Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Input on server upgrade
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Input on server upgrade

Hey guys, first post here! Long-time browser and decided to finally sign up :)

Currently working with a VPS server to host WordPress websites and it's come time to upgrade so I figured this would be the place to get some input!

Our current server has 4GB of RAM, 40GB SSD Storage, and 3TB bandwidth. With this we are running into issues with the amount of RAM and is causing intermittent errors on our hosted sites. Sporting a lightning-fast nginx/varnish setup so our CPU usage is very low.

Now to the question of upgrading.. We are going with VPSDime and have questions on the Linux VPS versus Premium VPS. The two plans within our budget that we are comparing are below:

LINUX VPS ($42/m):
4 (v)CPU
36GB of RAM
180GB SSD Storage
12TB Traffic
10Gbit Connection

PREMIUM VPS ($60/m):
3 Dedicated CPU
12GB of RAM
180GB SSD Storage
12TB Traffic
1Gbit Connection

Hoping to get some input on their advertised premium features to help us make a wise decision.

Real Virtualization - Don't they use OpenVZ for Linux/Premium?
Fully Dedicated Resources - Are the dedicated resources enough to justify the trade in amount of RAM?
Nightly Backups - We already have an R1Soft license and use it for backups currently.
Full SSD Storage - Both have SSD storage, is only the premium plan RAID protected?
Designed for Enterprise - With a maximum of 8 VPS per node on premium, how many average on standard? I've heard VPSDime is pretty good at not overloading nodes.

Here are some charts for our current resource usage:

Thanks and looking forward to what you guys have to say! :)

Comments

• Honestly at such budget, I would opt for a dedicated server, you can easily find an E3 at $60/mo.

And will give you much better performance

• yomeroyomero Member

@MrRapidHost said:
    Honestly at such budget, I would opt for a dedicated server, you can easily find an E3 at $60/mo.

And will give you much better performance

Personally, I would do it only if that server has redundant storage. Otherwise, I can't consider that for production stuff.

• tommytommy Member

I never used their premium plan, so I cant comment on that, but why dont ask them to lend you vps for a week for testing purpose? I'll answer all of your question

• First off, welcome to LET, hope you enjoy your stay here :)

Second, the nodes aren't overloaded because they're charging $60 for 12GB of RAM and that's $480/node leaving more than enough room to get a decent 96/128GB server for clients.

• @FlamesRunner said:
    First off, welcome to LET, hope you enjoy your stay here :)

Second, the nodes aren't overloaded because they're charging $60 for 12GB of RAM and that's $480/node leaving more than enough room to get a decent 96/128GB server for clients.

Thanks, I'm sure I will! :)

Can you elaborate a bit on the last part of your comment about getting a decent 96/128GB server for clients? What do you mean by that?

• DamianDamian Member

BigNerdBrian said: We are going with VPSDime

I'm going to put a wrench in your works on that: the premium VPS plans are out of stock with no ETA for replenishment. That being said, do feel free to open a ticket and we can work something out.

For your questions, the best way is to contact us via a ticket. We're always here to help.

• @Damian said:

BigNerdBrian said: We are going with VPSDime

I'm going to put a wrench in your works on that: the premium VPS plans are out of stock with no ETA for replenishment. That being said, do feel free to open a ticket and we can work something out.

For your questions, the best way is to contact us via a ticket. We're always here to help.

Hey Damian, thanks for chiming in! Are you able to answer the questions at the end of the post or will I have to open a ticket for this information?

We're leaning towards the Linux VPS w/ 36GB of RAM and want to confirm if that's the best choice for our needs. If so, then it's ok if the premium is out of stock :)

• DamianDamian Member

BigNerdBrian said: Are you able to answer the questions at the end of the post or will I have to open a ticket for this information?

I'd really prefer you to open a ticket. We can then associate that ticket with your new client account if you decide to buy from us so that it can be easily referenced in the future. We do not "compete" in this market, and you'll get a much faster response since it's staffed 24/7 instead of whenever I happen to click over to LET.

• @Damian said:

BigNerdBrian said: Are you able to answer the questions at the end of the post or will I have to open a ticket for this information?

I'd really prefer you to open a ticket. We can then associate that ticket with your new client account if you decide to buy from us so that it can be easily referenced in the future. We do not "compete" in this market, and you'll get a much faster response since it's staffed 24/7 instead of whenever I happen to click over to LET.

Honesty yo

• Thank you everyone for the input! Companies aside, no one has really answered what we're looking for help on :(

Will the Linux VPS listed below be on par performance-wise with the premium one listed based on specs? I've included screenshots of our resources usage for reference to our specific situation. Thanks!

LINUX VPS: 4 (v)CPU, 36GB of RAM, 180GB SSD Storage, 12TB Traffic, 10Gbit Connection

PREMIUM VPS: 3 Dedicated CPU, 12GB of RAM, 180GB SSD Storage, 12TB Traffic, 1Gbit Connection

• DamianDamian Member

Based on your screenshots, you're using about 2 gigabyes of RAM total, and very little CPU usage (50% of one core at max, most of the time much less it seems based on the average) so yes, either will suit your needs. I would go with the premium VPS if having dedicated resources is important to you.

• Just wanted to update this and say that we were taken very good care of at VPSDime :)

Thanks all for your help!

Thanked by 1Damian