Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are you looking for in VPS hosting?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What are you looking for in VPS hosting?

rethinkvpsrethinkvps Member
edited December 2011 in General

What do you look for in a VPS, such as specific preloaded templates or anything else?

Comments

• High uptime, stable and good performance, decent specs and decent price for specs provided.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • I'm a bit surprised to say this but being able to reach the sites that I need to reach. I do a fair amount of security work and I need to view some less common security sites if you know what I mean. ;) The library blocks most of them (But allows access to those wat charge a fee to view and are weeks out of date. Go figure.) and I use tunneling t view them. Having had a vps in Germany, I discovered my of those security sites block German IP addresses.

Came as a surprise.

• -Reliable servers.
    -Competent and friendly support staff with good response times.
    -Enough performance to do everything that I need to do.

• The #1 thing I care about is consistency. Performance doesn't particularly matter too much to me. I don't need 150MB/s writes, 100Mb/s network, etc, as long as its consistent.

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited December 2011

For me, a CPU beast xD
    BW >= 400GB per month
    And low latency (this depends to my public)

And I am talking about my gameservers n_n
    Webhosting and so, I don't care :P

• For an LEB, I look for response to tickets within 24 hours, transparency, decent speeds, and respectable uptime.

Thanked by 2drmike Infinity
  • Certainly @flam316, I forgot about the QoS (lol).
    I need decent support, with decent speed and no some idiots like lots of providers have.

• What kind of speeds do you expect to get from your VPS if they advertise a 1Gb/s port?

• What I look for in a VPS is already documented in the numerous other threads asking the exact same question, which are posted both on this forum and on WHT.

• LongShotLongShot Member
    edited December 2011

I'd like different RAM/HD/bandwidth/processor combinations at any given price from a single provider. For example, $7 per month would buy either (1) a base package; (2) a high-performance package with more RAM/cores but less disk space/bandwidth, (3) a high-volume package with extra RAM/bandwidth but less disk space, or (4) a backup-type package with lots of disk space but minimal RAM and one core. Right now, you have to buy from different providers, or pay more for extra features that you really don't want.

• What about custom packages?

• fanfan Veteran

Price and stability should be the most important factors to me. As @LEA described " a starving student who does not have $50/month renting a managed VPS to host your forums", I have a tight budget on these things and I don't want a super cheap VPS with ultra-low uptime, so resource is okay to be low in exchange for stability for me.

• Semi-managed would be a waste of money for me. I just need someone that I can contact when my VPS is down, having high load for no reason, or unexplained network slowness.

• Unmanaged is fine for the most part but I would like to have a sounding board to bounce things off of if I have a question.

heh Firefox wants to call it Undamaged. That's a plus as well. :)

• @drmike said:
    heh Firefox wants to call it Undamaged. That's a plus as well. :)

Iceweasel suggests Mismanaged. I guess it knows the LEB market....

• Stable, accessable from my country,private vpn, wordpress, and some help when I encounter problems. Self-managed is OK to me. But it would be appriciated if the supporter could give me some hints on where to find the answers.