Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to clone one 1 Kimsufi server to another?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to clone one 1 Kimsufi server to another?

stabstab Member

I have a Kimsufi KS-1 and just picked up a KS2-E, wanting to just clone everything over and keep going as is. I figured I could just run something like this in rescue mode:

ssh root@ks-1 "dd if=/dev/sda" | dd of=/dev/sda

Which completed successfully after 12 hours, but the new server fails to successfully reboot. Any idea why not?

Comments

• dailydaily Member

rsync

• Well you want to edit network config and anything related. I suspect it's harder if its different virtualization types. I did want to convert kvm to openvz before but in the end i just copied essential files onto a fresh install on different os.

• stabstab Member
    edited June 2016

This is the message I got from Kimsufi:

"The server has started (login is requested on the screen) but inaccessible
    by the network (not pinging)."

So I guess it is a network config issue, I'm not a pro on this stuff so we'll see.

These are both dedicated servers with what I assume is nearly identical hardware so I thought it would just work, but hehe I guess not.

• noamannoaman Member

@stab said:
    I have a Kimsufi KS-1 and just picked up a KS2-E, wanting to just clone everything over and keep going as is. I figured I could just run something like this in rescue mode:

ssh root@ks-1 "dd if=/dev/sda" | dd of=/dev/sda

Which completed successfully after 12 hours, but the new server fails to successfully reboot. Any idea why not?

I believe both have different hardware ...so cloning everything shouldn't work..

Try rsync for everything you need on the new server ...

• Did you change the IP on the new box? (assuming its trying to use the IP of the KS1)
    also using netcat with gzip may have been faster.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • edanedan Member
    edited June 2016

KS-1 and KS-2E have identical hardware except the disk model perhaps so it should work. Remember to disable the firewall first before cloning it just in case if the network name changed. When the network name changed usually it become public networks and the firewall will block RDP connections using it (Kimsufi using DHCP so leave the network as is).

• lionlion Member

Did you found a solution yet?

• PopwaxPopwax Member

Did you have both machine in boot into rescue mode when doing the dd transfer?

• stabstab Member

I gave up on this method because my motherboard turned out to be toast. They put a new one in and I just installed a fresh installation of Arch and I'll just rsync the parts I need.

I do think the method I posted in the OP would work with a bit of post-transfer tweaking but it takes a good 12 hours to complete so I just want to get on with it.