Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Home server without static (public) ip?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Home server without static (public) ip?

xrzxrz Member

So i got internet from UPC, 500mb/s, can i use port forwarding to access my home server (for example apache2 on port 80) from outside my home ? all i got is ip but i dont know if i can use it as to access my home server.

Comments

• Yes, either port forward or set your home server using DMZ on your home router. Another option is connecting your server to a VPN server running on a VPS and port forward from the static VPS IP to the VPN client IP using iptables?

Thanked by 1xrz
  • xrzxrz Member

Thx, i am tring r8 this --> installed on my laptop FileZilla Server and in windows firewall i added rules allow in and out for port 21 which is used by FileZilla Server, i can see by http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ that port 21 is open on my UPC ip but i can not connect to it as to FTP, gonna try on raspberry also then on server

• xrzxrz Member
    edited July 2016

All works it was easier as i thinked, no need to pay for static ip :D Also i did the one thing -> hide my home server to became server ip (ovh), port is routed via ssh and also crypted, so now my home server got ip OVH ip plus all traffic is ssh crypted :D

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • @xrz said:
    Thx, i am tring r8 this --> installed on my laptop FileZilla Server and in windows firewall i added rules allow in and out for port 21 which is used by FileZilla Server, i can see by http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ that port 21 is open on my UPC ip but i can not connect to it as to FTP, gonna try on raspberry also then on server

I know you got this solved, but port forwarding SSH traffic needs other ports than 21?

• emgemg Veteran
    edited July 2016

Most ISPs have terms in their contract that do not allow you to run a home server on a residential service with a dynamic IP address. If you want to run a server, they expect you to pay for the much more expensive business class ISP service, which usually comes with a dedicated IP address. Thus, I don't run a web server or mail server out of my home ISP. (I would like to, but I want to stay within the terms of the agreement, and business class is abusively expensive.)

The truth is that I do run "servers" at home. I enabled remote access to the computers in my internal network, which allow me to "remote control" them. I do it through port forwarding, and I map random high ports to SSH (port 22) and other standard ports. I believe that this would be considered "acceptable use" to my ISP.

In addition, I run a business class router/firewall between the home network and the Internet. It sends email notifications to my regular email account. The firewall seems to have its own built-in mail server, and I am stunned that the ISP allows it to send messages to my email address, and that the recipient email server accepts them without authentication. (Note: I changed its mode to use a regular email account for sending, where it authenticates to an SMTP server at my hosting service.)

The key to doing these things with a dynamic IP address is to use a dynamic DNS service tied to one of my domains. The dynamic DNS service automatically updates the IP address address whenever it changes. Whenever I want to reach "homeserver.example.com" the correct IP address for my home server is returned, even if the IP address changes while I am away.

I recommend http://freedns.afraid.org. The basic service is free, but I donate every year to help defray the costs of this worthy service. I have used other dynamic DNS services in the past, but they got to be such a pain (requiring a login every 30 days, etc.) that they were not worth considering.

OFF TOPIC:

In the past, my ISPs frequently changed IP addresses. I believe that the old frequent changes were designed to cause issues for customers who wanted to run servers from their homes.

The last three years, things have changed, and home IP addresses are very stable. The public IP address for my home network has not changed in 18 months or more. I have no hard data to back up my assertion, but I believe that these "semi-static" IP addresses (my term) remain unchanged for long periods of time in support of advertisers, big data companies, and other entities that track your Internet activities, as well as government and law enforcement.

Thanked by 1aboanas93
  • edanedan Member

You can use free DDNS like No-IP.

• emgemg Veteran

@edan said:
    You can use free DDNS like No-IP.

I was a longtime user of DynDNS and also tried No-IP. I dropped DynDNS when their policies for free customers got more and more onerous. I was fed up with the constant emails messages urging me to upgrade to their premium services, and email reminders to log in (via the web) every 30 days. It was annoying. They deliberately made the free service so unpalatable that nobody would really use it. The same is true of No-IP. Just say no.

In contrast, http://freedns.afraid.org just works. It never sends me spam email messages, and does not require special activities to use the free dynamic DNS services. It is run by a one person, and that is not his day job. As I said, it just works.

I am so grateful for the FreeDNS.afraid.org dynamic DNS service and how it operates without spam, etc. that I send a donation every year. I keep a reminder in my calendar to send the donation. I urge others to try it out out and send in a donation, too.

• edanedan Member

emg said: The same is true of No-IP. Just say no.

Personally I use Plus Managed DNS from No-IP because I want to use my own domain name (around $30/y or $2.5/m).

• Some routers are equipped with free DDNS. Asus for example it comes out something like something.asuscom.com. Sure others have similar features.

I personally just use the free ddns with my domain from namecheap. The merlin firmware for newer asus routers works directly with it. Not sure if stock asus firmware do or not. If not they have a small program to install on your computer.

• edan said: Personally I use Plus Managed DNS from No-IP because I want to use my own domain name (around $30/y or $2.5/m).

You can just make a cname to your no-ip domain!

Thanked by 1rm_
  • edanedan Member

linuxthefish said: You can just make a cname to your no-ip domain!

Its all about perfection and double allowed hostname compared to the Enhanced Dynamic DNS @ $24.95/y :)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2016

emg said: Most ISPs have terms in their contract that do not allow you to run a home server on a residential service with a dynamic IP address. If you want to run a server, they expect you to pay for the much more expensive business class ISP service, which usually comes with a dedicated IP address. Thus, I don't run a web server or mail server out of my home ISP. (I would like to, but I want to stay within the terms of the agreement, and business class is abusively expensive.)

This is (usually) not the case in Romania, albeit some mobile (4G) operators do have strange terms.
    All home fixed lines (fiber, but also old copper for rural areas where fiber is not deployed yet) are unfiltered (or, rather, were).
    There are security measures put in place, for example, by provider RDS (DIGI) blocked port 53 UDP which made me switch to Telekom which also offers fixed IP for 1 eur more. I suspect this will spread as the bw is growing every year, you get free upgrades, started in 2005 with 1 Mbps, now I get 1 Gbps for 1/10 of the price. You wont like to have Gbps connections blasting UDP amplification attacks, but i believe that is their business to filter at the routers level, after all, it is very easy to spot a misbehaving IP automatically and block the port or shape the traffic.

emg said: In contrast, http://freedns.afraid.org just works.

+1
    I use them for 10 years and only had occasional short outages due to DDoS. They were also victimized by Microsoft by seizing a domain (my favourite mooo.com) for alleged malware distribution, but managed to get it back.
    They have very simple automated cron jobs generated, in such a way even some copy-paste linux "guru" can use them so I can easily offer my friends OpenWRT routers and instruct them how to host domains at home, even without fixed IPs, not to mention IPv6 tunnels with their own IPs, even if the provider has it, from HE and the like.

@linuxthefish said:

edan said: Personally I use Plus Managed DNS from No-IP because I want to use my own domain name (around $30/y or $2.5/m).

You can just make a cname to your no-ip domain!

That is perfectly possible with freedns.afraid.com I mean full use of domain, not only cname.

• TaoronTaoron Member

There's one company I used to use-- used them for a long time up until cable. They do charge for it, but you could even use it to host a domain for your home! (It's really nice.) The website reminds me of the good old days though.. but maybe they are still providing service? http://www.dynip.com -- I know they are based out of Canada.