It should not take 15 seconds to log into WHM when it takes 5 seconds on a smaller, cheaper RamNode VPS!

Please don't PM me offers - if you PM me, I will refuse to purchase from you. I want to hear recommendations and offers in this thread. I am hoping for 4-8GB RAM, multiple Xeon cores, and pure SSD RAID or SSD-cached RAID. Would prefer west coast (San Fran, Seattle, LA, whatever) though if the price is right something not-west-coast might be acceptable. I do not have a fixed budget - but will pay depending on specs, etc.

I'm halfway considering just using DigitalOcean as they have great performance, but I'm a little leery of how "temporary" everything is and if CloudLinux will even work on there, and then I'd have to manage it myself, or find a third-party management service.

Initial setup, optimization, and migration service expected. I don't have time to deal with this crap. Thank you for any offers.

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2016

OpenVZ is easier and faster for a provider to manage compared to KVM, so I doubt you'll find a comparable provider to WiredTree (in regards to their support/configurations.) TMZVps is one provider that I know of right off that has managed KVM VPS, but I'm not sure what level of management they provide. Veerotech is another that does it that's on Google, but I've never seen them anywhere myself.

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2016

LiquidWeb, they have an AZ location

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2016

@MikeA said:
    OpenVZ is easier and faster for a provider to manage compared to KVM, so I doubt you'll find a comparable provider to WiredTree (in regards to their support/configurations.) TMZVps is one provider that I know of right off that has managed KVM VPS, but I'm not sure what level of management they provide. Veerotech is another that does it that's on Google, but I've never seen them anywhere myself.

TMZ has many bad reviews on WHT. I don't trust them! As for Veerotech, I've never heard of them :'(

• @shovenose said:
    I'm a little leery of how "temporary" everything is

Huh? Are you saying this merely because you can create/destroy droplets anytime you want?

if CloudLinux will even work on there

Why wouldn't it?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited July 2016

CloudLinux won't work on DO. Seriously though, stop using CL. It's terrible. Decent admin > CloudLinux.

Also, why need management? Managing cPanel is easy.

Thanked by 1angrysnarl

@jarland said:
    CloudLinux won't work on DO. Seriously though, stop using CL. It's terrible. Decent admin > CloudLinux.

Also, why need management? Managing cPanel is easy.

Right, I need CloudLinux... which is really the only reason I can't use DO if that's the case that it won't run on there. And I would hope to have a feature where I can prevent deletion of my DO VPS without emailing support just for additional safety when I start playing around with the API.

I'm about to sign up with Liquidweb - it's what I was looking for.

Thanked by 1Hassan
    edited July 2016

@shovenose said:
    Right, I need CloudLinux... which is really the only reason I can't use DO if that's the case that it won't run on there. And I would hope to have a feature where I can prevent deletion of my DO VPS without emailing support just for additional safety when I start playing around with the API.

Huh? Your VPS only gets deleted if you ignore a ton of emails and don't pay. Like any other hosting service, abandoned accounts eventually get terminated. Not sure what API has to do with anything unless you're executing an API command to terminate your VPS...don't do that ;)

Seriously though, CloudLinux is a crutch that ruins basic performance for a false sense of "easy." Whoever decided it was necessary for shared hosting grossly miscalculated. Just ask @ryanarp how much more trouble shared has been with it than it was without it.

Even HostGator's internally developed safeguards are better than CL.

Also, +1 for liquidweb. If you want a managed dedi, they're amazing.

@jarland I meant I don't want to accidentally send delete via API for the server. I am 100% set on CloudLInux since clients require it and it makes me feel safer for those clients that I'm not so sure about... would rather that some random yearly special not cause any problems for my local hosting client's wordpress sites, if you know what I mean!

@shovenose said:
    @jarland I meant I don't want to accidentally send delete via API for the server. I am 100% set on CloudLInux since clients require it and it makes me feel safer for those clients that I'm not so sure about... would rather that some random yearly special not cause any problems for my local hosting client's wordpress sites, if you know what I mean!

Well you made a good choice with LW. They're really damn good at what they do.

I'm going to refrain from a facepalm on that first sentence though :P

Alright, ordered LiquidWeb, thanks all!

Thanked by 1MikeA

@jarland said:

@shovenose said:

Well you made a good choice with LW. They're really damn good at what they do.

I'm going to refrain from a facepalm on that first sentence though :P

I guess my concern is not really valid :P I was afraid of accidentally deleting my server.

edited July 2016

@shovenose said:
    I guess my concern is not really valid :P I was afraid of accidentally deleting my server.

I mean, I don't think you really want me to respond to the suggestion that you manually generated an API key, read our documentation, and "accidentally" completed a full API command to delete a server, by ID. I wouldn't really be bragging about that if I were you. It's an incredible accomplishment for someone who sells hosting services and wants people to trust them with their data...

I like you enough that I'd rather not dig into that here, and rather let it slide with a semi-friendly facepalm ;)

• edited July 2016

@jarland said:

@shovenose said:

I mean, I don't think you really want me to respond to the suggestion that you manually generated an API key, read our documentation, and "accidentally" completed a full API command to delete a server, by ID. I wouldn't really be bragging about that if I were you. It's an incredible accomplishment for someone who sales hosting services and wants people to trust them with their data...

You never knew what people could do when they're high.

• BradBrad Member

Are you really selling hosting to clients? It would really be worrying if my provider was so worried about "accidentally" deleting an entire server..with my data on it.

Thanked by 1Crogic
  • A few days ago, it was impossible to delete droplets thanks to a web interface glitch that prevented all management functions :p

Good call on LiquidWeb :)

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited July 2016

@shovenose I could probably help you with this, however, I do not have an offer that I would place here on LET. If you are seriously interested in a fully managed solution and are not afraid to spend an realistic amount of money, the group I work with would likely be a good fit for you. We generally build/manage services like you are requesting as well as build large full HA fail-over clusters for enterprise class customers. We reply to all tickets usually with-in 15 minutes 24/7 whether managed or not, we observe 6 days a year as 'On-Call' holidays but still employ emergency support staff so we truly have 24/7/365 coverage for all issues. We use OnApp with KVM, however, we offer full HA and dedicated resources, so you will have to be willing to accept the price increase that goes along with this type of service, it will not fall into a 'LowEnd' budget.

We have 4 US DCs that are available publicly located in Ashburn, VA, Dallas, TX, Seattle, WA and Santa Clara, CA. For all but Santa Clara we have 2x10Gbit to Internap plus fail-over to DC blend if absolutely needed. Santa Clara is a mix of He.net/Zayo/XO (all 10Gbit uplinks). We provide a serious SLA: 99.999% uptime guarantee with all our products.

We managed internally a fleet of shared servers running the setup you are requesting already for some of our legacy customers/brands, so managing Cloudlinux, cPanel, WHM, etc is something we do all the time.

If you are interested just drop me a message and I would be happy to provide E-mail/Live Chat where we can discuss more.

Cheers!

Thanked by 1Crogic
  • MSPNickMSPNick Member
    edited July 2016

It's a KVM, based wherever you want it; I've got plenty of locations to put you on..
    All managed services come with a premium mailing option where you route through a different server to send your mail so you never have to worry about IP's that are blacklisted, etc.

CPU:Cores: 4 x 2.13GHz

HDD:Disk Space: 200GB

RAM: 6GB RAM

Bandwidth: 10TB

IPs:IPv4: 4

FREE cPanel

Free WHMCS

Fully managed

If you want me to add cloudlinux, that's cool but this is completely customisable to fit your entire needs...

• AmitzAmitz Member

Thread reading skills: 0/10.

Thanked by 2angrysnarl AshleyUk
  • TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited July 2016

LOL

Cheers!