Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quick Way of Transferring Server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Quick Way of Transferring Server?

Domin43Domin43 Member

What's the easiest and best way to basically migrate one server to another without any need of changing anything network wise etc?

Comments

• DumbledoreDumbledore Member
    edited June 2016

rsync -a ~/dir1 username@remote_host:destination_directory

• justvmjustvm Member, Patron Provider

is it a dedicate or a VPS server?

• tommytommy Member

@vpsrus said:

what the hell? that makes no difference. stop spamming

Thanked by 2MikeA century1stop
  • justvmjustvm Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2016

@tommy said:

@vpsrus said:

what the hell? that makes no difference. stop spamming

Sorry it was not my intention. only one thing about my question, if he has a VPS KVM he can do it with "dd" if is VPS with openvz he can do it with "vzdump" and so on, this is why my question
    so I will rest my posts on this thread.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • yomeroyomero Member
    edited June 2016

Agree with vpsrus to be honest.

By the way, I was bein lazy some days ago, and moved a server (OpenVZ to OpenVZ) with this guide:

https://lowendbox.com/blog/how-to-migrate-a-hosted-server-in-5-easy-steps-with-rsync/

Don't copy paste the command, because the dashes are broken, and also it need double dashes on the parameters.

Edit: Also, I used --delete, to eliminate files that didn't exist on the old server.

Edit 2: You should consider stopping services writing to disk, (databases for example) to avoid some data corruption on the destination server.

Thanked by 2justvm Domin43
  • +1 @stolipeach rsync would be the best all rounder
    other suggestions require certain access that may not be available or provided

• @vpsrus said:

KVM to OpenVZ

@yomero said:
    Agree with vpsrus to be honest.

By the way, I was bein lazy some days ago, and moved a server (OpenVZ to OpenVZ) with this guide:

https://lowendbox.com/blog/how-to-migrate-a-hosted-server-in-5-easy-steps-with-rsync/

Don't copy paste the command, because the dashes are broken, and also it need double dashes on the parameters.

Edit: Also, I used --delete, to eliminate files that didn't exist on the old server.

Edit 2: You should consider stopping services writing to disk, (databases for example) to avoid some data corruption on the destination server.

Thanks I'll try that and reply if success.

• Update: I've tried yomero method it all transferred now i need to figure out how to get it working from kvm to openvz.

• yomeroyomero Member

From KVM to VZ it should work fine. I will try this later if I get some spare time.

If I can think in a possible issue... Probably you may need to reconfigure the network in your control panel.