Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scaleway C1?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Scaleway C1?

LinuxLearnerLinuxLearner Member
edited June 2016 in General

I am looking into purchasing a Scaleway C1 for my hosting needs. In particular, I am going to be hosting a website among some other game related things. I know the C1 has ARM cores, but what does this mean for me? Will I still be able to run normal applications? Also, if anyone has the C1, could you please post a benchmark for me? Thanks!!!

P.S: If you know of any cheap dedicated servers in the $3-$5 range or cheaper please let me know!

Thanked by 1xpygmy

Comments

• ardaarda Member

I've tried C1 ARM, but ended using VC1S VPS, and quite happy so far. I was a Wable user before their price change. Service is quite stable for me. I had issues with my payment solution, but it's fixed in the end by their support team.

ARM machine felt quite slow for me.

• @arda said:
    I've tried C1 ARM, but ended using VC1S VPS, and quite happy so far. I was a Wable user before their price change. Service is quite stable for me. I had issues with my payment solution, but it's fixed in the end by their support team.

If you don't mind me asking, were you able to run normal applications on there such as Nginx? I heard of some compatibility issues with ARM based CPU's, not sure if that's OS level or application level...

• ardaarda Member
    edited June 2016

@LinuxLearner I haven't also have a Raspberry Pi, which is also ARM based, and I can run nginx there just as easily. It shouldn't be a problem.

Also, on their baremetal cli showcase, they are installing farm of nginx to dedicated machines, so I guess it'll be okay.

https://blog.scaleway.com/2015/05/20/manage-baremetal-servers-with-scaleway-cli/

But as I've mentioned, their x64 VPS choice for the same price will have better performance, at least it did for me.

• sinsin Member

LinuxLearner said: If you don't mind me asking, were you able to run normal applications on there such as Nginx? I heard of some compatibility issues with ARM based CPU's, not sure if that's OS level or application level

You can install/run nginx. I tried out the C1 but I ended up buying the Online.net Dedibox SC SSD 2016 that is 8.99euro/month which I really love so far. I'm using it to hosts a bunch of Wordpress sites with a LEMP stack. The Scaleway VPSes (even the lowest one) felt faster to me then the C1.

• @arda said:

I also used smallest VPS. It's very stable.