Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Windows work on a Atom N2800?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Will Windows work on a Atom N2800?

myhkenmyhken Member
edited June 2016 in General

Got on of the €7.99 Kimsufi N2800 with 4 GB RAM and 2 TB HDD. Installed CentOS on it, and that's fine. But will Windows Server 2012 R2 work on it? No special task, without FileZilla FTP server.
I know Linux is best, but wonder if anybody have tried Windows Server on this. I have a Intel NUC with a N2820 at home running Windows 7 without any issue, of course not the fastest, but with a SSD and Windows using it for MediaCenter for my TV on the bedrom.

Comments

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Yes, it works.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • DamianDamian Member
    edited June 2016

Yes, it will "work" in the sense that you can install and you can click on things. Will it be usable? Sure, if you don't value your time, since it will be unbelievably slow. I have Win2k12 R2 running on a couple of Celeron N3150s and it looks like an N2800 manages to be even slower: http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Celeron-N3150-vs-Intel-Atom-N2800

Thanked by 1myhken
  • myhkenmyhken Member

Maybe I will try, just have to dust of the Kimsufi Windows install project. I have managed it on another Kimsufi server before, but it was a long time ago.

• Yes, I have installed it on mine. It can be a bit unstable at times, it depends what you're running - so long as you don't run RAM intensive things then it'll work fine

Thanked by 1myhken
  • myhkenmyhken Member

Installing it now.

• edanedan Member

I use it as FTP server (Filezilla) packaged with xampp, and its run nicely (for backup purposes). Upload the files and auto sync it to my Google Drive using their desktop client. Geekbench http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/7171927

Thanked by 1myhken
  • I have same server, but with 2GB RAM and 500GB disk, and it works pretty ok if you are not doing any difficult tasks (for example, my runs IdleMaster for Steam + Steam + Google chrome pretty OK on Windows 7)

Thanked by 1myhken
  • Got 2012 r2 installed on my ks-2e and it's pretty smooth.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • Works fine :)

Thanked by 1myhken
  • stabstab Member

I'd use it as an opportunity to learn Linux, especially if you only want to run a FTP server.

• myhkenmyhken Member

@stab said:
    I'd use it as an opportunity to learn Linux, especially if you only want to run a FTP server.

I have several Linux servers so that is not the issue. But I like Windows Server, so if it work, it will be the best for me.
    Had already installed CentOS with Virtualmin and a FTP account. But will try Windows now, and if it too slow, I change back to CentOS.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Damian said: I have Win2k12 R2 running on a couple of Celeron N3150s and it looks like an N2800 manages to be even slower:

Not sure "manages to be even slower" is fair...the N3150 was released in 2015 and the N2800 in 2011.

• stabstab Member

Sounds good. For what it's worth, I used Server 2012 on my Kimsufi KS-1 for a little while and it was adequate. Not great, but if you don't need it to work like a full-speed desktop it's usable.

• myhkenmyhken Member

Then it's done. Actually not so slow that I'm imaged. Thank you for the support.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

myhken said: Then it's done. Actually not so slow that I'm imaged. Thank you for the support.

I used to have a kidechire with WS2012 for over 4 months and used it for a lot of things, even as a restramer with vlc! It is not the quickest server setup in the world but it works! ;)

Thanked by 2myhken netomx