Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Removing Recieved from in SMTP ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Removing Recieved from in SMTP ?

CasterCaster Member

Is it possible to mask
Received: from

when sending out emails ? i have multiple cluster setupped and the proxy pass is over a ddos protected vps . But when a email is sent it shows the current node .

Using PHPMailer btw.

Comments

• no thats not possible to hidde.
    why wyou want it tp be hidden?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited June 2016

Yes this can be removed by your MTA. I use headers_remove on exim, for example.

@perryoo11 said:

To protect backend server IPs when the front end is protected by a reverse proxy (like CloudFlare). Exposing a backend IP can assist attackers in going directly to your server and bypassing front-end protection.

Thanked by 2raindog308 Caster
  • @jarland said:
    Yes this can be removed by your MTA. I use headers_remove on exim, for example.

@perryoo11 said:

To protect backend server IPs when the front end is protected by a reverse proxy (like CloudFlare). Exposing a backend IP can assist attackers in going directly to your server and bypassing front-end protection.

ok my bad.

• RazzaRazza Member

jarland said: Yes this can be removed by your MTA. I use headers_remove on exim, for example.

What Jarland said works fine, the way you can hide the Received: from depends if your sending the email from the server you trying to hide or if your sending it via a other server.

If you sending from the server you what to hide could use Amazon Ses or any other transaction email service which remove the Received: from of the server sending the email.

If you sending via a other server if you got root access to it you can do what jarland says just removed the headers containing your server ip your trying to hide in it

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited June 2016

Sending via MXroute also strips the backend server IP now days. Just tossing that out there :P

Thanked by 1Brannin
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

jarland said: To protect backend server IPs when the front end is protected by a reverse proxy (like CloudFlare). Exposing a backend IP can assist attackers in going directly to your server and bypassing front-end protection.

Interesting...that had never occurred to me. I have all my VPSes (and home PCs) email out through a set of VMs serving as relays, mainly to get around Comcast's "no SMTP from our residential IPs" restrictions and keep RBL monitoring to a minimum.

But it had never occurred to me that someone might examine Received headers...hmmm...

• RazzaRazza Member
    edited June 2016

raindog308 said: But it had never occurred to me that someone might examine Received headers...hmmm...

I wouldn't worry too much unless your wanting to hide the origin of the email sent via your relay, i run my own mail server too, i don't bother removing the received headers i don't care if someone look's at the header's and see my home or mobile carrier ip address