Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS not working after migrating using rsync
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS not working after migrating using rsync

WebGuruWebGuru Member
edited June 2016 in Help

I Followed this tutorial https://lowendbox.com/blog/how-to-migrate-a-hosted-server-in-5-easy-steps-with-rsync/ to move my old VPS to new but now the new VPS isn't working after all the data is moved. When i try to login through SSH the session close automatically within a second of successful login. I tried reboot but same issue.

Any tip to fix it? I had cpanel installed on my old vps and data was around 120+ GB in different places so i wanted to do it as a whole without going for one by one account move.

Both VPS got CentOS 6 64Bit

Comments

• jh_aurologicjh_aurologic Member, Patron Provider

What does the corresponding logs say?

• @Kabeldamagement said:
    What does the corresponding logs say?

Can't access anything because SSH isn't working after the successful login the session close automatically.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

does you provider allow to use some sort of VNC, serial console or rescue mode? this way you could examine the logs.

• @exception0x876 said:
    does you provider allow to use some sort of VNC, serial console or rescue mode? this way you could examine the logs.

Yes they provide VNC but even thats not working i am stuck at a black screen.

• FalzoFalzo Member

did you reboot the vps at all? maybe stop and start it from control panel to make sure it has rebooted properly, maybe it wasn't able to shutdown clean so far...

how are you doing the login? as root or unprivileged user? password or key? if it seems to let you connect but closes afterwards maybe some kind of permission issues with the home directory if unprivileged or something like that? had you created the same user/homedir on the destination server before starting to rsync?

• @Falzo said:
    did you reboot the vps at all? maybe stop and start it from control panel to make sure it has rebooted properly, maybe it wasn't able to shutdown clean so far...

how are you doing the login? as root or unprivileged user? password or key? if it seems to let you connect but closes afterwards maybe some kind of permission issues with the home directory if unprivileged or something like that? had you created the same user/homedir on the destination server before starting to rsync?

Yes i tried shutdown and boot a couple of times but same issue (i am doing root login). Just contacted my VPS provider if they can help me with this issue and they told me "The issue is with minegetty looping and causing the OS to go unresponsive."

I am moving from OpenVZ to KVM.

• FalzoFalzo Member

WebGuru said: I am moving from OpenVZ to KVM.

I suggest to rsync the whole data into an extra folder first and moving out of it folder by folder into the destination system afterwards.
    have a closer look which kernel you are running on your destination system vs. the old OVZ box.

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Could you tell us why you wanted to move your system ?

• just install cpanel in new system and use transfer tool

• yomeroyomero Member

I still have not tried that method to move to kvm. From OVZ to kvm you also need to install grub and a kernel.

Also, personally I include --delete because probably some files on the new system are messing with the system from your old one.

Maybe you can reinstall the new again, and try several times, excluding your data folders and see how it goes with different approaches.

Also, probably from a rescue system you can chroot and try something with your current configuration.

• This looks like something that was in production.

Any time you run something new, you should verify operation in a test environment.

smh.

• jh_aurologicjh_aurologic Member, Patron Provider

@WebGuru said:

@exception0x876 said:

Yes they provide VNC but even thats not working i am stuck at a black screen.

Then you should maybe have a look at your /etc/inittab (e.g. boot grml, mount your disk and chroot into your system) ;-)

• ok I have given up this idea of moving the whole system this clone isn't going to work for me at least so what i am going to do now is install WHM on my new VPS (luckily ip is eligible for Cpan trial) and move all acounts. Thn i will copy the whole old VPS to a new directory in new VPS and get all the files required from there because there are so many files and backups etc (not associated with cpanel) that i really need so i guess this is the way for me.