Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google Faster cable
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Google Faster cable

Comments

• edited June 2016

The real question is, will Japanese VPS bandwidth prices go lower?

Here's the map, anyway:

• I think japan's high price on bandwith is more due to the density of population (and traffic) on the "internal network" than his very-wan one.

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • erkinerkin Member

The service is scheduled to start on June 30, 2016, and will help increase the connectivity between Google's data centers scattered around the globe.

How come a cable beetween west coast and japan island might_ help increase connectivity between datacenters scattered around the globe_?

Thanked by 1muratai
  • CasterCaster Member

@Technowix said:
    I think japan's high price on bandwith is more due to the density of population (and traffic) on the "internal network" than his very-wan one.

Density cough

Well there's the S Korea then, cheap bandwidth plans and Japan has already decent connections i would say. Well more bandwidth would be available for VPS Resellers if japanese people stops dl/up of Anime and JAV.

No offence. Just typical LET.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Technowix said: I think japan's high price on bandwith is more due to the density of population (and traffic) on the "internal network" than his very-wan one.

Close-distance networking is not a problem. It is exactly because of the need for all those undersea cables, is why the bandwidth there is still relatively expensive. Also depends on whether or not the market is competitive or if there's just a couple of large or even state-owned telcos. For example Japan has an okay situation, but e.g. in Australia and India things are worse.

• rds100rds100 Member

The high price of bandwidth usually is the result of lack of competition, and too many regulations that prevent the competition.

• yorkyork Member
    edited June 2016

Many Japanese local IDC providing good network with China and America like sakura.ad.jp,IDCF.jp,cloudcore.jp,ex-cloud are strict at any aspect.Also they're only available to Japanese.

GMO Group(onamae,conoha,z.com,kagoya) are strict with DDOS issue.Once you're DDOSed conoha would delete your VM.

• it should be good news for Asia, but until now I don't see different price for bandwidth in Asia.

• smansman Member
    edited August 2016

From what I have read this does not change anything. There will be more reserved capacity but it won't all be used right away. It just adds one more path and one more option. There are other cables going in as well such as that asian one that facebook is helping to finance. That should be live now or very close. There is another one going in from the Philippines to the US west coast which should be live in a year or two. I think there is another one going in from Australia or NZ to Hawaii or maybe Guam to link up with other existing cables. So it's constant incremental improvements.

• WHTWHT Member

Kim will eat it.

• @Caster said:
    Well more bandwidth would be available for VPS Resellers if japanese people stops dl/up of Anime and JAV.

This statement could be applied to any regions around the world, and why you are specifically targeting Japan? :)

• deployvmdeployvm Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2016

@ewwink said: it should be good news for Asia, but until now I don't see different price for bandwidth in Asia.

>

The cost of internet access in East Asia hugely depends on if the service is residential (usually private customers) or for business (leased lines, office, or data centre). Business is really another story.

For private customers, there are a lot of competition and so there are more affordable options. For example in Taiwan and South Korea with high data transfer rates and low pricing. One way we can look at the lower pricing is that those ISPs do not expect most of their clients to utilise the connection 24x7 and only be bursts. Technically, they are overselling their capacity.

However, that is not the case with data centre services. Do not expect that traffic will be cheap for servers in Korea. Most national ISPs only provide dedicated ports and do flat billing. Combined with SLA, resiliency and other corporate services, the prices are at a premium. In South Korea, you can expect an average of $15-20/USD per 1Mbps. On high commits and long-term contracts, it is possible to obtain a price of $5-6/USD on average.

If you are looking for certain peering to specific destinations (i.e China), then you can expect to pay double.

The situation is also similar in Russian Far-East - large areas of land, small communities and the absence of advance technological platforms for ordinary consumers.

In Australia, the price of traffic is quite high, compared to other areas. If we consider NBN and CVC rates, it is about $15.50 for 1Mbps. National ISPs must also pay for virtual circuits.

I do not believe the introduction of a cable between Japan and America will result in any significant decreases in the cost of traffic.

Thanked by 1ewwink
  • deployvmdeployvm Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2016

In regards to some Japanese ISPs, the pricing can also quite high on small traffic commitments. Although, I personally believe corporate offers are priced more reasonable than Korea.

For example in Softbank JP, it is ~60,000 (yen) = ~$600/USD for 100Mbit/s.
    In Arteria JP, about $5.50/Mbps.

On the other hand, it is possible to obtain $2-3/Mbps on 500Mbps+ commits.