Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do YOU setup ipv6 on your websites?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do YOU setup ipv6 on your websites?

jollymonjollymon Member
edited June 2016 in General

I personally dont bother, but maybe I should? Good poll topic.

"Yes and I dont know if it increases traffic" === "Yes and it doesn't increase traffic" (cant edit poll)

ipv6 poll
  1. Do you setup ipv6 on websites you run? Does it increase traffic?54 votes
    1. Yes and it increases traffic
      14.81%
    2. Yes and I dont know if it increases traffic
      40.74%
    3. No
      44.44%

Comments

• FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited June 2016

You should add more content in your thread rather than simply adding a poll with two sentences.

• @FlamesRunner said:
    You should add more content in your thread rather than simply adding a poll with two sentences.

I'm practicing KISS today....

• edited June 2016

How about a "Yes and it doesn't increase traffic"

I run IPv6 when available mostly just to make sure that it works, not that it increases web traffic.

I have also run into issues when running IPv6, particularly with email. On my mail server I disable IPv6.

• @globalRegisters said:
    How about a "Yes and it doesn't increase traffic"

Yes and I dont know if it increases traffic === Yes and it doesn't increase traffic lets say since I dont ?think? I can edit the poll.

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

I don't, and probably wont until my ISP rolls it out.

• NixtrenNixtren Member
    edited June 2016

@jollymon said:
    Yes and I dont know if it increases traffic === Yes and it doesn't increase traffic lets say since I dont ?think? I can edit the poll.

Well, there's a difference between not knowing if it increases traffic (because you never took attention to it) and knowing it doesn't increase traffic (because you took attention to it) :P

• boerndboernd Member
    edited June 2016

I do, because there are many cable providers in my target country, that provide their clients IPv6 only internet connections (IPv4 only through congested carrier NATs).
    And I do video streaming...

Thanked by 1rm_
  • LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider

Almost everything over here is IPv6 ready. But I can really say that it has increased traffic.
    What I see is less IPv4 traffic, while IPv6 is slightly increasing every month.

Thanked by 1sin
  • I think we can say that the "implement" side has it and its a watch and see about the traffic.

• sinsin Member

I setup IPv6 on all of my websites. Last time I had one of my servers nullrouted there were still plenty of IPv6 visitors showing up to browse my websites.

• EvolutionHostEvolutionHost Member, Host Rep

It is always a good idea to ensure IPv6 compatibility from the get-go. While it may not be too popular with ISP's at the moment, it is surely going to be the default in the future.

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited June 2016

Removed it since my online.net ipv6 started to randomly die when using lots addresses.

• jh_aurologicjh_aurologic Member, Patron Provider

@linuxthefish said:
    Removed it since my online.net ipv6 started to randomly die when using lots addresses.

Most routers have problems holding the ndp table when using a large amout of ipv6 addresses. This is related due to their CAM Space. Maybe Online.net has rate limited your "usage" to avoid cam shortage. How much IP's did you use? :-D

• NomadNomad Member

@linuxthefish said:

On online.net,
    I assign a /56 to my dedicated machines. Pfsense takes it and distributes smaller subnets to VMs, VPN etc. But from time to time I do have connectivity problems as well. It's not rock solid.

• cassacassa Member

Yes, both personally and for HEXODO. I have no idea if it increases traffic, but it's not my intention.
    Only thing I'm waiting for is more home internet providers to provide IPv6 as well.

• @cassa said:
    Only thing I'm waiting for is more home internet providers to provide IPv6 as well.

All signs point to mobile users being the first big wave of IPv6 consumers:

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/83051/apple-requires-apps-to-support-ipv6-only-networks#latest